X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

Mattel's secrecy - help me understand

This is not directed at anyone here, but rather an open question to those in the industry or those who grasp this concept more than myself, which is probably everyone. I cannot understand the veil of secrecy surrounding the retro heroes and really with Mattel itself.

I could understand if there was some competition for the 8-inch superhero market, but that doesn't exist. Mattel is so cryptic with their Q and A sessions they come off as extremely arrogant and dismissive of their customer base. I just don't see, in this digital day and age, not being a little more transparent with their fans and customers and opening up with new product and details. With Twitter, Facebook and other multiple sources of networking available, why not build hype by pimping their stuff way in advance and actually engaging their customers?

I know the Pauls are limited in their info sharing, and that's fine. You gotta follow the company rules. I won't speak for them, but were I in that position, I'd be itching to do some freelance promotions and really pimp the hell outta Retro heroes, especially with the target market...us. The feedback request on bodies is a start.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for the next wave announcement, but it shouldn't be a classified wikileaks document either. I'd love to see this line thrive, but I'd also like to see Mattel drop it's disassociative secret service act.

Scott
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The way I read it (the way it seems)

Mattel doesn't know what's going on and a few lower employees down the totem pole are in charge of the retro heroes.

Perhaps Mattel don't even know they're making them

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

I'm thinking it probably has more to do about not letting anything out until DC has signed off on it than anything else. Probably wrong....
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I find they don't really answer much of anything in those Q&As, no real tangible insight on any of their lines, just lots of non commital answers. I'm not really that surprised though, that's not unusual.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Random Axe - I know it can be frustrating, confusing or otherwise...
          but it should be obvious to all us old-timers that that's typical
          company politics going on that is resulting in what you're questioning.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

The Q&A's are just Allure and Mystique Posts to enable product to consistantly be discussed Amung Fanboys with no real insight to Anything.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              I find they don't really answer much of anything in those Q&As, no real tangible insight on any of their lines, just lots of non commital answers. I'm not really that surprised though, that's not unusual.
              Exactly.

Those Q&As are PR, nothing more. They are not intended to inform or give us any insider info. That's not their purpose. Their only intent is to build hype and get people talking about their products. To be fair to Mattel, like you said, that's not unusual for toy companies. Toy companies guard their secrets like they are nuclear launch codes.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• drmego
                EMCE Toys
                • Jun 15, 2001

They are secretive and guarded because the toy business is incredibly competitive.

The reality is that Retro Action is a very small project - but it has a lot of
                fans inside the company - some of whom may be reading this post.

This new way of fan interaction through the internet has not been tested
                fully yet. Look at how movies are bashed before they even hit the theatres.
                The message boards and blogs need to adopt professional standards first.
                www.drmego.com
                www.megoman.com
                www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

People are talking about "competitive business"... "P.R." and other stuff,
                  a lot of it which sounds kinda cynical... I actually always thought the
                  main reason for this behavior we're speaking of was more cause of
                  not wanting a lot of "misinformation" out there.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                    Career Member
                    • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by drmego
                    They are secretive and guarded because the toy business is incredibly competitive.

The reality is that Retro Action is a very small project - but it has a lot of
                    fans inside the company - some of whom may be reading this post.

This new way of fan interaction through the internet has not been tested
                    fully yet.
                    Look at how movies are bashed before they even hit the theatres.
                    The message boards and blogs need to adopt professional standards first.

This shows how much they are outta the loop. Polar Lights CEO had a forum 10 years ago to interact with their customers. They WANTED to know what their fans/customers wanted to see re-released. A big WIN-WIN for both sides. I don't expect one of Mattel's CEOs to do anything like this. They just don't have the time. But, ONE of their guys with the Reto Action line COULD. They don't have to reveal their "closely guarded secrets" to anyone. But they COULD discover many ways to sell MORE figures. And at the end of the day, that's the name of the game. This same thing COULD be applied to ALL their lines with very little effort on their part.
                    Bob

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

That's kind of become the function for this board. Joe and Paul read all of the posts here and respond when they can. They also bring opinions and suggestions from the board to Mattel, as shown by the thread that requested input from fans in bodies.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• EMCEtoys
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 1, 2007

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                        That's kind of become the function for this board. Joe and Paul read all of the posts here and respond when they can. They also bring opinions and suggestions from the board to Mattel, as shown by the thread that requested input from fans in bodies.
                        And demonstrated by the change to the body that has already been implemented, eight weeks after it was presented as an issue, and clearly in a quick manner as half of that time must have been shipping alone.

I'd really appreciate if that message got out there instead of "Mattel doesn't listen".

Comment

• geoffdude
                          Banned
                          • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
                          And demonstrated by the change to the body that has already been implemented, eight weeks after it was presented as an issue, and clearly in a quick manner as half of that time must have been shipping alone.

I'd really appreciate if that message got out there instead of "Mattel doesn't listen".
                          At the risk of being considered an "agitator", I've been collecting Mattel figures, and toys, for almost 25 years. And with all due respect to your efforts, (which are committed and pure for sure) Mattel for the most part, history has shown, does not listen to consumer complaints, issues or suggestions.

They may be working towards that, but historically they haven't, and they have a LONG way to go.

*Also, collectively.. we're not some drones that just regurgitate a desired mantra. Seriously?

Regards,

g.
                          Last edited by geoffdude; Dec 8, '10, 1:30 AM.

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by geoffdude
                            At the risk of being considered an "agitator".....

*Also, collectively.. we're not some drones that just regurgitate a desired mantra. Seriously?

Regards,

g.

Comment

• geoffdude
                              Banned
                              • Apr 18, 2009

Thanks for that. First smile I've had all day!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎