X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twiki1979
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 21, 2009

The END of the retro line

I think this is a HUGE let down...I've enjoyed going to the stores with my kids and seeing them get excited over the retro heroes and having as much fun playing with them as i did with my megos. There are so many characters that would have been amazing to own....everyone has their favorites but for me I think the real let down is NO Plastic Man.....I still can't get over Mego never making any figure of him besides the stretch one and just when Plastic Man has become a hot character thanks to Batman - The Brave & The Bold this line gets cancelled. It would have been awesome to finally see an 8" Mego style Plastic Man. I was hoping for a Robin to go with Batman,A Hawkman just makes all the sense in the world,Supergirl & Batgirl which would obviously sell well since everything Batgirl & Supergirl always sells.

It's really a shame...this line was one of the only toy lines i had any interest in at all....This one and the pop heroes which I think are awesome....now i'm down to only that line to enjoy.....
  • GUYx1
    FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
    • Apr 20, 2005

The CUTE sculpts on the Mattel 8" figures really didn't win me over.
    It Certainly makes the toys look dated. I know that was the point, but a good chunk of the Mego collectors are already buying Medicom, Sideshow & HOT TOYS figures.
    It would have been nice if they had spent half the energy on 8" figures that was spent creating a toyline of 13" DC characters that are out of scale with current 1/6 toys. If they tried making MODERN 8" figures. Todd Macfarlene type detailing, but removable costumes.
    Some toy company like HOT TOYS needs to make 8" figures that are HIP, to get people drooling.

It just takes a HIT series that is NOT trying to be retro to do well.
    If a big seller comes out as 8", then 8" toys could one day be in vogue again.
    Only time will tell. It takes a while, but I still have a few years left in me.
    Cheers,
    Guyx1

Comment

• jimsmegos
      Mego Dork
      • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by GUYx1

It just takes a HIT series that is NOT trying to be retro to do well.
      If a big seller comes out as 8", then 8" toys could one day be in vogue again.
      Only time will tell. It takes a while, but I still have a few years left in me.
      Se my thread and blog on the Venture Bros. I think you will find what you seek

Comment

• GUYx1
        FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
        • Apr 20, 2005

I just never LOVED the retro figures as much as I wanted to,
        when they were still here.
        I wanted to love them, but I could never love them for themselves.
        I always felt the need to change them.
        Because of that, there was always a little resentment.
        I found myself often looking to other toylines for enjoyment.
        I put a lot of work into appreciating the retro action toys, but it just didn't work out. They will be missed, but Dr Mego's other children still remain.
        DR Mego's monsters and Bif Bang Pow releases always seem so much cooler than the Heroes anyway. Hopefully they can keep this going for awhile longer.
        Last edited by GUYx1; Jun 17, '11, 11:11 AM.
        Cheers,
        Guyx1

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
          Time to feed the cat
          • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
          Hmmmph. Now maybe we can all be friends again instead of arguing over those stupid figures?

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Not every figure they made personally interested me, like all those GL variants, but they had a great run and I would have never thought I'd get a Mego-Like classic Cheetah figure before this.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jemboy2004
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 14, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
              Not every figure they made personally interested me, like all those GL variants, but they had a great run and I would have never thought I'd get a Mego-Like classic Cheetah figure before this.
              I love the GL's but the Sinestro variant one I would have liked Star Sapphire instead or Jade or some other female and Kyle I could've lived without but I like them both enough to buy and I did but none of them are as good as having Cheetah! Love that re-mego Cheetah. I only wish we could have gotten Giganta too! Oh well time for me to accept the end of this great line.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jemboy2004
                I only wish we could have gotten Giganta too!
                Totally! A Legion of Doom style Giganta would have been awesome.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Tothiro
                  Kitten Mittens
                  • Aug 28, 2008

A Blue Beetle to put on a T2 fat body would have been epic.

Comment

• jemboy2004
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 14, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    Totally! A Legion of Doom style Giganta would have been awesome.
                    well I'll have to settle for the DC Direct one that you put together. She's about Mego size. It was originally why I got her to go with my mego's and I was hoping I wouldn't need her but I guess I do. The DC Direct Giganta will look good with my other LOD re-mego's and the one's mego did, like Riddler and I guess that's all mego did from LOD.... Dam why couldn't emce had gotten to all the LOD! DAM... Oh wait i was suppose to get over this line ending. I guess I'm still not over it.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                      Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                      • Mar 15, 2008

I was kind of hoping the line would continue long enough to get characters like Power Girl, Golden Age Flash and Green Lantern, and maybe even the Titans made, but, alas, not meant to be.

As for the GL exclusive line, those figures are kind of neat, and I'm glad I got them (I'll absolutely get Kyle to complete the set). I do wish they would've gone with Star Sapphire instead of a Sinestro variant (they could've whipped up a mask and outfit and threw it on some extra Wonder Woman figures and I'd be happy. We needed more female characters anyway), and would've gone with the modern looking John Stewart instead of his first appearance outfit (though from a cost-saving view, I see why Mattel went that route).

Ah, well. I'm happy to have the figures that were made, and we did get a lot of figures from the line. I do hope we get the six remaining figures before the year's out, as the choices would've made the collectors like me happy. Maybe we'll hear something during SDCC next month?
                      "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                        The Man of Many Voices
                        • Aug 30, 2005

We didn't get a Robin figure. THAT SUCKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎