The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMCE - Any Chance of Ever Getting a Marvel License?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HoldyourfireAl
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 7, 2009

EMCE - Any Chance of Ever Getting a Marvel License?

As cool as the DC figures look and I will be buying some, I'm a diehard Marvel fan. Is there any possibility that we will see a Marvel line one day?
    http://www.statuemarvels.com
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Who would you talk to in order to get it? Do you talk to Marvel? Or Disney who owns Marvel? Do you talk to Hasbro who handles Marvel stuff? Or Mattel who handles Disney stuff?

Comment

• HoldyourfireAl
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 7, 2009

I don't care. Just talk to someone!!!!
      http://www.statuemarvels.com

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Hasbro holds the master toy liscense, so it would be them Doc would have to deal with.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MightyMegs
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 5, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Hasbro holds the master toy liscense, so it would be them Doc would have to deal with.
          Habro holds the master toy licence for Star Wars too... but 'sub-let'ed out the 12" portion to Sideshow. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility... I'm sure Marvel would have to be on board too.

Comment

• almitysufx
            Persistent Member
            • May 27, 2004

Does anyone believe that doc hasn't tried talking with Hasbro? I have to think as dedicated as he is to getting 8"figures out, he has made or is making every atempt to get a Marvel line going as well. There may be conflicts due to the Mattel deal but if it can be done I think doc will have a hand in it.
            Go Doc!

Comment

• MightyMegs
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 5, 2009

Originally posted by almitysufx
              Does anyone believe that doc hasn't tried talking with Hasbro? I have to think as dedicated as he is to getting 8"figures out, he has made or is making every atempt to get a Marvel line going as well. There may be conflicts due to the Mattel deal but if it can be done I think doc will have a hand in it.
              Go Doc!
              Yeah, I don't think Doc believes in a no-win senario.

Comment

• SciFiGuyLA
                Museum Patron
                • Feb 11, 2009

Originally posted by MightyMegs
                Habro holds the master toy licence for Star Wars too... but 'sub-let'ed out the 12" portion to Sideshow.
                I don't think that's true. I think Sideshow has their own separate license. I think they got it because they market and sell their stuff as high-end collector's items, whereas Hasbro's license is a run-of-the-mill toy license. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works.

But I think you guys are missing a huge potential piece of the puzzle. You see, Hasbro isn't the only company that makes Marvel action figures. Another company by the name of Diamond Select also has their own line of Marvel figures. You guys remember Diamond Select, right? The same company that holds a Star Trek license, and contracted EMCE to make the Mego repros? Yeah, THOSE guys.

Now, I don't begin to understand how both Hasbro AND Diamond Select can both hold Marvel toy licenses simultaneously, but that's the way it is. Also, keep in mind that Diamond is not the only company holding a Star Trek toy license either. So, it seems to me like the most likely scenario under which we can get Marvel Mego repros is if Diamond does a deal with EMCE similar to the one they did for Trek and Apes.

Comment

• megocrazy
                  Museum Trouble Maker
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by SciFiGuyLA
                  Now, I don't begin to understand how both Hasbro AND Diamond Select can both hold Marvel toy licenses simultaneously
                  With the emergence of different scale figures in the past 20 years, they break it down. 3 3/4 inch molded, 12 inch, 8 inch, etc. I would think the Marvel license would start in the 6 figure range knowing what a standard license sells for and I doubt even DS has that kinda change to risk. The only way these would materialize would be with Hasbro in the mix. They're not gonna give up rights especially if Mattel makes a splash with their figures. I would think Mattel's success will dictate the immediate future. Only time will tell.
                  It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• MightyMegs
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 5, 2009

I don't think that's true. I think Sideshow has their own separate license. I think they got it because they market and sell their stuff as high-end collector's items, whereas Hasbro's license is a run-of-the-mill toy license. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works.

But I think you guys are missing a huge potential piece of the puzzle. You see, Hasbro isn't the only company that makes Marvel action figures. Another company by the name of Diamond Select also has their own line of Marvel figures. You guys remember Diamond Select, right? The same company that holds a Star Trek license, and contracted EMCE to make the Mego repros? Yeah, THOSE guys.

Now, I don't begin to understand how both Hasbro AND Diamond Select can both hold Marvel toy licenses simultaneously, but that's the way it is. Also, keep in mind that Diamond is not the only company holding a Star Trek toy license either. So, it seems to me like the most likely scenario under which we can get Marvel Mego repros is if Diamond does a deal with EMCE similar to the one they did for Trek and Apes.
                    Yeah, it's true. Hasbro talks about it openly in their monthy Star Wars Q&A's...

Comment

• SciFiGuyLA
                      Museum Patron
                      • Feb 11, 2009

Originally posted by MightyMegs
                      Yeah, it's true. Hasbro talks about it openly in their monthy Star Wars Q&A's...
                      Interesting...

Man, this business of licensing is a mind-binder! Makes me glad I don't have to sail those murky waters.

Comment

• SciFiGuyLA
                        Museum Patron
                        • Feb 11, 2009

Originally posted by megocrazy
                        With the emergence of different scale figures in the past 20 years, they break it down. 3 3/4 inch molded, 12 inch, 8 inch, etc. I would think the Marvel license would start in the 6 figure range knowing what a standard license sells for and I doubt even DS has that kinda change to risk. The only way these would materialize would be with Hasbro in the mix. They're not gonna give up rights especially if Mattel makes a splash with their figures. I would think Mattel's success will dictate the immediate future. Only time will tell.
                        Well, if the licenses really are broken down by scale and type, Hasbro may not have those rights to give up.

Either way, if it comes down Hasbro's way or the highway, I fear it will be the highway. Their efforts to mount a 9" line went the way of the dodo. Yeah, yeah, I know Mego repros are a very different animal than what they were doing with their 9" figures, but the brass at Hasbro might not see the difference.

But who knows? Maybe Doc will have a big surprise for us at Toy Fare in February. I think it's a safe bet that if there's a way to make it happen, the esteemed Doctor will find it!

Comment

• geoffdude
                          Banned
                          • Apr 18, 2009

Well, if the licenses really are broken down by scale and type, Hasbro may not have those rights to give up.

Either way, if it comes down Hasbro's way or the highway, I fear it will be the highway. Their efforts to mount a 9" line went the way of the dodo. Yeah, yeah, I know Mego repros are a very different animal than what they were doing with their 9" figures, but the brass at Hasbro might not see the difference.

But who knows? Maybe Doc will have a big surprise for us at Toy Fare in February. I think it's a safe bet that if there's a way to make it happen, the esteemed Doctor will find it!
                          MEGO and Marvel, talked about before.. here.

Awesome if possible, but not gonna happen.

Comment

• trekman101
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 6, 2009

If it could happen.....it would definitely have to include marvel wanting it to happen.
                            "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• geoffdude
                              Banned
                              • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by trekman101
                              If it could happen.....it would definitely have to include marvel wanting it to happen.
                              Goes without saying, couldn't ever be done otherwise (though really Disney wanting it to happen now).

Also, Marvel really doesn't want to do anything in partnership with DC. So aligning under a MEGO line of Hero/DC figures, in conjuction even, wouldn't be appealing to Marvel at all.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎