• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

quick fix suggestion for Mattel bodies

Hi everyone,

So here is a fix that I have been using on the Mattel figures. It's quick, cheap, and as far as I'm concerned, works pretty well.

1. Head out the the automotive parts store and buy a roll of gasket sheet. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was around 5 bucks or so. It looks like this:

2. What we intend to do with it is make gaskets for the waist and hip joints. So cut out a rectangle roughly an inch by 3/4 inch. Then cut straight to the middle and cut out a hole. You can cut it with sharp fingernail scissors or exacto blade. It's very soft and cuts easily. Here is a pic of the piece:

3. Now open up the waist of your Mattel body and place the gasket inside so the elastic in the body fits inside the hole you made. Here is a fantastic drawing to make it obvious:

4. You can use a nice, new exacto blade to trim the gasket to follow the shape of the pelvis. It's very easy to cut, so just push the blade down into the gasket, don't try to slice with the blade as it will knock your gasket out of place. This particular figure was extra loose so I added another gasket on top of the first. You can do this for the hips as well, however it is a bit tricky to cut around the shape of the pelvis here. Here's how it should look all trimmed up:

And that's pretty much it! The body at least should stand up straight and at best should hold some poses:

a few footnotes: You don't have to take the head off at all, mine just happens not to have his.
    If you put the outfit back on and the gasket is pushing it out of shape, then you just need to trim it back a little more.
    You may notice I sanded the bottom of the torso and the right leg. This turned out to not be necessary.

Have fun and don't cut yourself!
    Expectation is the death of discovery.
  • Zemo
    Still Smokin'
    • Feb 14, 2006

Thank You!

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

I love the ingenuity of the customizers.

how about try some rubber gasket material; or cut a chunk from an old bike tire? That might grip pretty good as well.

Comment

• trekman101
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 6, 2009

I have experimented with a couple of body fixes....they don't involve taking the bodies apart and work pretty good.....I'm trying to figure out which one works the best and have a few more ideas to try.....when I come up with the best fix I will post it....I do know this...the legs are fine (like them or not) and the torso although to cone shaped is ok....the pelvis(to small)and stringing(to loose)are the problems......I will come up with a good easy fix...I'm sure of it...I just need to play with them a little more
        "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

CrimsonGhost,

I had stated pretty much the same here: Analysis of the Mattel Retro Action Body - Mego Talk I use vinyl sheet instead of gasket sheet. We can not be both wrong! Regards,

Boy

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

^^Cool. I found that restringing wasn't necessary when there was enough friction between the joints.

Comment

• boynightwing
              That Carl Guy
              • Apr 24, 2002

Its better then my masking tape wrapped around the body method.

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

An easy and cheap fix, thanks
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Mod Style
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 1, 2009

Has anyone tried re-stringing with a Mego pelvis?, and if so; what was the result?

Comment

• Mod Style
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 1, 2009

Originally posted by Mod Style
                    Has anyone tried re-stringing with a Mego pelvis?, and if so; what was the result?
                    Never mind, I just found Captain's post on the subject.

Comment

• bondtoddbond
                      Mego Museum Super Spy
                      • Aug 14, 2009

I decided to open my Green Lantern yesterday and a rag doll stands better than this figure. It was pitiful. I did a version of the gasket fix. I cut 3 small circles out of a piece of foam gasket, put a slit halfway across and slid them into the pelvis at the waist and legs, with the elastic bands coming through the slits. This worked pretty well. He at least stands now. Common sense tells you that polished smooth surfaces won't hold position. So I can attest to the gasket method, thanks for the idea Crimson Ghost! I was going to replace the body, but that really seems crazy after buying a new figure for $20.
                      sigpic "It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Thanks for trying it and reporting back! I guess you can use anything similar to make gaskets, but I had sheet gasket lying around so I used it. The gasket has a nice grip to it and I think it works pretty well. And as for cheap, 1 roll is probably more than you will ever need.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                          Live Long and Prosper
                          • Mar 23, 2008

Fantastic! Thanks for posting this fix.
                          Sammy

Comment

• JimCem99
                            New Yorker stuck in Hell!
                            • Jan 30, 2010

I didn't have any cotton balls to use or gasket sheet but used cotton rounds; worked well on my GA and GL. Either that or switching the bodies but I didn't know how to switch the hands to a CTVT body.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎