X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raydeen1
    Persistent Member
    • May 23, 2008

Retro Action Batman: My take

Thanks to board member LOU, I finally got my first Mattel Retro Action figure and I wanted my first to be Batman. I've had him a week today (I've been super busy). So here's what I've discovered and my comments, good and bad.

Within seconds of pulling him off the card the chest emblem fell off. Literally seconds. Not a good sign.

After some VERY light play, and I mean some minor posing and removing the mask, the outfit starting "pilling" or running on the arms, legs and torso.

The top part of the body is excellent. Arms are tight and hold a pose well. The bottom half is just poorly designed. The waist should have a ball and socket joint like a Mego. A TRUE ball and socket. The odd shape and the poorly strung elastic make his legs wobble. If they'd done the legs the same as the arms, there wouldn't be a problem. Megos work because of 2 things: The ball/socket joint AND the elastics crossing to the opposing arms. The elastic in the Mattel figure goes straight up and is loose. It will NEVER work. The tension is wrong. The figure flops over constantly. If I were a kid playing with Superman, I'd be mighty ticked off trying to make him "fly" with his legs bent down like he's sitting.

The sculpt of the top half of the body is great. The legs are a mess. The bow legged thing looks just terrible. They need to decrease the angle of the shin. It looks silly.

The mask is brilliant. I love it. It's probably the best removable mask I've ever played with. The only things I would do different is add a bit more to the bottom part under the chin so the mask came down to the chest. I put it on a Mego RC Bats and it fit lower to the chest and looks a lot better. I'd also paint a black stripe down the nose like the picture shows. I plan on doing this to mine.

I love the elastic on the cape. This was a great idea. It's frayed a bit already so stitching it would've been a good move.

The boots are a touck bulky but I can live with it. They remind me a lot of the FC figures' boots.

The belt is obviously an exact replica of the Mego belt. I love the soft material. A few more canisters around the sides would've been nice but that's just my opinion.

The glove cuffs are a good idea in one way, they won't get lost. However, the material looks bad. The white showing all around the perimiter looks terrible. They're every bit as goofy looking as the Mego oven mitts IMO. The white plus the oversized fins...

So overall, a great figure that I welcome in to my collection but the body is in desperate need of work on the lower half. Certainly not worth the $20.00 retail price especially if I want to get these for my boys. My oldest loves the mask and so on but the body and the sticker falling off really bugged him. I can buy much better made toys for $20.00 for my kids. I don't mind paying what I did because I wanted the figure, faults and all but Mattel needs to get on the ball with the lower half of the figure to justify the price if they want parents to buy these for their kids.

Will I get more? Probably. I already want another Batman and some Bat Family to hang with him will be on my list. Robin and a Batgirl with a TRUE removable mask for sure.

That's my take. It has issues for sure but it's certainly fun!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Mattel needs to give up on the elastic strung body if they can't get it right. Which is amazing that they can't given the doll experience that they have.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      Mattel needs to give up on the elastic strung body if they can't get it right. Which is amazing that they can't given the doll experience that they have.
      Agreed. In the case of Mattel, they should just go the ZICA route...no Elastic.
      sigpic

Comment

• LOU
        Museum FIN-atic
        • Nov 20, 2003

Hey Raydeen!
        Glad you like him (I think) my friend! I don't open mine so these problems are completely foreign to me. I am glad he arrived safely! Enjoy!

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

Glad you and the kids like him Dean. You'll be plesantly pleased with the improvements to the body in the newer waves I'm sure.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
            Agreed. In the case of Mattel, they should just go the ZICA route...no Elastic.
            With the advances in toymaking, no one should be using the outdated method to string bodies together.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• tllgn
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 6, 2010

i would go with an emce body all the way,at least they fixed the mattel bodies with wave 3 and four,much better now.perhaps they will reissue batman with the corrected body.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Mattel won't use someone else's body, that'w why they did the original one.

Comment

• ukaking
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Feb 1, 2011

Just so you know, the floppy legs make for great wrestling figures as the guys sell the moves like death! LOL

Comment

• zeedox
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 10, 2007

Another Bat-take

I understand the body issues and really for the most part are fixed with later figures. Batman is so much cooler than say Arkham Asylum line, DC direct, etc. I recall having a Superman DC direct whose hand fell right off after opening the box. Also remember all the odd colored batman we have gotten over the years from Hasbro or Kenner or whomever.

Classic Grey and Blue Batman, Cowl comes off. Great.
                    I would like a tweaked update the way He-Man got months after his first release from Mattel tho.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎