• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Martain Manhunter review

From the LaserMego news ...

I was happy to find Martian Manhunter today in my mailbox. This is the first figure to show up of the fourth wave of Mattel's 8" Retro-Action DC Super Heroes.

This wave comes on nice light blue cards with the four members of the wave shown on the front: "Shazam!", Black Adam, Darkseid and Martian Manhunter. I thought having "Shazam!" is quotes with an explanation point is great since that is what he says, but his name is Captain Marvel.

The back shows all four posing in a similar style to the other waves.

I decided to open him right away since my Martian had a shoulder strap slipped off and wouldn't display well. He looks great out of the package. This wave is like wave 3 and uses the new improved body that has a ball joint between the waist and chest to keep him from flopping over.

The cape is a shiny synthetic fabric with some gold elastic to hold it in place and hold the color up. I wish the elastic was a bit tighter as the cape tends to spin to the front when handling him.

He has orange straps that are hemmed, similar to the later Lex Luthor outfits with a gold painted belt buckle.

I was surprised to find that the straps and shorts are a separate piece from the green suit. The shorts have a snap on the back to hold them on. I really like the light green body suit. The color is great: the suit, head, body, and hands all match perfectly. The suit is made of a very thin stretchy material that really shows off the body underneath. It has a single snap on the back. I really hope to see more body suits like this on future figures as its a great boon to kit-bash custom figures.

Overall I think Martian Manhunter is a must buy for any Mego collection. He is a popular character that Mego never made that fits right in. I can't wait to get the rest of wave 4 and hope this line of figures lasts a long time.
    sigpic LaserMego
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

A really nice review there. Certainly will pick up the wave if I ever see them.
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Sandman9580
      Career Member
      • Feb 16, 2010

Great review!

I think this figure looks amazing. Can't wait to see him in hand.

Comment

• THE FALCON
        Career Member
        • Jan 2, 2011

Glad to hear about the improved body. Can't wait to get me a Martian Manhunter.

Comment

• pmwasson
          Maker
          • Sep 12, 2007

I just realized that the green suit is separate so people can decide if they would rather have the body suit or not!

I think he looks better with the body suit on, but its great that Mattel is giving us the choice.
          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• LOU
            Museum FIN-atic
            • Nov 20, 2003

OH YES! He will be mine! That's a sweet figure and packaging! Love it!

Comment

• Sandman9580
              Career Member
              • Feb 16, 2010

They made a great choice by giving him a separate suit. Very retro and it makes for an easy transition for a Mattel-->Mego Manhunter.

Comment

• Goblin19
                Talkative Member
                • May 2, 2002

That looks great. This is the figure, along with Flash, that I most looked forward to. I just ordered a set from Entertainment Earth. Can't wait.

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Altho, the seperate briefs and gold buckle are bad ideas IMHO, it's still
                  a pretty cool fig... thanks for the review!
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MLoudin
                    Possessed by Megos
                    • Sep 13, 2007

Cool Figure, thanks for the review!!!

Comment

• Mego Milk
                      Custom Mego Maker
                      • Jun 3, 2007

man, he looks cool.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

Does anyone know if Mattel will re-produce the Waves 1 & 2? As much as I like my Supes, Bats and A-man, I wish they weren't so floppy. I wish we could just send them back to Mattel in exchange for new ones.
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Great review! Thanks for the pics!! Wave 4 is showing the same promise that Wave 3 gave us. Now we're just waiting to see what Shazam looks like in finalized form.

Comment

• Ovalprocess
                            • Jun 7, 2010

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                            As much as I like my Supes, Bats and A-man, I wish they weren't so floppy. I wish we could just send them back to Mattel in exchange for new ones.
                            Me, too!

I wonder if there is a factory part we could put in there to fix the bodies.

Comment

• creature
                              • Jan 4, 2009

In my opinion he's the coolest RA that's been released yet. He looks great.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎