X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megomania
    Persistent Member
    • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by beartex2000
    Is it possible the current batch at tj has some defect that caused tru to reject them.? Any up close inspection of this lot?
    I found a Two-Face today that had a damaged card

Comment

• toyman
      Just Another Collector
      • Sep 1, 2008

Could it be that mattel decided to just get rid of the wave two figures since the body fix had not taken effect and that wave three was ready to put on the shelves with the new fix,that is why they are at Tj Maxx and others so cheap?

Comment

• jacoblb
        Persistent Member
        • May 7, 2009

Went to the nearby TJ Maxx today and picked up a damaged card Batman the only retro figure I could find inside the store. After that my family and I went to TRU and Ross. Toys R Us was such a joke, while the pegs were filled with toys in every isle, the only Mattel retro action figures on the pegs were from wave ONE and they included everyone except Superman. Lex and Sinestro far outnumbered the Green Lantern.

Ross was a dirty store and didn’t have much in the way of toys. Inner city traffic and stores were uncomfortably crowded and filled with every day shoppers meshed with the procrastinating and impatient Christmas shoppers, and out of town visitors (from Mexico) also doing their shopping.

I want to caution anyone doing a body swap. I’ve included pictures of my Batman on a new flesh-tone Cast-a-way body I hadn’t used yet. In the past I’ve read over the threads of how people did a head removal with a boil and pop method. Be careful as there is a hard plastic piece in the neck plug that I didn’t have much luck removing with a pull. I must have forgotten about that. In fact, I have a crushed Mattel torso and neck plug tears to prove it. I hope Mattel scraps the idea of keeping the hard plastic inside the neck plug. Fortunately I didn’t damage the neck plug too badly that the head ripped off. Having got past the learning curve with hands on experience I look forward to doing more body swaps provided I am able to buy more figures at discounted cost. Oh, I should point that while I always intended to open the Batman toy I bought I didn’t intend to do a body swap, but the wiggly waist and slouched look was unbecoming of Batman.

Here’s a thought: does anyone think that maybe this wave was scrapped to discount stores because Mattel was aware of the body issues and that they’ll fix and release tem later? IIRC Dr Mego stated that Mattel planned to keep all the figures available as new waves come out. That way Johnny-come-lately can always buy a Superman or whatever regardless what wave has hit stores.

Finally, I should point out if TJ Maxx had the rest of the figures from wave 1 and 2 I would have gladly purchased them ALL. As I stated, I went to TRU too and I just won’t pay $20 unless it’s a Matty exclusive for a figure of this kind.

The EVIL hard plastic part that goes inside the neck plug.

On a CAT body.
        Last edited by jacoblb; Dec 12, '10, 10:26 PM. Reason: Forgot two pictures during posting.

Comment

• geoffdude
          Banned
          • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          Yeah ?
          Then Who Are You, Really ?
          I'm a toy collector. Same as some here. No more no less.

Are You Actually Somebody in the Industry ?
          I noted in one of those threads you don't read, but know ALL about, that I am not.

Or Some Over Zealous FanBoy Key Board Warrior , That Acts as if He is Somebody, and Must Have the Final Word on Any Toy Line that is Discussed on this Forum ?
          Wow, that's a pretty loaded question (and passive aggressive attack). I don't "act" like I'm anyone, or anybody, other than who I am. I've been clear about that. I only partake in a few threads here and there, and only when there is something to say. Pretty straight forward on my part. I don't think any of my post has ever been "just" to attack another member though. Typically, I'm on topic with my post.

I can't figure it out.
          Not too surprised on that... as you don't seem the type.
          Know Now, alot of people Feel the Same Way, and Perhaps you Come Off Consistantly Wrong, Every Damn Time you Type, If It's something Completely Different.
          I'm not going to even pretend I understand what you're trying to convey in that last grouping of words.

Best regards,

Geoff
          Last edited by geoffdude; Dec 12, '10, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• geoffdude
            Banned
            • Apr 18, 2009

Your bad was putting words in my mouth, which is a tactic many people seem to engage in on forums.

Mostly though, you're coming at me because I ruffle your feathers for some reason. Not sure why, as I don't even know you. That's cool though, as you seem to have nothing else really to offer this thread. If that's what you want to post about to "join" in, attack away.

BTW - I only mention "who" is a friend of mine at TRU because I was asked about how I come about some info. I very rarely mention it. It's not a feather in my hat or anything. Good grief. How old are you?

Regards,

Geoff

Originally posted by Azrak
            My bad - I wasn't careful with my words when I limited your knowledge base to print and a buddy who manages a TRU; I should have shown a little more respect for your internet research.
            Last edited by geoffdude; Dec 12, '10, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

geoff,

You are antagonizing and you are ruffling feathers. Moreso, you seem to enjoy the act of doing this. I did not post the agitator picture because I thought it was funny. It was a lighter way of attempting to let you know you were getting under peoples skin and asking you to back it down a notch.

I am sure this post will be gratifying to you as well.

However, if you truly enjoy toys, collecting, and these type of figures - you may want to take a step back and ask yourself why you enjoy the negative energy that comes about from the posts you make. I don't think people have that much of a problem with what you are saying. The problems stem from your communication and interpersonal skills. And before you tell me I don't know what you do or don't enjoy - you are correct. I am only making a logical assumption based on previously posted words.

Comment

• GoldBlade6
                Museum Super Collector
                • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by jacoblb

Finally, I should point out if TJ Maxx had the rest of the figures from wave 1 and 2.
                So, you are confirming that you found the rest of Wave 1 (Lex, GL, Sinestro) at TJ Maxx? It wasn't just the Superman that apparently comes in cases of Wave 2?

Comment

• Sandman9580
                  Career Member
                  • Feb 16, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Well it's a crappy, entitled thing to say to the folks who take the time out make sure this place run smoothly.

We moderate leniently here and take a lot of things into consideration before doing so. There is absolutely no "iron fist" tactics in place as you are suggesting nor are we the drones of EMCE or any other company here as your "mild jab" also implied. We are in not in anyone's employ nor have EMCE or anyone else ever asked us to remove something.

I can't apologize if your perception sees it as something else because it's wrong and your criticism undeserved. We try to keep the peace here which is a lot less fun since the "dolly bashers" arrived.

I'm sorry, it's not my intention to come across as an entitled jerk. I just feel that when legitimate, toy-related threads (in which everyone is behaving civilly) get deleted, it sort of violates the collective spirit of an open forum (though not necessarily its moderating principles or guidelines, which I realize are at your discretion).

Having said that, I think you've explained things pretty clearly. And, I realize now that what was meant as a kind of "lighthearted, humorous ribbing" instead just came across as rude and insulting. No one here deserved that, and I apologize to you and the other mods.
                  Last edited by Sandman9580; Dec 13, '10, 5:16 AM.

Comment

• Wyld Knights
                    • Oct 7, 2009

Went to our local TJ Maxx the other day. Nothing. I'll try again this week.

Comment

• jacoblb
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2009

Originally posted by GoldBlade6
                      So, you are confirming that you found the rest of Wave 1 (Lex, GL, Sinestro) at TJ Maxx? It wasn't just the Superman that apparently comes in cases of Wave 2?

Nope, that was not the case at all. I thought I made that clearer, sorry. I only saw one wave 2 figure at TJM.

I was trying to convey that had other figures from wave 1 & 2 been available I would have bought them all from TJM for $10 each.

Comment

• GoldBlade6
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Dec 30, 2007

I missed the "if"! My bad...

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Sandman9580
                          I'm sorry, it's not my intention to come across as an entitled jerk. I just feel that when legitimate, toy-related threads (in which everyone is behaving civilly) get deleted, it sort of violates the collective spirit of an open forum (though not necessarily its moderating principles or guidelines, which I realize are at your discretion).

Having said that, I think you've explained things pretty clearly. And, I realize now that what was meant as a kind of "lighthearted, humorous ribbing" instead just came across as rude and insulting. No one here deserved that, and I apologize to you and the other mods.
                          Thanks dude, it's very much appreciated on our end.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Astronut
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by Azrak
                            ...at the end of the day you don't *know* anything. You're making educated guesses which may or may not be correct.
                            You don't know that for a fact. I don't either. For all we know the guy works in the toy industry... and he just claims he doesn't.

I like how people make baseless statements by grading people as either "informed" or "uniformed" when the truth of the matter is, unless you flat-out know the industry yourself, and you are not a toy maker with a biased agenda -- you do not know jack about whether they are qualified to comment. Far as I can tell, the guy has maintained a calm voice and he has made some interesting points, whether you like them or not. I like people who speak their mind and I like trading opinions with them... as long as they are not rude. And I have not seen this guy be rude without provocation.

Sometimes the truth is hard to accept. That a toy might be priced too high for the market. Most of us love the Retro-Action line. But they are priced beyond what they should be. Same thing happened when Toy Biz released its Famous Covers figures. Ten years ago they came out at $14.99 a pop. A little pricey. We all know how well that turned out. Three years later they were closed-out and clearance-priced for as low as $2.99. Same thing is going to happen with these I'm afraid.
                            Last edited by Astronut; Dec 13, '10, 2:22 PM.

Comment

• Flynne
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jan 22, 2003

Originally posted by Astronut
                              You don't know that for a fact. I don't either. For all we know the guy works in the toy industry... and he just claims he doesn't.

I like how people make baseless statements by grading people as either "informed" or "uniformed" when the truth of the matter is, unless you flat-out know the industry yourself, and you are not a toy maker with a biased agenda -- you do not know jack about whether they are qualified to comment.
                              To be fair, logically the converse of what you say is just as valid - You don't know that he does for a fact, either. Making a statement as fact without the factual basis to make it, in fact, a fact is as potentially false as it is potentially true. Making a counter argument that someone who disagrees with GeoffDude's statements is uninformed is as baseless as unliaterally supporting GeoffDude's "knowledge" with definitive proof.

Azrak's comment directed at GeoffDude is fair, if blunt, because making statements "known" fact without having the certain knowledge to back it up doesn't make it a fact. It's like saying "My car is parked in the garage". Even if that is where you left it, and it is most likely still there (because someone might have stolen it while you were away), you don't *know* it's there until you get proof that it is with your own two eyes. The same extends to the "I know a guy" argument - "I know a guy who tells me my car is still in the garage." That's trust, but it is neither knowledge thereof nor proof.

For myself, I work neither for TRU, nor Walmart, nor Target, nor Mattel. So my guesses are just that - speculation. I give that speculation as much belief as I do gas prices - I hope that I truly understand the market forces properly and judge when it is best to buy. That hardly makes me an Oil Company insider.
                              An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                                Moderation Engineer
                                • Aug 14, 2003

[QUOTE=Astronut;654382]You don't know that for a fact. I don't either. For all we know the guy works in the toy industry... and he just claims he doesn't.

So you'd be happier if I didn't take him at his word and called him a liar?

When he starts attending meetings at Mattel HQ, or corresponding directly with the Mattel employees in charge of the line, then he'll "know." "Opinions" and "facts" are two entirely different things. Dealing with people who operate otherwise is exasperating.

I've been eating Big Macs since 1975. I dated someone who worked for Burger King. My uncle has been an administrator for White Castle for over 30 years. My cousin managed a Wendy's while he worked his way through undergrad and law school. I've seen Supersize Me twice. I met Dave Thomas before he passed away. I can make pretty good guesses of how and why things are done in that industry, but you won't catch me going to some fast food forum throwing my weight around.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎