Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venture Brothers homage/parody Characters.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Venture Brothers homage/parody Characters.

Looking at these guys, there was never any doubt that Orpheus was a loving tribute to Dr Strange, but it just occurred to me that Phantom Limb, with his purple cowl, jumpsuit and domino mask, likely is a pastiche of The Phantom.

Jefferson Twlight of course takes his cue from Blade.

The Mr Fantastic character...

Would it ever be possible for Action Johnny to make the BBP line-up? He cuts pretty close to the original.

What other parody/homage characters are there in Venture Brothers? What is the likelihood that they could make the transition from animation to action figure format?

Obviously David Bowie wouldn't, nor the Prodigy guy. Dr Killenger managed to skate that line of character based on Henry Kissinger... just like Duke in Doonsbury is based on Hunter S Thompson.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 19, '11, 4:21 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Baron Werner Ünderbheit is a Doom parody, but could be made as he's slowly grown to be fairly different. He'd make for a fun figure too.

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
      Mighty Man/Monster Maker
      • Aug 14, 2007

There's a whole messed-up Fantastic Four behind Mr. Impossible.

Brock is Race Bannon. Dr. Venture is a grown up, pill-popping Johnny Quest and his dad is Benton Quest. The boys (Hank and Dean) and like the Hardy Boys. There was a pretty messed up Scooby Gang in (?) Viva Los Muertos.

Did I ever mention that I was SURE, Dr. Orpheus was "Dr. Orifice"? Oops.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
      https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• drmego
        EMCE Toys
        • Jun 15, 2001

Molotov C***tease is a Black Widow parody.
        Shoreleave is an 80s GI Joe character.
        The head of OSI is Thunderbolt Ross.

The parody that made me the craziest was
        the human callus - Sally's retarded brother (bad word)
        Ned - an obvious send up of the Thing.
        www.drmego.com
        www.megoman.com
        www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by GaryPlaysWithDolls
          The boys (Hank and Dean) and like the Hardy Boys.
          I always thought there was a little of Hank and Don Hall (the secret IDs of Hawk and Dove) in there too...
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jimsmegos
            Mego Dork
            • Nov 9, 2008

Personally every character I've experienced on the show (thru Season 2) I think they would all make GREAT figures. The colors, the designs, the whole VB Universe is excellent.

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

Agreed.

Can't wait for Killinger, and I will begin work on a custom Speedy (Monarch's Ill-fated young henchman, not Green Arrow's ill-fated sidekick) as soon as I can get another 24.

I would like to do a LOT of VB customs.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by samurainoir
                Looking at these guys, there was never any doubt that Orpheus was a loving tribute to Dr Strange, but it just occurred to me that Phantom Limb, with his purple cowl, jumpsuit and domino mask, likely is a pastiche of The Phantom.

Preserving Mego history today, making Mego history tomorrow.

Jefferson Twlight of course takes his cue from Blade.

The Mr Fantastic character...

Would it ever be possible for Action Johnny to make the BBP line-up? He cuts pretty close to the original.

What other parody/homage characters are there in Venture Brothers? What is the likelihood that they could make the transition from animation to action figure format?

Obviously David Bowie wouldn't, nor the Prodigy guy. Dr Killenger managed to skate that line of character based on Henry Kissinger... just like Duke in Doonsbury is based on Hunter S Thompson.
                Col. Gathers seems to be based on Hunter too. To me,Jonas Sr. reminds me of Doc Savage. Still trying to figure out who Captain Sunshine is based on. And then there are more obvious ones like Steve Summers.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  Col. Gathers seems to be based on Hunter too. To me,Jonas Sr. reminds me of Doc Savage. Still trying to figure out who Captain Sunshine is based on. And then there are more obvious ones like Steve Summers.
                  Wasn't Jonas Sr.'s men also reminiscent of Doc Savage's team as well?
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

So, the phantom limb proto has bicep swivels. None of the figures I have so Far seem to. The clear limbs work for his electroshock power, but were the swivels included so we can pop The limbs off for a more show accurate look?
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by samurainoir
                      Wasn't Jonas Sr.'s men also reminiscent of Doc Savage's team as well?

Totally.

Big Doc Savage fan. I can name the pastiches of all of the characters if you need.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

I really dislike the show Venture Bros. It falls in with other popular shows like Trailer Park Boys and SouthPark as far as humor, all of which I find trashy.

That said, I own two of the figures and plan to buy the phantom dude too. Don't know wheo the heck they are, but they are made pretty darn cool.
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

Unfortunate that you feel that way, but I respect your opinion and do agree to an extent.

Some of the humor is lowbrow and vulgar, but the plot and character development is unrivaled by almost anything.

The characters really DO go through real personal growth.

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                            Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                            • Aug 14, 2007

I like Venturestein (Brock, you hit him so hard he has an afro!)

Oh, and Dr. Girlfriend looks like Jackie O.

The henchman are supposed to look like Jerry Seinfeld and Kevin Smith.

I forgot about the OSI G.i. JOe/shield. The little osi intro is worth the price of admission.

I have the dvd's of the first couple of seasons. Makes me want to go back and watch them!

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
                            https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

I have all four seasons and it really holds up.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎