X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Mattel WGSH backer cards

Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jul 27, '09, 8:35 AM.
  • SciFiGuyLA
    Museum Patron
    • Feb 11, 2009

Personally, I really like the idea of the weathered cards. I think it's a cool idea and I can't wait to see them. I just hope the new WGSH will be in re-closable clamshells so I don't have to destroy the card to remove the figures from their plastic prisons.

Comment

• SciFiGuyLA
      Museum Patron
      • Feb 11, 2009

UPDATE 7/27: So, since Lonnie decided to delete all his posts in this thread, my reply to his response now makes no sense. He suggested that Mattel would used sealed bubbles on backer cards as a means of getting collectors to buy 2 of every figure. One to open and one to collect. Hence, my reply below.

Well then, destroy the card I will, for I only buy one of any figure. I refuse to get caught up in all those collectors shenanigans!
      Last edited by SciFiGuyLA; Jul 27, '09, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I like the idea of the faked shelf wear. Imagine in 20 years guys trying to hunt down mint condition cards.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
          Stuck in a laundry shoot.
          • Oct 8, 2007

I got the impression they would be printed with a weathered look, not actually be all weathered and beat up. Maybe I'm wrong.
          "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• loosiegoosie
            Banned
            • Jul 3, 2009

Maybe somone wise on these matters can explain why several people are already complaining about the NEW line. For years , I and I am sure many collectors would have donated kidneys for truly NEW ( all be it retro) WGSH figures to be produced.
            The weathered " looking " cards is I think what was said. Next someone will be complaining that they won't be available in Boxes AND cardbacks. Just be happy they are being produced by Mattel who will mass distribute them so you don't have to go to some little comic shop and buy an exculsive figure that is limited to 50 produced.
            Lonnie , I think if someone " Gave " you a complete collection of WGSH figures that where unpunched and mint , you would complain about having to pay shipping.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

^^^^ lol.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                • Oct 8, 2007

I personally don't care if they pack them in a diaper, as long as the figure is cool.
                Welcome back and bring on the new figs. Yeah.....
                "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• megocrazy
                  Museum Trouble Maker
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by loosiegoosie
                  Maybe someone wise on these matters can explain why several people are already complaining about the NEW line.
                  It's simple. You will never please everyone. Somebody will always complain about something. If they went back in time to 1970 they would be writing Mego and complaining about the proposed WGSH figures they now have in their collection. There are something like 500-600 active members here. To think Mattel is going to change an idea developed by their marketing department because a couple of hundred people say so is ludicrous. I'm not saying they don't consider collector input but to think they would change the line concept at this point based on what is probably no more than 10% of the initial run at best is simply ridiculous. Here's how it sits. You will not see Marvel any time soon. They are two separate licenses. Very expensive licenses. That's why companies like Mattel and Hasbro are the ones that can afford them. Mattel saw the light and got in. Would Doc have liked to have paid the license fees for DC and Marvel, and made them under the Mego header? Yes. but the reality is you need major production capabilities and capital like a Mattel has to pull this off. By actual definition they are mego-like, but as close as I expect we will see. Mattel has seen an advantage to staying fairly true to the original designs as a marketing tool and they may not be exact but they aren't Famous Covers so we win there. Quite simply Doc was trying to stay true to the original design when he designed his bodies, but the technology has improved since the 70's and Mattel while staying true to the size and scale, I'm sure will alter some stuff to designs that they feel are either more durable or better designed for play ability. Or cheaper to produce. Expect it because it will probably happen. they have people that do this every day and have extensive research that tells them what designs work best. While EMCE is the consultant Mattel still makes the final decision. Based on the figures we have seen so far they are obviously willing to stay fairly true to original scale at least and have listened closely to EMCE's suggestions. We will have to see with everything else. One thing I can speculate on is with the success that the Trek line had on a small scale and the inclusion of a major player like Mattel, if these heroes are successful, I can see other smaller companies producing in this scale and could also see Mattel using this style on other lines they obtain in the future. Same body in different lines, the same way mego did, creating a new generation of "Mego" collectors 20-30 years down the line. Fortunately we are getting the chance to see it up close and personal. So accept those things you can not change and enjoy the toy bounty you are about to receive.
                  It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

Tho I don't feel as strongly about it, I do agree with Lonnie and Ben about the pre-aged cardback design.

I understand the philosophy about selling a retro item and trying to appeal in that general vein, but don't really see a benefit in making something look preused and faded. I would prefer to see bold and eyepopping cards that compliment the simple color schemes used in the figures' costumes. I think that gives me the 'innocent' mego feel and places the cards and items in historical context.

I don't really see this as a complaint, either. I think we have a golden opportunity here to voice some thoughts and opinions about a line that is dear to us. Not everyone will be pleased 100% with anything, but that does not mean one has to sit quietly and let things lay. Hasbro has a very good relationship with the Rebelscum toysite and fans there chime in on decisions regarding character selection amongst other things. That is healthy for the toyline and can help to keep pegwarmers to a minimum. I am sure Mattel wants these to sell, and we are the target audience.

True negativity would be waiting for the line to come out and THEN bashing it rather than offering constructive criticism as the design progresses.

That being said, the cardback design will be a small factor in my purchasing decisions. These will be opened and played with by my kids. I couldn't ask for better timing as they are in the prime of exploring their massively active imaginations and they are facinated by papas toys. This is an unbeatable bonding/play experience and I am looking forward to it no matter what it is wrapped in.

Comment

• 60'schild
                      Silver Haired Silver Ager
                      • Mar 27, 2009

Well said, Megocrazy!

I would love to see Mattel utilize its newly designed body for other properties. Hmm .. aside from DC superheroes, Mattel currently has the rights to He Man. It also can easily do something with Major Matt Mason (with cloth suits!), and Max Steel (a few Adventure Team or High tech spy candidate??) off the top of my head...

Possibilities .... The 2nd Age of Mego continues !! LOL !

Comment

• boss
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 18, 2003

Whatever they do is fine with me.
                        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• txteach
                          Banned
                          • Jun 17, 2005

I think it would be very arrogant on our part to try and dictate what mattel or any other toy company should do.

Comment

• Captain
                            Fighting the good fight!
                            • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by txteach
                            I think it would be very arrogant on our part to try and dictate what mattel or any other toy company should do.
                            Amen.

Paul and crew bucked the impossible...not just once, but three times now. Trek and Apes were cool, but this feat is nearly as difficult as landing a man on the moon via the use of a sweatsock and a couple of rubber bands. I see no point in nitpicking a miracle. The WGSH are back, and I'm gratefull.
                            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• pmwasson
                              Maker
                              • Sep 12, 2007

I don't think there is any harm with people saying their preferences. I'm sure nothing is set in stone. I do believe Mattel has a wider perspective in marketing than a bunch of fanboys (and fangirls). Nobody is going to ignore constructive criticism, but we have to understand Mattel need to make a profit to continue the line. As for the packaging, it sounds pretty innovative to me. I think we should wait to see it before complaining. Who knows, they could even get some press out of "a toy company making new toys look old".

However, we should all do whatever we can to make this line successful. Give them away as Christmas presents to all the nieces and nephews! Donate them to toys for tots. Load up on figures for customizing. Speculate that 3 cases may be worth a lot in the future!

I want to line to go on and on and on ...
                              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎