The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Keaton, Lynda Carter and Christopher Reeve walk into a bar...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Michael Keaton, Lynda Carter and Christopher Reeve walk into a bar...

Except they can't, 'cause they are spectacular lookin' Statues!

Action Figure Insider Galleries:

It's not the Adam West Batman, but it's nice to see Mr Mom/Beetleguise join his other tv/move superfriends.

Who do you want to see next in this series?

I'm kinda hoping Nicholson Joker and Pfiefer Catwoman.

and Clooney's nipples. Not the costume and, just the bat-nipples. In a little box, like cufflinks.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

I'm digging the Small Lynda Carter statue in the back

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Oops. Wrong forum... I meant for this to go in Modern Toys.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Let's try to salvage this. Wouldn't these ROCK OUT as Mego-like Mattel Retro figs?

Comment

• EMCEtoys
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 1, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
          Let's try to salvage this. Wouldn't these ROCK OUT as Mego-like Mattel Retro figs?
          But again, wouldn't this raise the ire of the purists? I'm just asking on a purely rabbinical level, not that there's anything in the works...

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Chris Reeve and Lynda Carter Supes and WW ARE from the 70's that Mego did tackle in their own way.......IMO they would totally fit into the retro line except now the likeness could be dead on.....

as a matter of fact Adam West BurtWard and jackson Bostwick (shazam!) would also be sweet
            Last edited by kingdom warrior; Jul 24, '10, 4:42 PM.

Comment

• EMCEtoys
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 1, 2007

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
              Chris Reeve and Lynda Carter Supes and WW ARE from the 70's that Mego did tackle in their own way.......IMO they would totally fit into the retro line except now the likeness could be dead on.....
              sorry, i was focusing more on the michael keaton batman. i re-pose the question.

Comment

• Delusional B
                Museum Super Collector
                • Nov 14, 2007

I'm probably a Mego "purist" in that I'm not a big advocate of modern versions of characters under the Retro-Action banner.

However, if Emce/Mattel were to produce a "Movie and TV Classics" 8" line, it would be really cool to see stuff like this produced as Mego-ish figures... just not as part of a retro line with Retro-Action card art.

The same goes for modern versions of the characters. For instance, I'd love to see modern 8" Bat-characters from Emce/Mattel... just not on retro card art and as part of the "Retro-Action" line. I think that should be reserved for characters in their classic, Silver-Age duds.

Just my two cents.
                Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
                  sorry, i was focusing more on the michael keaton batman. i re-pose the question.
                  No keaton wouldn't fit in and Dane(The Bat) would have a heart attack

Comment

• EMCEtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 1, 2007

Originally posted by Delusional B
                    I'm probably a Mego "purist" in that I'm not a big advocate of modern versions of characters under the Retro-Action banner.

However, if Emce/Mattel were to produce a "Movie and TV Classics" 8" line, it would be really cool to see stuff like this produced as Mego-ish figures... just not as part of a retro line with Retro-Action card art.

The same goes for modern versions of the characters. For instance, I'd love to see modern 8" Bat-characters from Emce/Mattel... just not on retro card art and as part of the "Retro-Action" line. I think that should be reserved for characters in their classic, Silver-Age duds.

Just my two cents.
                    Okay, this is helpful, given that it was mostly your comments that prompted me to ask :-)

So from your perspective, it's a branding/packaging issue?

Comment

• RG
                      Removed.
                      • Oct 1, 2004

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                      I'm digging the Small Lynda Carter statue in the back
                      same here .... saw that in the EE catalog and for sure is a must have item for my collection.

Comment

• Delusional B
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Nov 14, 2007

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
                        Okay, this is helpful, given that it was mostly your comments that prompted me to ask :-)

So from your perspective, it's a branding/packaging issue?
                        Yeah, I think so. I guess it's just that the Retro-Action stuff is such a wonderful Mego "throwback" line, that it seems wrong, somehow, to add modern versions of characters to the line... kinda like seeing an airplane flying through the sky in the background of your favorite 1800s setting Western film. It cracks the illusion and suspension of disbelief. We WANT to pretend that these Retro-Action figures really ARE Megos, somewhere deep down.

I'm not against modern characters if they are part of a separate branding. I just think the "Retro Action" line should be treated as retro in all aspects until a great number of Silver Age characters have been done. Then, the brand could evolve into something else, if necessary.

With that being said, I can understand that there may be consumer and corporate pressure (especially if the format is exceeding expectations in sales) to push the line into territories (modern characters, Ghostbusters, etc.) that may not have been part of it's original inception.
                        Last edited by Delusional B; Jul 24, '10, 5:07 PM.
                        Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                          Radioactive!
                          • Feb 13, 2010

I think using Matty exclusives for modern figures a la Sinestro Corps Uniform is a good way to go, and leave the line proper to the classics.

Comment

• EMCEtoys
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 1, 2007

Really great insight and I certainly appreciate the candid feedback. As you know, all of this insight gets brought back to the table when we work with the client (and I'm sure they read this board, as well). Not all the comments make it into the line, of course, for whatever larger business reasons apply to each individual case.

However, I need to stress that, from the beginning we've been trying to use "what if Mego never stopped producing figures in the 1980s" as our guiding philosophy, and it seems that stopping at a particular point in time seems to conflict with that.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                              Radioactive!
                              • Feb 13, 2010

I guess I've looked at that philosophy as leading to the characters Mego would have added back in the day and eventually leading to more modern characters---after all the classics were done

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎