X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weatherwizard-Corey
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jul 1, 2008

Painted on Skin? Fan or Foe?

I have to say I'm not a big fan of heads where the skin is painted on or looks painted on like Pike. Was disappointed when I got him thru the mail. I hope that BSG won't end up that way. Really liked Khan and the other retro Emce stuff. It may seem strange but with the aliens like the salt Vampire it' fine to me to have it painted it's just with "humans" that I dislike the look. Anybody feel the same? Just voiceing the opinion primarily because I don't want the BSG to look that way. Hopefully they will look more like the Zica Buck Rogers. What do you all think?
    Wanted:- 12" Robin Shoes; Mego Batcave, Mego Die-cast Batman-loose, Mattel-BSG Gold Cylon loose.
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

I hate painted skin on 1/9 figures. High-quality 1/6 doesn't bother me, like on Dragon or Sideshow figures. The skin on Mego's Captain America and Batman figures bother me a lot, unless it's a good, solid coat that hasn't faded.

Comment

• drmego
      EMCE Toys
      • Jun 15, 2001

Here is a picture of the Pike head dropped in acetone for about two hours.

www.drmego.com
      www.megoman.com
      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

Noted that the vinyl is pretty light. Have you tried a tan RIT dye dip?

Also, did the head itself shrink up a bit with the acetone bath?
        Last edited by rche; Oct 12, '11, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
          Creature Of The Night
          • May 14, 2011

I think that everything we've gotten from EMCE has met or exceeded the retail value and my aesthetic expectations. My opinion is that it's impossible to meet everyone's bizarre quirks & expectations. So I say, let the expert creators create to their heart's content and let those who are less than satisfied with the final product customize to their heart's content. And for those who aren't skilled enough to customize, be happy with what's on your plate.

Son: "I'm sorry Mom, but I really don't care for the way you glazed the Thanksgiving Turkey. Anyone else here dissatisfied with Mom's cooking? I'm just sayin' cuz I don't want the Christmas Ham to suck too."

Mom: "COOK YOU'RE OWN FLIPPIN' MEAL SON!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

not a fan, especially on Pike. The big head and the terrible paint killed my interest in that one.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Pike was one of my most anticipated figures of the retro Trek line but turned out the most disapointing. I bought him anyway of course, but the oversized head, painted skin and poor likeness left me cold. Khan was done 100% perfect in my opinion.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Chris
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                So I say, let the expert creators create to their heart's content and let those who are less than satisfied with the final product customize to their heart's content. And for those who aren't skilled enough to customize, be happy with what's on your plate.
                Well put. I can see both sides. With the collector friendly packaging you can open it up and experiment. The RIT Dye suggestion might really be the answer for those that don't like the painted head.
                If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Depends on the characters, Uni Monsters? WIN!

Pike? Not so much although if the head were a little smaller, I wouldn't give two squirts.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• boss
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 18, 2003

***disclaimer*** these heads are in no way associated with the new BBP SMDM line. they are the "vinyl" custom heads that a member here made ***disclaimer***

I think it really depends on the execution. I recently painted an entire SMDM custom head including the flesh tone (shown on the right). While it looked good, when I went back and painted just the eyes and hair on another head (shown on left) I was much happier. I think the non-painted flesh looks more like a mego head. It's not better or worse, it's just what it is and what I was comfortable with...

Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• David Lee
                      The Fix-it-up Chappie
                      • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by boss
                      ***disclaimer*** these heads are in no way associated with the new BBP SMDM line. they are the "vinyl" custom heads that a member here made ***disclaimer***

I think it really depends on the execution. I recently painted an entire SMDM custom head including the flesh tone (shown on the right). While it looked good, when I went back and painted just the eyes and hair on another head (shown on left) I was much happier. I think the non-painted flesh looks more like a mego head. It's not better or worse, it's just what it is and what I was comfortable with...

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/5/9/SMDM3.jpg
                      I agree Bryan, the cast flesh tone is tricky to get right, but if you do it's the best! ...those look spectacular by the way.

Dave

Comment

• trekman101
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 6, 2009

Vinyl skin that matches the body color and painted hair is the best look in my opinion...the retro Mattel's pulled that off pretty well.....but it's not always possible
                        "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• trekman101
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 6, 2009

Originally posted by boss

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/5/9/SMDM3.jpg
                          The painted head came out very life like Bryan...but the hair looks better on the vinyl head...it's the color contrast I think
                          "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

I prefer molded in color. Did not at all care for the painted head on Pike.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jetzjungle
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jul 25, 2011

Pike's painted face was a mess! He does not seem to belong with any of the other Trek figures! I hope down the road he gets re-done correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎