X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Retro Action Flash and Capt Cold up close

I thought this would be a great time to encourage people to buy Wave 3 before Christmas hits. It's worth it folks. While the entire Wave is a grand slam, I have decided to devote this thread to my best of the best - Flash and Capt Cold.

From my point of view, this Flash is EXACTLY what I was wanting when I was 8 years old. Every aspect of him is spot on.

The outfit fits him well and the body posture is completely fine now.

The only factory defect I noticed on this one (and it's minor) was a little over paint around the ears. The picture is not very good, but essentially there's a little yellow that bleeds away from the ear piece here. No problem though. Doesn't hurt anything.

The best part is you can pose him in a run and he holds it just fine! The fix is really in! Great work guys!

Now Capt Cold is really something to behold in person. THIS is a piece of art in my humble opinion. I would have flipped as a kid to have this. And I'm fairly ecstatic as a 46 year old adult. So I guess the magic remains! The head sculpt is very very good. Forget any notions about the face being too small. Not so. It's his face coming out of the hood and it really works in person.

The paint is excellent and the outfit is incredible. Early descriptions of it being like the POTA astronaut are spot on. And the ice gun is a very nice piece. I took a shot here so you could get a good look.

The craftsmanship in the outfit is really impressive up close. Everything from the fabric, to the belt, to the boots just scream quality.

And the back of his hood is just sweet. Nice detail. Even the belt has a cool construction to it.

The only factory defect on this was a smidget of paint on the heel of one boot. Sorry again for the bad pic, but I did want to make note of it, in case Paul or EMCE want to pass it on. I'm sure I can get it off. Just too busy drowning in "ah" right now.

Yes, this wave has really brought out the kid in me. These two figures were something I really thought about as a kid and the Flash is probably the first custom I ever tried as a kid too. So great to get these now and in time for Christmas. If ever there was a TRUE Mego moment my friends...THIS IS IT! If you still can, order them from AMOK and get yours in time for Christmas. You will NOT be sorry. I ordered mine just a few days ago, so they are very fast!
    Last edited by MIB41; Dec 8, '10, 8:02 PM.
  • LOU
    Museum FIN-atic
    • Nov 20, 2003

They look great Tom! Are these going to be available at TRU too?

Comment

• jimsmegos
      Mego Dork
      • Nov 9, 2008

Thank you for the review and update. While I would be buying these anyway I do feel better about the bodies. Now all I got do is make the cash to be able to continue enjoying these awesome figures!

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by LOU
        They look great Tom! Are these going to be available at TRU too?
        Hey Lou. Yeah, I am confident they will adorn TRU peg boards at some point. Whether they make it there in time for Christmas, is another matter altogether.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, cash is always an issue.....but even more so is actually finding these in stores. I still have not located wave 2. I know I could get them on line, but like many others on here part of the thrill is finding them in the toystore aisles

Comment

• megojim
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 13, 2001

These two figures are amazing! Thx for posting the s close ups as well as the action pose! I am soooo tempted to open mine but I want this to build up to Christmas morning. I bet we have some great Christmas pics coming from the group this year.
            My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• LOU
              Museum FIN-atic
              • Nov 20, 2003

Most excellent Tom, I don't neccessarily need them before Christmas my friend, I just read here somewhere that the Retro line was ending and being clearanced at T.J. Maxx and Marshalls stores. I hit up our local TJM (which incidentally is the exact same building where I used to buy real Megos back in the day; it used to be a department store called Bradlee's in the 70's) but didn't see even a trace of the Retros there. I too prefer buying them in a store as opposed to online because I am a hopeless nostalgiaist...LOL is that even a word? LOL! Thanks for sharing the pics Tom!

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                House of a thousand Megos
                • Aug 10, 2009

Captain Cold's boots are too cool and I like how they fixed the bodies, I wonder how they did it?
                Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• drmego
                  EMCE Toys
                  • Jun 15, 2001

There was a piece in the torso that was used for Green Arrow but left out
                  when the bodies were run for waves 1 & 2.

When we brought it up with Mattel, they realized what happened and told
                  us it would be corrected for wave 3.
                  www.drmego.com
                  www.megoman.com
                  www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Ovalprocess
                    • Jun 7, 2010

Originally posted by drmego
                    There was a piece in the torso that was used for Green Arrow but left out when the bodies were run for waves 1 & 2.

That really explains a lot.

Is there any way we can get the missing piece to fix the figures we have already purchased?

Comment

• Boywonder0
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by drmego
                      There was a piece in the torso that was used for Green Arrow but left out
                      when the bodies were run for waves 1 & 2.

Sorry, but Green Arrow did not come with that piece either...

Comment

• vc9k
                        • Feb 5, 2010

Cold looks great as do Wonder Woman and Cheetah but Flash's face is too big. Kind of like Walter Matthau as Barry Allen. Emce should be handing the sculptors Thor or Mr Fantastic as the benchmark. They don't need to sculpt them exactly like that but they should keep the proportions in that scale. The line over all has been great(although they could maybe work on chiseling those jaws a little more) I'm just picking and choosing but I'll be getting 3 out of 4 of these figures.

vc9k

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎