X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by rcbats1
    I'm sure the fascination comes from the history of Mego's RC Batman...but I love the idea of Batman being able to take his cowl off and becoming Bruce Wayne...blue hands or no blue hands. And if Mego could pull off a Removable cowl 30 years ago...then you'd think Mattel , or any other company could do it nicely now. Look at DC Directs Silver Age Hawkman or even "The Batman" Bruce Wayne figure from Mattel...very well done and one of my favorite toys.
    Well...I pretty much new which corner you were in. And I LOVE my RC Batman, and it's my ONLY original Mego I was able to hold onto from my Childhood. So there's a big nostalgia factor there for me...and wouldn't have minded seeing an exact Repro of him. Of course that might upset "vintage Collectors"...and we get into the Repro argument again.

I guess BlackKnight said it best. For us Customizers...nothing has changed. The reason we started customizing in the first place, was one of two things:

1.) Mego never made the Character we wanted(Green Lantern, Flash, etc...).

2.)Mego didn't do a good job with Character(Molded Cowl Batman, Captain America, etc..)...so we felt the need to "improve" them.

So at the end of the Day...I guess the customizing hobby is alive and well.
    sigpic

Comment

• Raydeen1
      Persistent Member
      • May 23, 2008

It does look like those guy's renditions but more Megoy.
      For the record, my 8 and 11 year olds want him.

I understand your frustration. I do. I'm not 100% happy with any of the figures so far with the possible exception of Manta. Those glove cuffs just kill it for me but they can be removed and replaced. I've been complaining about these figures alot. However, that goofy looking helmet head Batman is growing on me and it SCREAMS Mego. I do want it improved. I want longer, sharper ears and blue shorts and the Bruce head fixed up. It does look 70s though and it definitely has the Mego feel.

Originally posted by The Bat
      Ya know, here's the thing I just don't get . Before the Mattel Prototype was shown...pretty much ever body(but not every one) was in agreement that Batman should be based on one of 70's Mego era Artists: Adams, Giordano, Garcia Lopez, Jim Aparo, etc... Then Mattel releases this goofy looking Batman that my 9 year old Nephew wouldn't even want...and suddenly every body changes their tune?? I'm still just dazed & confused.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Raydeen1
        For the record, my 8 and 11 year olds want him.
        I guess some Kids are more discerning than others(no insult intended). But I'll never forget many years back, when Super Heroes had just started making their way back onto Toy Shelves. I was in Toys R' Us with my 9 year old Nephew. I was looking at a Spiderman Figure thinking to myself...the Head is to big for his Body. So I turned to my Nephew and asked, "what do you think of this Spidey Figure"? He immediately replied..."his Head's too big"! I'll tell ya...I was so proud of that Boy!
        sigpic

Comment

• Megosaurus
          Banned
          • Aug 6, 2007

I still think it is a dumb idea to have a removable mask on a figure with odd blue hands. Just makes no sense unless they want more cash for an alter ego figure which is kinda annoying.

Comment

• drmego
            EMCE Toys
            • Jun 15, 2001

Long may it wave

We could never please everyone with the Batman figure - as evidenced
            by all the posts on the boards - but deep down I always knew that
            once the figure is out, you guys would make each one unique.

I have been a customizer since my first Shazam was made into the
            Flash using the clinch tie from a kitchen garbage bag for his belt
            and an emblem cut out from a Lois Lane comic.

My greatest hope is that some 8 year old does the same thing
            to one of the new figures.

[/QUOTE]
            So at the end of the Day...I guess the customizing hobby is alive and well.[/QUOTE]
            www.drmego.com
            www.megoman.com
            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• spamn
              Minty and All-Original!
              • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by drmego
              I have been a customizer since my first Shazam was made into the Flash using the clinch tie from a kitchen garbage bag for his belt and an emblem cut out from a Lois Lane comic.

My greatest hope is that some 8 year old does the same thing
              to one of the new figures.
              Hah! I did the same thing - those yellow zig-zaggy ties were awesome Mego belts!

Comment

• Megosaurus
                Banned
                • Aug 6, 2007

It is a nice idea...but not particularly fair or practical to fans or parents. It is easier for a child to dream up new costumes as opposed to purchasing and/or swapping hands. It seems this targets the adult customizer population and not children. Of course you can't please all consumers but by making your product with more general appeal certainly hopes...which is one of my core beliefs why Mego worked so well.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 23, 2008

None taken.

They liked GA, Batman and Manta.

They thought Superman's head looked funny, Two Face too cute, Aquaman too young. They didn't care about the rest.

My kids just love the idea of the removable mask so I'm fairly certain they'd pretty much take anything. They also hate the cuffs. The want gloves.

I guess some Kids are more discerning than others(no insult intended). But I'll never forget many years back, when Super Heroes had just started making their way back onto Toy Shelves. I was in Toys R' Us with my 9 year old Nephew. I was looking at a Spiderman Figure thinking to myself...the Head is to big for his Body. So I turned to my Nephew and asked, "what do you think of this Spidey Figure"? He immediately replied..."his Head's too big"! I'll tell ya...I was so proud of that Boy!

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by drmego
                    Hmmm...I've heard that somewhere before?
                    sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Not so keen on removeable masked figs, the scaling is difficult. The charm with Mego was that you could have all versions: masked, molded, & SI. I love the Mego cowl itself, but I guess I"m in the minority in preferring the molded head, even with short ears.

I'd much rather see Mattel release a classic Adams Batman initially, and do SI later as perhaps deluxe sets with masks & gloves, extra civvie outfits.

The proto head is disappointing, and I certainly hope we don't get that painted shading...
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LadyZod
                        Superman's Gal Pal
                        • Jan 27, 2007

I actually liked the helmet-looking mask with the black deco.

It very much reminded of the Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon (which is popular with kids) and the animated opening of the 66 Batman TV show.

And quite frankly, with all the Batmans available (from hulking Frank Millerish monstrosity to Jim Lee over rendered pouch and strap-man), it's refreshing to see an innocent looking Batman from my childhood represented.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                        Check out my art:
                        Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                        Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• geoffdude
                          Banned
                          • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by LadyZod
                          It very much reminded of the Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon (which is popular with kids) and the animated opening of the 66 Batman TV show.
                          It's not just popular with kids, it's quite popular with adults who appreciate great cartoons too. (Of which I count myself ).

I've long watched cartoons, DC heroes specifically.. the Batman: Brave & the Bold series is spectacular. They throw so many insider easter eggs in every episode that it's become a game to try and find what the writers and artist pepper in. Great show, if you have not seen an episode I suggest you give it a try. It also has one of the best interpretations of Aquaman ever done.

One example of a cool insider thing, is in a recent episode they included the Ideal Toys 1960's Justice League Playset Robot. See examples below:

Ideal Toys JLA Robot:

Scene from Batman Brave & The Bold:
                          Last edited by geoffdude; Feb 21, '10, 1:05 PM.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 23, 2008

Bumping this up. Been a while. Surely a painted example exits by now. Would LOVE to see it.

Comment

• Gremlin517
                              Museum Patron
                              • Sep 20, 2009

Ya know, here's the thing I just don't get . Before the Mattel Prototype was shown...pretty much every body(but not every one) was in agreement that Batman should be based on one of 70's Mego era Artists: Adams, Giordano, Garcia Lopez, Jim Aparo, etc... Then Mattel releases this goofy looking Batman that my 9 year old Nephew wouldn't even want...and suddenly every body changes their tune?? I'm still just dazed & confused.

Not me, though, I was always in favor of a Carmine Infantino or a Dick Sprang Batman and have never cared for the Dick Giordano, Neal Adams Batman--I think you can even find other posts by me saying so--I don't begrudge you an action figure though, just hope for earlier Bats first...

Grem-
                              Last edited by Gremlin517; Mar 2, '10, 11:11 PM.
                              Give us Golden Age Mego!!! Hourman! Golden Age Green Lantern, Jay Garrick would absolutely rock!sigpic

Comment

• Gremlin517
                                Museum Patron
                                • Sep 20, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                Not so keen on removeable masked figs, the scaling is difficult. The charm with Mego was that you could have all versions: masked, molded, & SI. I love the Mego cowl itself, but I guess I"m in the minority in preferring the molded head, even with short ears.

I'd much rather see Mattel release a classic Adams Batman initially, and do SI later as perhaps deluxe sets with masks & gloves, extra civvie outfits.

The proto head is disappointing, and I certainly hope we don't get that painted shading...
                                But the removable cowl was before the other one and was replaced by it--they may have (though I don't think so) overlapped, but the one replaced the other. I'm sure later on, we'll get a non removable mask...

Grem-
                                Give us Golden Age Mego!!! Hourman! Golden Age Green Lantern, Jay Garrick would absolutely rock!sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎