X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audiorij
    Museum Super Collector
    • Nov 6, 2009

If mego had never ended...

I got to thinking about some of the comments in the other thread. About a retro style line of figures vs a line of figures from the retro 70s era.

It was always my understanding that EMCE intended to not create a line of "retro" or 70s era figures, but a retro style figure line encorporating from any era as if Mego had never ended. This of course is the more brilliant option, appealing to more fans old and young who like characters from any era, but done in that old classic style.

But, here is the question.. What would we of had if Mego had never folded? What would they be making today? Would they still be making figures with oven mits and those this hard plastic boots? Or would they of changed things over the years? Would the Mego design style still be encorporated into the figures, meaning the semi-cartoon-look to their faces and simplistic designs? What lines would we of possibly seen over the years?

I think they would of ditched the oven mits, and probably changed the boots simply because that would of been an improvement. I could see them of producing Star Wars or possibly Indiana Jones figures. I am sure they would of continued to make modern super heroes as well as figures from eras of the past. (Having said that, I do as well prefer figures from the 70s like the ones I grew up with. I just know they would not of tried to only market to that narrow tiny audience.) A lot of new characters could end up being peg warmers, but a lot of old characters could as well, and did. Hense the one Cheetah per case vs the three Wonder Womans or whatever.

I do think the changes in design would of been slow, because for example when they made Thor, it was intended that he would be played with along side of Superman. So the size and general characteristics would of been uniform. By the time they made Thor, they did even change the boot style, but his costume and cape was made from the same material as old Supe's. And Iron Man not only had different boot sculpts, he also didn't have the oven mits but instead had those solid fist gloves.
    Last edited by Audiorij; Mar 2, '11, 12:55 PM.
    My wants

Good Traders
  • cdhall
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 14, 2004

I think a thread here somewhere says they were moving to Micronauts and the 8" format would have died a natural death. But I'm not sure I could find that thread. It does quote Marty Abrams though so I think the 8" were gone. Too bad they were in Japan/China when the Star Wars License guys hit their office and went downstairs to Kenner.

That is how I recall reading that story.
    —-
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
    - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
    - Captain Spock
    https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• Audiorij
      Museum Super Collector
      • Nov 6, 2009

Well, I know that is what happened. The question is what if that hadn't happened, what would of been the eventual outcome of Mego had they not moved away from the 8" clothed figures and eventually folded. What clothed figures would they of went on to produce and in what way?
      My wants

Good Traders

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I think you first would have to surmise Mego would have gotten the Star Wars license, which would have kept action figures on the eight inch scale. Right there you would have scores of Star Wars figures from a New Hope through to Jedi. From there you probably would have had eight inch Star Trek the movie figures. Maybe Battlestar Galactica and Flash Gordon. And then Mego would have strayed back into television again -Hawaii Five-O, Miami Vice, Magnum PI. They might have even grabbed the horror license for Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare of Elm Street...Eh...I need to stop. I'm getting ill just thinking of the missed opportunities...

Comment

• cdhall
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 14, 2004

Yes. I think we have to assume that they may have lived on if they had gotten the Star Wars license and 8" would have ruled. Or gone waaayyy south. I think they got some benefit from dying a premature death.

But I would rather they lived on. Although I recall having a hard time buying a Stormtrooper Army. If they had been 8" I would have bought less.

You know, they still sell those with some slight modification. I guess it is possible 8" figures would still be on the pegs.

Would Montgomery Ward's still be alive? If so, would they have have 1/4 of their store devoted to Mego to keep them afloat.
          —-
          “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
          - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
          - Captain Spock
          https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
            House of a thousand Megos
            • Aug 10, 2009

There probably would have been a type 5 or 6 8 inch body by now.
            Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• kennermike
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 4, 2007

If Mego would have finished the 80's and not folded in 81 It would have been a giant impact in my life.I thinks alot of 80's tv series would have gotten a toy line and I cant even Imagine the Films? makes me sad just thinking about this

Comment

• TrueDave
                Toy Maker
                • Jan 12, 2008

Hmm. I think the body would have evolved just like GI Joe did.
                Regular, Kung Fu, Dynamic Physique,Hall of Fame, Classic Collection, SuperArticulated.

I found the 1980's love hard to imagine untill I thought about how many toy lines Kenner did.
                So yeah, I could see SuperPowers ( fistfighters all) , Raiders, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Swamp Thing, Batman89 etc done by MEGO instead of Kenner.

Okay, maybe not Jurrassic Park. at least not 8" scale.

Comment

• LOU
                  Museum FIN-atic
                  • Nov 20, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                  I think you first would have to surmise Mego would have gotten the Star Wars license, which would have kept action figures on the eight inch scale. Right there you would have scores of Star Wars figures from a New Hope through to Jedi. From there you probably would have had eight inch Star Trek the movie figures. Maybe Battlestar Galactica and Flash Gordon. And then Mego would have strayed back into television again -Hawaii Five-O, Miami Vice, Magnum PI. They might have even grabbed the horror license for Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare of Elm Street...Eh...I need to stop. I'm getting ill just thinking of the missed opportunities...
                  Great question audiorij and great answer Tom! You guys got my wheels turning a bit here...
                  I would've passed on some of these "fad" lines but what about Mego making 8-inch Friends, Ninja Turtles, Titanic, Pee Wee Herman, Wayne's World, Spaceballs, Batman (1989), Power Rangers, Hook, Smurfs, E.T., Michael Jackson's Thriller, Ghostbusters (movie), Simpsons, Tron...oh man Tom, I could go on and on and have thought of this "what if" many times! I can see many of these licenses being right up Mego's alley!! We can dream!

Comment

• jimgrant1701
                    • Jul 17, 2010

Playmates

Not to mention all the Playmates toys. They would have continued with Star Trek incarnations. And The Six Million Dollar Man

Comment

• Audiorij
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, and it doesn't stop there. Mego themselves went backwards in time as well and made Wizard Of Oz from the 30s and the Mad Monsters series was in the very least a nod back to the 50s or in some cases earlier.

I do think we would of seen different bodies, articulation would of slowly improved, and the accessories would have as well. Changes in the costumes and materials. All the while keeping the same 'look'.

We would of seen the X-Men, variations on Iron Man, and many more heroes and villains than we did. They would not of been stuck in the 70s.

I ask this question, because isn't this the vision of EMCE? To be sort of what Mego would have been if the "what if" took place?
                      My wants

Good Traders

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎