X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mod Style
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 1, 2009

A Public Thank You to Doc

The first Mego I ever bought off the shelf was Action Jackson in 1971. That was quickly followed by WGSH Trek and Apes, and many others. So I don't think I would be remiss in calling myself a "mego veteran". I just got my two Green Arrows the other day and in my opinion the figures are just glorious from top to bottom! The colors are explosive. I love the muscular body style. Even the more muscular thighs....it makes him look like, well, a super hero. Everything about this figure seems to be a progression from the things that Mego did. Mego moved from the Type 1 to Type 2 bodies and moved away from the oven mitts, and this new body style just seems like a natural progession. This figure was inspired by, modeled after, and made in tribute to Megos so this figure is for me in every way, the 2010 version Mego!

Yeah, I read all the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth before this figure ever came out. People were griping about the body style, the arrow, the packaging. Heck, even Matty Collector was tried and convicted before these ever went on sale. When you look at the price of action figures today, I did not find this figure to be overpriced, especially being an exclusive. Even as a child I realized that every single detail of something I bought was not going to be exactly how I would have wanted it. So for those who have a problem with these figures, simply don't buy them. I, on the other hand, love the figure from top to bottom. From the time I ordered it until the time I opened it, I did not at any time feel like I was "walking off a cliff" or "drinking the kool-aid".

Doc, I just wanted to publicly say "thank you" to you! This is a dream come true for Mego super hero fans! Without your hard work, this never would have happened. When Wave 1 comes out, I'll be there.

Joe
  • drmego
    EMCE Toys
    • Jun 15, 2001

Thanks for the kind words - although it's not like a choice - it has been
    an obsession with me since I first day I found the Mego Museum and
    realized that I was not the only guy who loved MEGO.

In the late 80s, I was at a flea market buying loose and carded
    superheroes, Star Trek, and Apes from a guy who was getting
    them from Canada. He was the person who told me MEGO was
    out of business.

Until I found the Museum, I never knew that MEGO made pirates,
    knights, or Robin Hood - and certainly not Jungle Jett!
    www.drmego.com
    www.megoman.com
    www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

In the late 80s, I was at a flea market buying loose and carded
      them from Canada.
      You know, that could have been me he was getting them from. I did 75% of my trading to Long Island in those days. I was getting $12 for boxed WGSH, $15 for Green Arrow (he was rare!).
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• timmy
        • Feb 5, 2008

I agree with MOD.
        My thoughts exactly.I can't put the thing down! It's right next to me as I work.
        The Mattel GA gives the memory of the Mego heroes you remember as a kid,
        but executed in the modern era.
        The body evolution had to happen, to make it relevant in today's kids market.

I think it is perfect.

This is not the abomination we have been served a few times before.

Don't take lightly the effort that was expended to get the GA to the level and quality and still maintain a retro feel.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I love it too. They are just too cool. You have outdone yourself Paul.

Comment

• supes
            For the love of Mego's!
            • Jan 19, 2004

I agree Paul you are the Man!!!! You have made a dream come true for a lot of boys and girls, big and small! Can't wait for series 1, and the announcement of who is in series 2.

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• shellhead
              museum rustpot
              • Mar 1, 2007

Doc, more than anyone , you've truly brought Mego back. You've brought back many of our favorites ,AND, added new ones as well.
              All this with the blessings and guidance of Marty and Ken Abrams.
              When Marty says you brought Mego back, it don't get more real than that !
              Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• trekman101
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2009

I have stated the same feelings over the past few days......GA is a very...very good first step in the resurrection of Mego like figures for the masses.Doc definitely deserves our thanks and appreciation for spear heading this venture with Mattel..........thanks Paul
                "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Paul, without question your drive and Mattel's willingness to listen are the reason why we are sitting here today holding this figure. Yeah I barked some about the card design, but you know what? I still bought four of them, so I think my love for the figure is well on display. He's as cool as any vintage Mego I have and if that isn't an endorsement of the product, I don't know what is. A great first figure and a great first choice of character too! I thank you Paul from the bottom of my collector heart.

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Yes, despite my criticism of Mattel's new Body...I too am extremely grateful for the RETURN of MEGO!! Are the perfect? No...but they can easily be fixed. It really is a dream come true...and I know hard you've worked to make it happen.

So thanks Paul!!
                    sigpic

Comment

• drmego
                      EMCE Toys
                      • Jun 15, 2001

It wasn't you

Brian,

It wasn't you - the guy I was buying from at Roosevelt Raceway flea
                      market was at least in his 60's. He was selling a lot of toys and he
                      didn't know much. If it was you, I would have found out about the
                      knights, pirates, etc. - I wish I had met you then! We could have
                      been doing all this 10 years earlier.

Originally posted by palitoy
                      You know, that could have been me he was getting them from. I did 75% of my trading to Long Island in those days. I was getting $12 for boxed WGSH, $15 for Green Arrow (he was rare!).
                      www.drmego.com
                      www.megoman.com
                      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

I thought Brian was 87 years old. Are you sure it wasn't him? Us Canadians can't read a map.
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by drmego
                          Brian,

It wasn't you - the guy I was buying from at Roosevelt Raceway flea
                          market was at least in his 60's. He was selling a lot of toys and he
                          didn't know much. If it was you, I would have found out about the
                          knights, pirates, etc. - I wish I had met you then! We could have
                          been doing all this 10 years earlier.
                          I didn't mean it was me that had the flea market stall (I've never even been to LI) but when you mentioned the dealer was getting them out of Canada,
                          I was at a flea market buying loose and carded
                          them from Canada.
                          I was pretty active selling to Long Island Dealers at the time with the parkdale inventory.

Although I think most of the guys I was dealing with were in their late 20s. So probably not me but maybe somebody i knew...

Comment

• drmego
                            EMCE Toys
                            • Jun 15, 2001

Never been to Long Island? Next time you're in NYC, call me and I'll give
                            you the guided tour!

"I didn't mean it was me that had the flea market stall (I've never even been to LI) but when you mentioned the dealer was getting them out of Canada"
                            www.drmego.com
                            www.megoman.com
                            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Can we go to Mastic? I hear good things.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎