X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geoffdude
    Banned
    • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
    Geoff how can you say its not TRU's fault? Put the toys on the shelf...they sell. Refuse to put the toys on the shelf....they dont. THe product has improved each wave....its a mistake to not sell these toys. Kudos to mattel for finding someone to peddle their product. Next year we may find its walmart, and Target pushing the Retros out their door, and TRU is wishing they hadn't stalled the line.
    TRU stores get stock automatically once a level of in-store stock reaches a certain point. If the stock of a store has too much Wave 1, they will NEVER have any wave 2 delivered to them for re-stocking.

Also, if TRU has cut their order for wave 2 because wave 1 is setting in many locations, then wave 2 stock will be MUCH lower in the TRU distribution centers. Basically, all stores will carry "less" wave 2 because TRU corporate has trimmed back their order on the line.

Target and Walmart will never carry this line, the price point, and demographics, don't fall in line to what they target for toy sales.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by geoffdude
      I do not have a direct connection to anyone at Mattel, or TRU, but that's "typically" the way these things work.

For TRU, if they took "delivery", or received, these items (Wave 2) from Mattel, then they would almost certainly put them up on the pegs in main stores.. or in their TRU-holiday stores. TRU wouldn't blow them out, or purge them, at this date and time (Christmas/new assortment).. they would try selling them for awhile. Also, if TRU was paring down their DC Retro stock, then you would see plenty of Wave 1 figures at these bargain stores too... which we are not.

So basically, to answer the question, it's an educated guess, but one that's 99.9% logical to postulate.

Regards,

Geoff
      This is an interesting onion in the ointment. TRU is selling these at their TRUExpress (i.e. holiday popup) stores. According to the staff at the TrUEx stores I visited; they only stock the "hot" selling toys (top 100 sellers in the stores or something like that) and they can't keep the RA super heroes around very long. That is, they are selling well at those outlets.

Sounds more like TrUs shelf-life/reorder policy coupled with Mattel's distribution numbers/policies are not lined up to me. But I am neither a buyer or seller for either of these entities so I will not make any suppositions.

At any rate, I am not concerned about the longevity of the line. I know that the folks responsible for making these are working hard and that the Feb. Toyfair is coming up. There have been x amount of comments concerning how many waves were 'committed to'; and there have been indications of QC improvement which I don't really believe would belong in a line that a company was ready to flush.

I do think anyone near a TJs should just get over there and nab what you can while you can. This is the price point I wanted to see these at and I am certainly not letting the opportunity pass.
      Last edited by rche; Dec 10, '10, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• geoffdude
        Banned
        • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
        TRU is pushing wave two in their Express stores. So I guess TRU has received shipment of this wave....whats that do to your theory. Stop trying to be a party pooper and take your Ba Humbug elswhere sir!
        TRU Express stores are "new" locations, and will stock any and all new products TRU can funnel in. Wave 2 figures that TRU distribution centers have "already" received would naturally show up there, over TRU main stores, that are setting on Wave 1 figures. I never said TRU didn't receive wave 2, only that they "may" not be taking delivery of any more figures.

(BTW TRU is not "pushing" these, just selling them.)

Also, I have no Ba Humbag towards these (I just bought 4 from TJ Maxx, and I've bought all 9 figs so far), I'm attempting to give insight as to what's going on for the most part. Believe it or not, or believe something completely opposite, it's up to you... and I could care less which you choose.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

• geoffdude
          Banned
          • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by rche
          This is an interesting onion in the ointment. TRU is selling these at their TRUExpress (i.e. holiday popup) stores. According to the staff at the TrUEx stores I visited; they only stock the "hot" selling toys (top 100 sellers in the stores or something like that) and they can't keep the RA super heroes around very long. That is, they are selling well at those outlets.

Sounds more like TrUs shelf-life/reorder policy coupled with Mattel's distribution numbers/policies are not lined up to me. But I am neither a buyer or seller for either of these entities so I will not make any suppositions.

At any rate, I am not concerned about the longevity of the line. I know that the folks responsible for making these are working hard and that the Feb. Toyfair is coming up. There have been x amount of comments concerning how many waves were 'committed to'; and there have been indications of QC improvement which I don't really believe would belong in a line that a company was ready to flush.

I do think anyone near a TJs should just get over there and nab what you can while you can. This is the price point I wanted to see these at and I am certainly not letting the opportunity pass.
          These TRU Express stores are just stocking what TRU has ordered the "most" of (quantity).. and what they have tons of (setting on)... and newer stock (any kind) currently coming in. "Top 100" is just a marketing tag line.. I should know, as I create these types of "tags" all day long.

You're 100% right, in that the TRU ordering, re-stocking, system, and Mattel's distribution practices are at odds with each other. But, Mattel's distribution system is "infamous" for having major problems. It's the main reason the JLU toy line was booted from most retail stores (becoming Target exclusive, if you can even call them that).

I agree too that these TJ Maxx deals are great, and I'll be stopping at any stores I see, at least until Dec. 23 or so. Then I'm staying clear of almost all stores until the 26th.

Regards,

Geoff
          Last edited by geoffdude; Dec 10, '10, 1:07 AM.

Comment

• Sandman9580
            Career Member
            • Feb 16, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy
            The Stepford Wives, awesome.

We deserve passive aggressive attacks for the work we do, that's fair.
            It wasn't meant to be a "passive aggressive attack", it was meant to be a direct but mild jab. I get frustrated when the open discussions of other members get locked or deleted for reasons that seem to (sometimes, not all the time) fall a bit short of "good".

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
            At this point? Speculate away.

The response to this wave, the recognition of the improvements to the base body, the quality of the sculpts and costumes, the enthusiasm over something as simple as Captain Cold's accessories...I feel that our mission is now accomplished.

What saddens me is that, no matter how hard we work, and no matter what wins we have like this, there are still a handful of deeply unhappy people out there who have the luxury of time to trash it all over the internet. And even sadder, those are the voices that are the loudest.

And these loud voices do indeed have an impact. One miscreant actually posted on Amazon the conspiracy theory that Paul deliberately manipulated Mattel to produce inferior bodies just so he could sell more of his own. So, clearly someone who is a Mego fan who knows all the players, with some kind of bizarre beef.

Yes, I can already hear you say, "Oh, they're nuts, just ignore them."

Well, right after that psycho's comment was another comment from someone clearly not from the community, to the effect of "Thanks for the warning...I was going to buy these because I remember them as a kid, but I'm glad I saved my money."

Sale lost.

I tracked the "stranger" down and offered him a couple samples of our stuff so he could see what we've been working on and judge for himself and he was elated. So, we may not have made a sale at that point, but we may have gained a new customer.

And that was just the one I caught.

So look. At this point, we have Toy Fair coming up and lots of stuff we're working on for it, and I've spent an inordinate amount of time on these boards the last week just to gauge reaction to the newest wave, only to be caught up in all the speculation about the future. We've told what we know, we've been more transparent than most, and Wave 3 has proven what can be done.

I can't speak for Paul, but I'm definitely gonna go quiet for a while, because I have dead people to sculpt. Speculate on that.

So, it's a pleasure to have beeen able to put Mego superheroes under people's trees this year (or, at least one for each day of Hanukkah), especially those as good as have come out in the last few weeks alone. I couldn't be prouder to have been able to help my friend Paul achieve his dream of bringing them all to you.

Happy Holidays and see you next year.
            The fact that these are showing up at half-price at discount department stores had me worried. The speculation you speak of is coming from someone who loves the line and wants to see it continue.

Originally posted by drmego
            Remember when FAO Shwartz had the Star Treks (up through Scotty/Keeper)
            for $5.00 each? Everyone said that the line was dead.

I drove into Manhattan and looted the place before they realized their error.

The line was not dead - and it is still going.

I don't pretend to understand the wisdom of wave 2 selling for $10 at TJ Maxx, all I
            know is that I will buy all I can find and look forward to the new releases of 2011.
            Thank you for that -- that's all I wanted to hear! And when I go to TJ Maxx now, I won't feel so guilty!
            Last edited by Sandman9580; Dec 10, '10, 5:51 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

It wasn't meant to be a "passive aggressive attack", it was meant to be a direct but mild jab. I get frustrated when the open discussions of other members get locked or deleted for reasons that seem to (sometimes, not all the time) fall a bit short of "good".
              Well it's a crappy, entitled thing to say to the folks who take the time out make sure this place run smoothly.

We moderate leniently here and take a lot of things into consideration before doing so. There is absolutely no "iron fist" tactics in place as you are suggesting nor are we the drones of EMCE or any other company here as your "mild jab" also implied. We are in not in anyone's employ nor have EMCE or anyone else ever asked us to remove something.

I can't apologize if your perception sees it as something else because it's wrong and your criticism undeserved. We try to keep the peace here which is a lot less fun since the "dolly bashers" arrived.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megowgsh
                Customego HoF Curator
                • Nov 19, 2003

Went to no less than 8 TJM, Marshalls and AJ Wwight stores in the Chicago area yesterday and cam away empty-handed.
                Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• LOU
                  Museum FIN-atic
                  • Nov 20, 2003

Just an update on my area:
                  I hit a TRU Express Wednesday night and all they had was Wave 1 sans Superman. The T.J. Maxx I stopped at had nothing at all. Going to try again today to see if Wave 2 can be spotted.

Comment

• Astronut
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 21, 2010

Been away for almost a month, I was shocked to see this thread. Just to be clear, are these available at TJ Maxx AND Marshalls? or just TJ Maxx?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Astronut
                      Been away for almost a month, I was shocked to see this thread. Just to be clear, are these available at TJ Maxx AND Marshalls? or just TJ Maxx?
                      Both - and considering we have them in Columbus, I'd think you'd have a good shot up your way.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by megowgsh
                        Went to no less than 8 TJM, Marshalls and AJ Wwight stores in the Chicago area yesterday and cam away empty-handed.
                        So that quality time we spent together meant nothing?!?!?!

Comment

• megowgsh
                          Customego HoF Curator
                          • Nov 19, 2003

^^^time with you is NEVER wasted time Stevie!
                          Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• toys2cool
                            Ultimate Mego Warrior
                            • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                            I think I have 1 of these here ....
                            My Old Lady Says that Ross, is like TJ Maxx, and they both carry some of the same stuff sometimes.
                            yeah it's more like Marshalls, Ross is cheaper then tj maxx and they do carry the same stuff sometimes but Tj maxx and marshalls get way better stuff
                            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Astronut
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 21, 2010

Just came out of a TJM in Brooklyn (Cleveland OH), they had zero. Hopefully I can hit some other locations before all the stores are wiped out. I was ready to drop $200 just now. Oh well

At $10 I would actually buy a bunch for my six year old. He loves 'em!

I know the businessmen don't want to hear this, but $10 is what these should be retailing for to begin with. $12 max. My opinion, please don't rip me a new one.
                              Last edited by Astronut; Dec 10, '10, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

What about peg warmer Lex? Is he showing up as well?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎