X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megojim
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 13, 2001

Jim's simplfied Mattel body fix

If this has been mentioned before I must have missed it . . . .
    My wave 2 figures did not hold a pose very well, guess I got lucky with wave 1.
    Anyway since I (like most of you) just display these figures I took the outfits off and wrapped the torso/pelvis joint with electrical tape twice around. This holds it in place just fine and even allows a little manipulation. The body stands upright with a typical pose.
    -jim

My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

It has been mentioned before, but never hurts to re-mention it, given the number of people having issues with the wobbles.
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Maybe this is a better solution
      quick fix suggestion for Mattel bodies - Mego Talk
      This way the body doesn't loose any articulation
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I took the cotton ball approach. Since the torso has too much play in the pelvis piece I just stuck one cotton ball inside the back pelvis and another in the front until I had him manipulated properly. It keeps the figure standing upright and allows you to still pose him as desired.

Comment

• megojim
          Permanent Member
          • Oct 13, 2001

well them . . . I figured I was late to this party with all the mattel body talk but my wave one figures didn't really have any issues. The one's I received yesterday are TERRIBLE! Certainly Mattel would not continue to produce these and feel they are putting their best foot forward, but we don't want to open up that can of worms again do we . . .
          My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

It would bug me too much knowing there was tape under the uniforms

Comment

• megojim
              Permanent Member
              • Oct 13, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey01
              It would bug me too much knowing there was tape under the uniforms
              I agree to a point but it bugs me more for my figures to be falling down all of the time or standing like some sort of failed science project.
              My Custom Figures

Comment

• Captain
                Fighting the good fight!
                • Jun 17, 2001

..you shouldnt lose any pose-ability with the tape? You dont wrap it around the joint..just wrap it on the bottom of the torso. It creates enough friction between the torso and pelvis to allow the figures to stand, but still allows them to move as before. I dont really care enough to worry about it, but if the tape bugs you, you can always trim it back, so its all concealed by the pelvis.

Its a quick and simple solution....not as effective as some of the body overhauls we've seen here, but its a lot easier to pull off, and works.
                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Duncan
                  Museum focus-groupie
                  • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by Captain
                  ..you shouldnt lose any pose-ability with the tape? You dont wrap it around the joint..just wrap it on the bottom of the torso. It creates enough friction between the torso and pelvis to allow the figures to stand, but still allows them to move as before. I dont really care enough to worry about it, but if the tape bugs you, you can always trim it back, so its all concealed by the pelvis.

Its a quick and simple solution....not as effective as some of the body overhauls we've seen here, but its a lot easier to pull off, and works.

I did this to 2 of the figs my kids play with, and to my '80-20 Rule' way of thinking, it's a decent solution. I even used duct tape so I could feel all manly, and whatnot. Thanks to whoever suggested it.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                    Radioactive!
                    • Feb 13, 2010

MIB41, I just tried your cotton ball approach and it works PERFECTLY--gives just the right amount of tension in the body so they stand and hold any pose I've tried.

Thank you so much for suggesting this cheap, easy fix!

Comment

• DocDrako
                      Formerly Doc Drako
                      • Nov 11, 2004

I too, tried the cotton ball fix. Worked nicely. All of my heroes stand tall now. My son had me fix his although he didn't even notice the hunch problem until I fixed mine. Thanks for the tip. I plan to try a variety of these fixes once I get wave 2. I'll figure out which fix I like most then. For now it's cotton balls.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎