• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornelius POTA
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2011

EMCE vs Mego

What's the latest on EMCE ?

Picked up a few POTA last year from EMCE.

Do you think EMCE products will be valuable in 25 years like Mego is ?

I'm thinking not, but whats your take ?

Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
    :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
    I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

There are certainly much less quantities of EMCE product being produced compared to Mego. However, they are ending up in the hands of collectors who tend to keep them in better condition than the kids of the seventies.

I've notice a certain demand for the Gorn and Romulan, mostly anecdotal.

I think the main concern would be that fans of Star Trek TOS are quite literally going to be dying off in the next 25 years. Already you see the prices coming down on the original Trek Megos. Whether that is because of the repros or just the cycle of that particular branch of fandom. I guess a bit of both. The Neptunian hasn't been rereleased and he's pretty readily available for reasonable prices.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Pretty much all action figure lines go through cycles of demand. I don't see any reason why EMCE wouldn't follow in the same pattern. I'm sure the next generation of collectors will see this line and want them badly. The fact so few of them were made, will make them highly collectible.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>I don't see any reason why EMCE wouldn't follow in the same pattern.

I agree. They go back a bit far nostalgia-wise, which I think will lower their long-term desirability. (So.... our kids, and their kids won't have the memories of having played with them.) I think the low runs will offset that though, and completist collectors will NEED them. Stuff like POTA and the superheroes are never gonna fade away.

Don C.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
          >I don't see any reason why EMCE wouldn't follow in the same pattern.

I agree. They go back a bit far nostalgia-wise, which I think will lower their long-term desirability. (So.... our kids, and their kids won't have the memories of having played with them.) I think the low runs will offset that though, and completist collectors will NEED them. Stuff like POTA and the superheroes are never gonna fade away.

Don C.
          Excellent points!

Comment

• megoat
            A Therefore Experience
            • Jun 10, 2003

IMO, they won't sell for much more than their original price.

There is a world of difference between Megos which were manufactured as TOYS and marketed to children vs EMCE's which are manufactured as COLLECTIBLES and marketed to COLLECTORS. The general pattern for these sorts of items is they do not have long lasting interest from collectors.....

Does any of the retro GI JOE stuff from the 90s command attention from collectors today?

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by megoat
              IMO, they won't sell for much more than their original price.

There is a world of difference between Megos which were manufactured as TOYS and marketed to children vs EMCE's which are manufactured as COLLECTIBLES and marketed to COLLECTORS. The general pattern for these sorts of items is they do not have long lasting interest from collectors.....

Does any of the retro GI JOE stuff from the 90s command attention from collectors today?

Good point.

Maybe because of the low run that ECME did will increase the value ?

Have to agree with the GI JOE 90's stuff as well.

Why would someone pay top dollar for a EMCE says in 20 - 30 years when you can probably still get a MEGO figure for the same price ?

Original MEGO would have to rise 10 folds and be to expensive for your average collector, and the they could get ECME much cheaper.

Just saying..

Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
              :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
              I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• tllgn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2010

i think there are some that will do well. i think for example that the retro dc figures will do better then famous covers .and that the 6 new trek figures will do better then playmates trek figures . famous covers and playmates star trek are pretty cheap.the pawn star guys bought a star trek collection of mostly playmates figures for over $6000,but most of that stuff was all signed. all in all ,just like mego some lines will be expensive ,like superheros and others like waltons . ill be to old to give a rats behind .

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

No, Megos Belongs to the heart and minds of kids from the 70's when we first laid eyes on them in stores and begged our parents to buy them or opened them up on christmas morning, watching the commercials come on the TV and losing your mind cause you wanted it. seeing them in catalogs and telling your grandparents this is what you want for your birthday.

As good as EMCE is it can never duplicate that moment in time that has come and gone and lives in our memories.......recreating a memory is not as thrilling as when you first experienced it.
                  it's nice that you may buy your kids them but unless they are sharing the same toys with other kids it's not going to be the same. all the boys I knew had Megos, Big Jims or Gijoes and other action figures....and we could play with our friends or play with the figures we didn't have.

EMCE's as stated are collector toys and i don't see a big market value in the long run......
                  Last edited by kingdom warrior; Aug 8, '11, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I think many of the Retro figures will remain highly collectible. Look no further than the Green Arrow for a quick reference.

Comment

• drmego
                      EMCE Toys
                      • Jun 15, 2001

One of the reasons for making new figures is that the plastic used to
                      make vintage MEGOs will start breaking down in the next 10 years.

All plastics have a life span and toys have the shortest because
                      they are considered disposable - children destroy toys.
                      www.drmego.com
                      www.megoman.com
                      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

What about the Mego heads? Most of mine have remained just fine.

Comment

• megoat
                          A Therefore Experience
                          • Jun 10, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                          I think many of the Retro figures will remain highly collectible. Look no further than the Green Arrow for a quick reference.
                          Your example illustrates only short term interest. Many modern collectibles have short term interest. I guarantee nobody will care about that Green Arrow in 10 to 15 years......

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

Reflecting on the short term. GA rose quickly in price on the secondary market after the first release. Then the second batch were sold on Matty and the price went back down to retail.

Fast forward to now, and the secondary value on GA is back up to (or exceeding) the price from the first bump.

Although I would never guarantee anything, I think this illustrates some interest in this line. We don't know the specific sales info, but I would wager that relatively speaking, the numbers are pretty low on this line; especially the Matty exclusives and Wave 4.

I don't really think all of them will skyrocket in value, and I would say the cost of storing them would probably outweigh any returns one would get. But I do think many of these figures will hold their own in the collectible world.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Well if we're to use Paul's example of what will happen to Mego's in the next 10 years, then we're going to have a supply problem which could very easily increase the values of other brands like Mattel, Famous Covers, and Hasbro.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎