Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I think volume and distribution plays a bigger role than simple inflation. Megos were literally everywhere in the 70's. You could pick up a Mego in Lazarus or JC Penny, just as easy as you could in a local toy store. Retros are not even in the biggest retail stores today. So that plays a significant role in cost to the consumer. If you could mimic the same distribution of the early 70's, these figures would likely be $9.99...easy.

Comment

• Audiorij
      Museum Super Collector
      • Nov 6, 2009

I would like to see a recreation of one of the original Mego commercials, with adult men instead. I think it would be a riot.
      My wants

Good Traders

Comment

• TrueDave
        Toy Maker
        • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by Audiorij
        I would like to see a recreation of one of the original Mego commercials, with adult men instead. I think it would be a riot.

Maybe a convention only video made at the Mego Meet?

Oh I forgot. They invented the internet.

Ever see that "I,m a Toys R Us Kid " commercial? where they got a bunch of actors from thier early commercials and made new commercials with them years later?

Comment

• Dark Shadow
          Creature Of The Night
          • May 14, 2011

Interesting thread.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

I don't find it that interesting or even relevant for that matter. Maybe it hasn't aged enough.

Are you trying to make a point by unearthing old threads full of conjecture? Why not just start a new thread and say how you feel.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

Personally, I'm intrigued with the commercial idea. Too late for RA, perhaps, but what about the other current lines & future projects? Television may be financially out of the question (at this time) but there's always You Tube & other internet avenues...at no cost. Something silly & offbeat to grab attention of adults & kids. Maybe a commercial w/Dad helping Junior set up a cool diorama for his figures, then after bedtime Mom & Dad take over the playset. Something that ties the nostalgia to the adults and the fun to the kids.

Mego did not sell the numbers they did by hoping people would stumble onto their products by chance, they promoted the hell out of them: commercials, magazine & newspaper advertisements, elaborate floor displays, store flyers, etc..

I find it discouraging and sad that some people are so willing to just resign themselves, even some key players, to the idea that there isn't a mass demand for these products when there really hasn't been much mass-marketing attempted. Mattel & TRU had the opportunity and failed to rise to the occassion. Bad news, but not the end of the world. The dream doesn't have to die here. It most certainly can, but it doesn't have to.

Of course, that's just this branded moron's perspective.
              Last edited by Dark Shadow; Jun 17, '11, 3:14 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎