Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond's Next Wave of "Retro Figures" will be...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

I'd do Talos and a new character, maybe chekov or Sulu. Guess we won't see new stuff until 2020 if at all. I was hoping to buy a replica Zira for $20 instead of getting an original off of ebay for $15. Ya, right.

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Well...Scotty is one of the higher priced Crew Members MOC.

Yes....I too was hoping for Checkov & Sulu, or the Neptunian. But hey...I don't have a keeper, and at least the Star Trek line is still continuing.
      sigpic

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

it'd be interesting to hear exactly why they chose these two characters as opposed to
        replicas of the more rare aliens or producing new ones like Sulu etc.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• LadyZod
          Superman's Gal Pal
          • Jan 27, 2007

Probably went with these two because...crew and alien wave design.

Only one crew member left without having to invest too much in a new body, accessories or outfit. So ya, that's Scotty.

And the Keeper? Well, look at the rest:

Gorn-could have been made since all they would need is a head... but him or the Keeper? You chose. Brady Gorn is far too much to sculpt to be considered an easy add on.
          Cheron-outfit and black body? (If keeping to the original) gotta hope the black doesn't leak into the suit. Perhaps it would take a little more development before it's ready?(I would opt for a white body to avoid all that, but you know...)
          Neptunian-feet, hands, outfit... too much for a quickie.
          Mugato-crazy outfit
          Talosian-different scale body

With the Keeper? Head and one piece mumu. The guy's barefoot and goes commando. Cheap to produce and is weird looking for the kiddies. No wonder he got the nod.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
          Check out my art:
          Art Portfolio@Redbubble
          Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Cheap to produce and is weird looking for the kiddies. No wonder he got the nod.
            Sounds about right. Too bad though---maybe they'll be more ambitious next time around.

Sulu and Chekov can't be that hard to piece together from thier resources
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

I agree with what Hulk said. I figured we'd have to get through at least the crew before something new was even mentioned. But I think it's a good sign something has been stated past the first 3 announced sets. I'm actually looking forward to the Neptunian. I've bought 2 sets the others so far and will buy 2 sets of these and any others after them. I'm behind you Doc.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• mars396
                Museum Super Collector
                • Sep 14, 2007

not all that hard to figure out why these two were chosen.

Scottie (sic) - a no-brainer. The same three figures already released with a different head and a red shirt.

Keeper - the blue bodies are currently being mass-produced for the Andorian, so, a new head and a simple robe - voila: probably the easiest of all the Trek Megos to repro.

I am definitely getting a Keeper: due to its non-canon-ness I SOLD mine at a garage sale in 1984 for $1.50. Now, I can correct that mistake. And I will buy a bunch of Scotties for custom Red Shirts. I predict for that reason, the Scotties will outsell all other DST Retro Cloth figures released. I hope they are more heavily packed than the Keepers.

Comment

• ABMAC
                  User
                  • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by LadyZod
                  Mugato-crazy outfit
                  Outfits are not an obstacle. Mugato's suit is just a shirt and pants with fringe. He has ape hands and ape feet that will require new molds, though.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

not all that hard to figure out why these two were chosen.

Scottie (sic) - a no-brainer. The same three figures already released with a different head and a red shirt.
                    In that vein of thought, wouldn't it have been even EASIER to make Sulu and Chekov?

Comment

• jds1911a1
                      Alan Scott is the best GL
                      • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by huedell
                      In that vein of thought, wouldn't it have been even EASIER to make Sulu and Chekov?
                      Doc has been producing red shirts for years this is just ramping up production.
                      For sulu and checkov that depends on the head sculpting. Since most of the repro heads (including docs I believe) are based on a shrunk playmates head that sculpt my not be one they can use for a licensed item. So it might be cheaper to use the exact old mego head molds

I have said this before but I will say it again here. What a mego collector wants and what can sell to a Mass market aren't always the same. In this wave Keeper is a somewhat less common vintage mego so the chances of general sales go up. Scotty is the top of the second tier crew so he has salability to the general market who collect Startrek or remember their Scotty from their childhood but have never bought a mego on ebay. If all Doc was doing was making dolls for our cummunity a distributor like diamond wouldn't have bought it.

Wal mart is selling repros of the Adventure team joes. half of these have had reproductions in the recent past but among the joe collector club and hasbro's store exclusives (meijer, hot topi, urban outfitters) but they opted to marked all 5 to a mass audience to get more than just hardcore Joe collectors.

if the next wave of EMCE Star trek isn't what you want then just don't buy it. Sadly the reality is we aren't a large enough population to support a line with a reasonable price point without mass appeal.

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

if the next wave of EMCE Star trek isn't what you want then just don't buy it.
                        No problem there

Comment

• txteach
                          Banned
                          • Jun 17, 2005

Without new figures this line is going to die. Stop revamping already made figures. We ask for new figures and we get already produced crew members and a promise of more. While we wait patiently it's announced more rehashing. I will buy the aliens I couldn't afford as megos and anything NEW but no more rehashed crew.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Can't wait to own a MOC Scotty!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• rikitikitavi
                              Museum Mongoose
                              • Aug 15, 2003

I think we must recall that Paul Clarke is licensed under Diamond to make reproductions. He is not making a new collectors line. These are being aimed at more people than just us.

Comment

• dumbldor
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 9, 2002

I do not remember Paul Clarke promising new characters. If he did, someone please point out where he said it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎