X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

Did WE start the "Retro Fad"?

Seems to be we have been wanting Mego style before things generally started to go retro. The only other "retro" toy I can really recall that predates us is when Luke, Vader, Han and Chewie were repackaged in a Classic Figure box in the mid 90's....
  • kerowack
    Career Member
    • Feb 27, 2008

I don't think the museum can take credit, but they are doing their part to support it all. EVERYTHING will be new again at some point......

I still think video games are king today.....but I'm christmas shopping for relatives and it's all they seem to be getting.

Comment

• jimsmegos
      Mego Dork
      • Nov 9, 2008

Yes. We rock. Everyone who enjoys all the retro goodness should send us a dollar each.

Period.

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

Nah, Retro came back the moment the 90's were over and kids from the 80's were old enough to want their old toys back. Once there was money to be made there, it started trickling backwards even further, thus Megos.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

There's No I in the Museum ..., there ain't No We Either.

... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Captain
            Fighting the good fight!
            • Jun 17, 2001

Hasbro was probably first to the bell back in the nineties with all its GI JOE re-issues and such. One could say bringing back Star Wars figures in 94 or 95 was a retro move for that time as well.

I guess collectors started the demand for retro.....so in a way we all started it.
            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

There's also a lot to be said for our generation being in decision making positions at toy companies.
              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Captain
                Hasbro was probably first to the bell back in the nineties with all its GI JOE re-issues and such. One could say bringing back Star Wars figures in 94 or 95 was a retro move for that time as well.
                Yep, the love of retro has been going on for quite a while. Besides SW and GI Joe there's also been reissues of Barbie, Captain Action, G1 Transformers, Rainbow Brite, Masters of the Universe, Tomy's Tron, Smurfs, Care Bears, etc.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jimsmegos
                  Mego Dork
                  • Nov 9, 2008

Seriously I think the "retro wave" is a form of despiration by toy companies. The modern audience is totally different than what we were. We had three choices on Saturday morning's. And so all of those beloved properties were gold. Nowadays IMO the old school properties are at best "silver". But with that said the newest properties are at best "bronze" and "copper" with no staying power. Not so much because they suck but because the volume of choices that are avaqilable to children.

So once again IMO I think the big toy companies are going back to the well because the old school properties are so familiar to American pop culture as a whole that even modest sales of those properties will remain on average competitive with the latest fad. So why not go back in time and allow on us that were there be the new marketing tool, to sell the products to our children and grandchildren?

Comment

• PeterRR
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jun 2, 2008

It's good that we are going retro. Even car companies are making retro cars like Mustang, Charger and Challenger . I was in a comic book store this week in NYC and seen so many different mego like figures some are nice (monsters and twilight zone) and some look pretty bad like Flash Gordon,(Ming wasn't to bad) and all Mattel's DC and Ghost busters stuff look like junk. It brings back memories when I was a kid when you went to a toy store they had GI Joe and very bad Knock off stuff like Fighting Yank and other 12' Gijoe like figures. But the big difference is the Bad retro figures today are the same price as the well made retro figures. Back then the Joes were like double the price of the knock offs

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

We started the whole retro idea, and I'm confident that in the future, statues will be erected in our honor to commemorate this new era of humanity.
                      No need to be too humble about it.....
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                        We started the whole retro idea, and I'm confident that in the future, statues will be erected in our honor to commemorate this new era of humanity.
                        No need to be too humble about it.....
                        Oh man...I'm rolling here! And I think the pigeons will pick your statue first to do their thing on, GC!
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                          Oh man...I'm rolling here! And I think the pigeons will pick your statue first to do their thing on, GC!
                          Gorns eat pigeons for breakfast.
                          Really, they do!
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 23, 2001

The retro thing was already in place before the retro Mego figures started coming out. All you have to do is take a look at the Polar Lights Model Kits that started coming out almost 10 years ago....so in answer to your question...no, we didn't start the retro thing that is happening now. It's been in affect for more than 10 years...the biggest difference is now the companies that are making the toys are REALLY trying to take advantage of the fact that people are into it much more than they were 10 years ago.
                            "When not too many people can see we're all the same
                            And because of all their tears,
                            Their eyes can't hope to see
                            The beauty that surrounds them
                            Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
                            By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
                            Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk

Comment

• Sandman9580
                              Career Member
                              • Feb 16, 2010

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                              There's No I in the Museum ..., there ain't No We Either.

Though it does contain the word "muse"! Seriously, there's a lot of talent on these boards - I always find it pretty inspiring.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎