The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a market for new Doctor Who Megos?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

I'd be all over an 8" Mego-esque Doctor Who line, but as mentioned above, the chances of it doing well here in the States would be rough.
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey01
      I hate to admit this (being a huge Dr Who fan) but I think the American sales would be horribly bad.

Most average Americans only know 1 Doctor Who --- Tom Baker

He would be a smash as a novelty

Any other figure would fail miserably here.

I'm not saying there's no American Doctor Who fans -- on the contrary ..... I'm just saying realistically there's not enough to make the series as a whole anything but a failure.
      I totally agree!

Comment

• SoulSinger
        Singer Of Mego Love
        • Oct 22, 2007

Gotta have a Tardis too!

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

Hmmm... let me think about that... errr... NO

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Speaking of Dr.Who...
            4 VINTAGE OLD Dr WHO Toys Tardis K9 Darlek Denys Fisher - eBay (item 270521478723 end time Feb-02-10 11:08:34 PST)
            This would be great to own. The tardis here is awesome. I'd rather have a Collin Baker figure than Tom.

Comment

• bobws
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 13, 2008

I would so get every Mego 8" figure they could produce! i wopuld love to see 3 characters released at a time a Doctor a Companion and a Monster or enemy. release them evry 3 months. start with Tennent, Rose and new Cybermen second set go back to Tom Baker, Leela and robot of death. and just keep going!
              "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• Tothiro
                Kitten Mittens
                • Aug 28, 2008

Ugh. I would love a Doctor Who line... But sales would be nigh impossible. Tennant would probably be the more popular. I never really got behind him - so for modern I'd actually love an Eccleston - I thought his run was brilliant.
                Baker was my Dr growing up, so he'd be my main choice.

Honestly though - there's got to be what? Twenty of us? Sadface. I'd be so excited by that line though.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I think it's a tremendous property but the two main barriers are

1) As mentioned before, it's likely a high guarantee property, meaning you pass that extra cost onto the consumer, figures would possibly cost anywhere from $25-30 SRP. Most licensed Who collector Who items are pretty pricey.

2) It's been done before and recently, it's one thing to do 8" with an entirely new property but when competition has already released an excellent figure of your biggest character last year, it lessens your impact. A lot less people will buy one because they already have a figure in another format.

Would I personally buy them? Hells Yes, I bought all the CO stuff and I despise that format, so I'm part of the "Inelastic Demand' crowd.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I had high hopes for the 12 inch Doctor Who figures, but what do they make:
                    Clockwork Man? Ood? Human Dalek? Rhino face guys?
                    Who made these choices? A guy with a huge Jar Jar collection?
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                      I had high hopes for the 12 inch Doctor Who figures, but what do they make:
                      Clockwork Man? Ood? Human Dalek? Rhino face guys?
                      Who made these choices? A guy with a huge Jar Jar collection?
                      Yeah the lack of a 12" Master confused me.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

Sure maybe 20 of us HERE on the forum. What about other places?

I went to DragonCon last year, and there were Dr. Who fans, of every era, all over the place!

I'm talking mostly about Troughton, Pertwee, Baker, Davidson, Baker, and McCoy.

I counted at least four Leelas, two Sarah Janes, and a bunch of Aces.

Don't quote me, but I think there was a prop Tardis that kept popping up!

Not to mention Dr. Who fan clubs, websites, etc.

I'd love to get my hands on a Colin Baker Dr. He was one of my favorites. He was just so snappy and snarly, I wanted to give him a good kick in the rear!
                        JediJaida

Comment

• TrueDave
                          Toy Maker
                          • Jan 12, 2008

I think I remember seeing an advance order a couple of years back on a Tom Baker 12" from Cotswold but as far as I know it never surfaced. All I have seen is the 9 inch plastic one that talks.

I would LOVE a Dr Who line. Classic. Jon Pertwee especially!

And right it is very campy 1970s , very Mego.

As for the figures being releasedin other sizes . . look at Marvel. Ho wmany sizes of how many characters can you possibly get?

But those can sell to kids.

Old funny dressed Granpa guys dont seem to do well with kids I guess.

Now I'm sad

Tardis. I want a Tardis console ! and Bessie!

This is why God inventing customizers.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I think price is a big factor.

In America, the Dapol line sold relatively well (to the collectors they were geared toward) because they were reasonably priced.

Yes, the Dapols were rather lousy figures, but the roughly $5.00-$8.00 apeice asking price was just impossible to pass on.
                            I bought the Dapol TARDIS for $15.00 back in the day.

Those were the days you really could collect them all.

Today though, Dr Who stuff is too expensive --- most fans can only collect figures they really really want.

Comment

• JediJaida
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 14, 2008

As long as the price was reasonable, I'd buy a few.

I'd really like to get my greedy paws on K9, a Dalek, a Cyberman, the sixth, eighth, ninth, and tenth Doctors, Leela, Ace, Rose, and Sarah Jane.
                              JediJaida

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

I'd be all over these in a heartbeat. But sadly,I don't see it happening.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎