X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Analysis of the Mattel Retro Action Body

I listen to people complaint about the pelvis or about the "big" thighs on the Mattel Retro Action bodies... Those of us who had the opportunity of tearing apart several Retro Action bodies would agree upon that these look much better than Mego bodies part by part. Let's see:

1) Arms - Have better muscle definition and look much better than Mego body arms. The ONLY Mego Like body out there having arms that look better than Mattel's is the ZICA body. Not even other swivel arms out there look better than Mattel's.

2) Torso - Has better muscle definition and makes a better transition to arms and to pelvis than Mego body torsos. It is also slimmer and looks more normal and natural. No other Mego Like body out there tops Mattel on this department... Not even ZICA (torso is too wide and looks odd attached to the pelvis).

3) Pelvis - This one is kind of tough to explain but let’s just say Mattel's pelvis resemble a men pelvis much better than Mego's. Less wide and better defined.

4) Legs – Here is where most of our complaints are… The unexpected, undesirable and unwanted crazy legs, cowboy legs or bowed legs look. The leg thighs are definitely bulkier when compared to Mego bodies or other Mego Like formats out there' but not really to the extent of looking odd. So what is it that is causing the bowed legs syndrome? To me there are three main reasons:

Reason #1 - Close examination will reveal that the joint transition between the leg thigh (top leg part) and the leg calves (bottom leg part) is achieved with a slanted (at an angle) articulation joint cut instead of a straight horizontal joint cut like in Mego body legs (and mostly all other articulated legs out there)

Reason #2 - Stringing of legs to body. Not sufficiently tight.

Reason #3 - Legs and pelvis meet with each other's polished contact surface. Since no one exerts friction to the other, there is the natural tendency of the legs to slip and be "loose". The non friction problem is also present among both parts at the torso-pelvis articulation joint.

I had "remade" all of my Mattel Retro Action bodies by breaking the factory stringing and restringing again like we do with our Mego bodies. Also, I had developed vinyl gaskets that add friction at the torso-pelvis articulation and legs-pelvis articulation joint. The results are amazing and will soon post at a separate thread most likely. I'll keep you posted!
    Last edited by Boywonder0; Aug 1, '10, 5:47 PM. Reason: Update!
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Boywonder0
    I had "remade" all of my Mattel Retro Action bodies by breaking the factory stringing with the wide black elastics and restringing again like we do with our Mego bodies.
    That statement stands out above the rest. You remade ALL of the figures. Well that's what I call a factory defect. Here's a better idea...Have the factory fix it. Paying $20.00 a pop is too much to have to fix anything. Plus you have plenty of folks who never crack open the package so they want the figure to look correct already. Of course we can always wait until their marked down to $5.00 and then tear them apart. Yeah! That's a good idea. Oh, but that means the line dies... oh... Oh well!!

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

To Be Honest...
      I really do Not Mind the Look of the Body ..., If they could just get the thing to work ... properly , Now that is what really bothers me about the Body.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Personally, I really don't mind the loose floppy legs ... As long as it stands it's ok with me .

What bugs me is the too small lower torso (butt section) --- it just looks weird and ruins the whole figure's look.

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
          That statement stands out above the rest. You remade ALL of the figures. Well that's what I call a factory defect. Here's a better idea...Have the factory fix it. Paying $20.00 a pop is too much to have to fix anything. Plus you have plenty of folks who never crack open the package so they want the figure to look correct already. Of course we can always wait until their marked down to $5.00 and then tear them apart. Yeah! That's a good idea. Oh, but that means the line dies... oh... Oh well!!
          You really have to let go your hate for the Retro Action figures or else it could get you ill... If there is something I don't like, I simply won't buy it. I don't incur into a campaign to make people who do like the figures try not to like them...

With respect to the $20 pricetag... Let's see: A Dr Mego or Cast-A-Way body costs: $7 ea... (Zica: $10 ea). Now lets buy a head for the body: $5 for a Dr. Mego China made head, or $5 for a Cast-A-Way head... Is that $12 already? Oh wait! The boots! Is that $5 more (Dr. Mego or Cast-A-Way)? Don't forget about the costume... Belt? Gloves? Accessories? Ah... The real killer... Shipping...

Isn't it better to just grab a whole package at Toys-R-Us for just $20? No wait... Don't buy something you don't like. Leave it there for us who do like them!

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

You really have to let go your hate for the Retro Action figures or else it could get you ill... If there is something I don't like, I simply won't buy it. I don't incur into a campaign to make people who do like the figures try not to like them...

Isn't it better to just grab a whole package at Toys-R-Us for just $20? No wait... Don't buy something you don't like. Leave it there for us who do like them!
            It's not just about liking or not liking. Most people here like these and have bought them and have already stated they will continue to buy them. But people have complaints about the quality, which is totally deserved. If you buy a new car you expect the engine to run as it should and have 4 tires. When you go and pick it up and you only have 3 tires or the engine is dead, wouldn't you complain?

The fact that you can't assemble a custom for that price is besides the point. Mattel put a $20 tag on it, a brand new toy, fresh from the factory, it's only normal customers expect to get their money's worth, meaning a non-defected toy, which these clearly aren't.
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Boywonder0
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
              Even emce has some figures under $15 so defend that.
              I don't have to defend that nor anything against you. The only Defendor here is you that came to the rescue of MIB41... It's easy man... You don't like it, don't buy it!

Of course you always have the right to complaint about quality issues but you will have to do it directly with Mattel. Around here is useless... More like whining...

Comment

• CoolLou
                Museum Patron
                • Nov 23, 2007

Whay is everyone complaining?? In 1997 when I signed up on the original Mego list we DREAMED of the day when someone could remake a Mego!!! The consensus for the most part is that it could never get done and Paul Clarke (Dr. Mego) casting his own parts was as close to an original Mego we would ever see. Cherish these things! Love them for what they are ..TOYS!!!! Come on boys and girls!!! Let's celebrate by swapping all of their clothes, decapitating a few, tying a paper towel parachute to their backs and throw them off the roof!!!
                Lou Melograna
                aka The Knockoff King
                M E G O L I K E . c o m ::: enter

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Boywonder0, could you post pics of your restringing efforts? Thanks.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by CoolLou
                    Whay is everyone complaining?? In 1997 when I signed up on the original Mego list we DREAMED of the day when someone could remake a Mego!!! The consensus for the most part is that it could never get done and Paul Clarke (Dr. Mego) casting his own parts was as close to an original Mego we would ever see. Cherish these things! Love them for what they are ..TOYS!!!! Come on boys and girls!!! Let's celebrate by swapping all of their clothes, decapitating a few, tying a paper towel parachute to their backs and throw them off the roof!!!
                    I can see how you played w/ your toys Lou!
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Boywonder0
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by CoolLou
                      Couldn't be said better... Go Retro Action!

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

I don't have to defend that nor anything against you. The only Defendor here is you that came to the rescue of MIB41... It's easy man... You don't like it, don't buy it!

Of course you always have the right to complaint about quality issues but you will have to do it directly with Mattel. Around here is useless... More like whining...
                        "Boy Wonder" () nobody has to 'rescue' me. I know many of the posters on this board and they happen to be quite good people. Thanks Rich and Meule. Now regarding my criticisms - I jump in, speak my peace and move on. Feel free to waste your time weeding through my posts to find contradictions in those opinions. You will find a consistent point of view, and I tend to stay away from the majority of conflicts that get started regarding this line or any other. So there is no "hate" involved for this toy. Actually my opinion is pretty much in lock step with a vast majority of those who have purchased this line, including a number of merchants.

So, why you chose to focus on my opinion is quite curious, but nonetheless fine with me. Perhaps it was how I overlooked your 12 paragraph (plus) manifesto regarding your undying love for this line (and you call me obsessed with a feeling)? Perhaps its because you don't feel I give the appropriate lap dog response to those who made it "all happen"? Now, now....the concept of capitalism and the almighty dollar is probably lulling those parties to sleep each night. So I'm sure that 'tough' outer shell is plenty hard for anything I or anyone else has to say (I would hope). So my question to you is pretty simple - Where is your investment in this toy? And why do you care? If you don't agree with these criticisms, I'm happy for you. Go forth and rejoice that you are not weighed down with these harsh feelings that some of us happen to carry. And get those heavenly fingers ready to fix another line of figures with that same 'vomit' posture. I'm sure it will be nothing short of a labor of love for you.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
                          Boywonder0, could you post pics of your restringing efforts? Thanks.
                          I'm away from home enjoying some vacations. I sure will once back home. Regards!

Comment

• JimCem99
                            New Yorker stuck in Hell!
                            • Jan 30, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey01
                            Personally, I really don't mind the loose floppy legs ... As long as it stands it's ok with me .

What bugs me is the too small lower torso (butt section) --- it just looks weird and ruins the whole figure's look.
                            I agree about it standing. If it can, the Superman I just took out can't stand on its own and bends over. Pretty sad. I'll be calling Mattel on Tues. and I can't wait to get some bodies to switch Supes.

Comment

• CoolLou
                              Museum Patron
                              • Nov 23, 2007

Like I said..let's decapitate a few of dem toyz!!!!!! OH YEA!
                              Lou Melograna
                              aka The Knockoff King
                              M E G O L I K E . c o m ::: enter

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎