Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you want Realism or Toyism in your faces?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

For me it depends on the character. A lot of the stuff I like is cartoony, so the figures should be the same.... but if you're doing the old Universal monsters, a bit more realism and detail is called for.

Don C.

Comment

• Ivaniski
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 24, 2007

Do you want Realism or Toyism in your faces?

As per my Green Lantern illustrates,....Pushing towards realism" is alright by me.

Comment

• Audiorij
        Museum Super Collector
        • Nov 6, 2009

I like both dependent upon subject matter. If you are going to make action figures based on a live action TV show or Movie; Star Wars, Trek, Planet of Apes, Indiana Jones, Waltons, Happy Days, etc. then I want realism.

If you are making figures based on a comic book or cartoon, then I want a non-realistic toy-ish approach. Something that captures that look and feel.

For example, when the original Tim Burton Batman was made they made Batman figures with Michael Keaton's face. For me thats ok, for figures from that movie. Or the movie figures based on the X-men or Iron Man. But I actually prefer, when it comes to super heroes figures that look a little too good to be human, not like some actor. I prefer them to look like the comic book, where realism is suspended in the first place.

The original Megos had this format to a degree, the Trek and Apes looked more life-like than Superman or Batman. Generally I don't buy super hero figures that look like actors. I don't want to look at Mr Freeze and see Arnold's face.
        Last edited by Audiorij; Feb 6, '11, 10:55 AM.
        My wants

Good Traders

Comment

• wonderfan32
          • Jul 27, 2009

Originally posted by Audiorij
          I like both dependent upon subject matter. If you are going to make action figures based on a live action TV show or Movie; Star Wars, Trek, Planet of Apes, Indiana Jones, Waltons, Happy Days, etc. then I want realism.

If you are making figures based on a comic book or cartoon, then I want a non-realistic toy-ish approach. Something that captures that look and feel.

For example, when the original Tim Burton Batman was made they made Batman figures with Michael Keaton's face. For me thats ok, for figures from that movie. Or the movie figures based on the X-men or Iron Man. But I actually prefer, when it comes to super heroes figures that look a little too good to be human, not like some actor. I prefer them to look like the comic book, where realism is suspended in the first place.
          With your last statement, I think it depends on who's drawing them. For instance, most here have said Neal Adams art is the way to go when thinking about approaching this line. I don't have a problem with that at all because I thought he drew with a more realistic approach. Dick Giordano is another whose work I admire. I still collect comics and for me I won't buy the comic if the artwork is too cartoony (i.e. Powergirl's book). George Perez, Gary Frank, Nicola Scott, Phil Jimenez, and Jim Balent (sans the big boobs), are artists that I'm more prone to pick up a copy of their illustrations in comics.

Comment

• trekman101
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 6, 2009

Originally posted by Audiorij

My thinking as well.....the best of both
            "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• GoldBlade6
              Museum Super Collector
              • Dec 30, 2007

No, if they get too real, like Hot Toys, then they wouldn't be Megos! You have to strike that perfect balance between toy and realism where everyone understands that it is a toy version of the character or person and not meant to be too real or a replica.

Comment

• Sandman9580
                Career Member
                • Feb 16, 2010

^ Yeah, I think that gets to the heart of the question. It's not so much a matter of realism, it's "what format do you prefer"?

We all want our stuff to look like what it represents, otherwise what's the point? If someone handed me a block of wood when I was a kid and said "Here, pretend it's Batman. Use your imagination", I wouldn't have been very happy with it, because the likeness just isn't there.

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

Balance is the key. James Brady used to carry balance into much of his Trek customs. Khan, Sulu & the more accurate Gorn all look like the Trek characters of the 1960's but are not as exact as his later sculpts like Gary Seven, Kang and Kor. Still you have to question what is the toy sculpt based on. The Mego Klingon looks a heck of a lot like the Trek Animated Klingon. The resemblance is there. But there's still enough to say it looks a little like one of the actors.

Comment

• MeWantMegos
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Apr 4, 2010

For superheroes...I like Toyism...should look like they come from the comics...

For other properties like Flash Gordon or Twilight Zone...they should look like the actors who played them.

Comment

• wonderfan32
                      • Jul 27, 2009

I don't think they should look like actors unless they're actually doing figures that way. On the other hand, they should not look the way some of them looked back then, particularly the Mego females which looked nothing like the comics, Invisible Woman being the only exception.
                      Last edited by wonderfan32; Feb 8, '11, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Den82
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 17, 2011

A little bit of both. The 78'-'85 Star Wars line is my one of my favorite and the likeness they had in most cases was terrible for the most part, but I love them.

I think when toys become ultra realistic, they stop being toys and become more of collector pieces for a shelf.

I will say though that one underrated line as far as realistic features is concerned, is the old LJN WWF line. Those were incredible.

Comment

• Dr.Mind
                          • Jan 1, 2010

Realism. Still waiting for the 'Hot Toys' of Megos to assault the scene.
                          'That which makes us dream, sets us free...'

Comment

• TrueDave
                            Toy Maker
                            • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by Dr.Mind
                            Realism. Still waiting for the 'Hot Toys' of Megos to assault the scene.
                            If we follow the trend like Samurai Noir was posting about we will be headed that way.
                            I think with the popularity for so many years of SMALL collectables in Asia we will get that too. Simply so we will have more space .
                            I think the "height" (other than Hair ) of realism came with the 1/4 scale stuff. I've seen Some Star Wars and Marvel stuff thats pretty . . confusing. Statue? Toy? am i allowed to touch it?

Sometimes "reality" can get dull and "creative Toy licence can be fun.

I like the MEGO sculpts , Waltons rocks , but I wouldnt want working button holes on figures etc.

Comment

• GUYx1
                              FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                              • Apr 20, 2005

I certainly want the realism. Mini-Medicom figures are what I like.
                              (Or Mini Hot Toys I should say I suppose)

The generic and doll like, I tend to shy away from.
                              Cheers,
                              Guyx1

Comment

• dkaneman
                                • Mar 2, 2011

I think it largely depends on the licensing. For a celebrity likeness, it's better to have the sculpt as accurate as possible by today's standards. But if it's for a videogame or comic book character, softer and more generic details are better.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎