Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • e
    • Mar 8, 2010

body swap tutorial?

ok, i see lots of folks singing the praises and the simplicity of the castaway body swap. i'm thinking it's a good idea.

however, i am a complete head-popping, torso-splitting, body-swapping virgin/moron. all the talk of cutting off part of the head stump, and swapping out forearms is greek to me, and i have no visual reference.

any chance one of you ambitious lot would consider creating a visual swap tutorial?

that would be most helpful. i'd also really appreciate knowing exactly what i'll need to buy from castaway. just four caucasian bodies?

thanks a million to anyone who gets this together, or offers some dumbed-down advice for a rookie like me.

right on!
    e
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

body swap tutorial?

Hi E,
    I just posted a few pics below your thread,...In which i display the parts i used to give the Mattel figures (what i believe)..The best overall look and poseability. I think it works.....SWELL!!!

Just completed Lex Luthor,...Man these figures are lookin' Fantastic!
    I can imagine Muele posting his infamous words...."This thread is Meaningless without Pics". There coming, there coming.

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Ivaniski
      Hi E,
      I just posted a few pics below your thread,...In which i display the parts i used to give the Mattel figures (what i believe)..The best overall look and poseability. I think it works.....SWELL!!!

Just completed Lex Luthor,...Man these figures are lookin' Fantastic!
      I can imagine Muele posting his infamous words...."This thread is Meaningless without Pics". There coming, there coming.

Oh, and welcome aboard e
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• David Lee
        The Fix-it-up Chappie
        • Jun 10, 2002

I put them in my dehydrator, it really warms them up very nice and the heads just pop right out... no destroyed bodies. Boiling would work just as well.... When you start pulling the head realize theres a disc inside the neck that has to slide out.... so keeep pulling it will eventualy slide out.

-Dave

Comment

• Ivaniski
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 24, 2007

body swap tutorial?

The head "Pops" right out of the body when you connect the the upper arms to a Vice and apply pressure from the side. See my diagram below........

With this Method; The head comes off intact, Torso opens up easily.....like an egg coming out a hen! See second picture below for example.

Torso splits open without any mess......No figures were hurt during this process. (Pun intende!)
          Last edited by Ivaniski; Mar 13, '10, 4:04 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

Looks like that mattel torso is pretty messed up. I'd like to get the head off without damaging the body at all. Is boiling water the better way to go?
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by Brown Bear
              Is boiling water the better way to go?
              Worked for me really fast. I just ran it under the hotwater tap but again, our hot tap is really hot so it was fast. My daughter was there watching me and she was surprised how fast it worked. Of course she wanted to keep the body.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Boiling water & a dremel are the customizer's best friends!
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                  MeGoing
                  • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by ealdrett
                  Worked for me really fast. I just ran it under the hotwater tap but again, our hot tap is really hot so it was fast. My daughter was there watching me and she was surprised how fast it worked. Of course she wanted to keep the body.
                  Does it just pop out with boiling water run over the head and/or body? Can you elaborate a little for the incompetent please?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎