Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDeRouen
    Author of Small Things
    • Jun 14, 2001

Well, it's just a matter of semantics, I guess. Whatever you want to call them, I'm glad new Mego-like figures are being made.
    --
    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

let's face it. Had Mego taken the Star Wars licens, it would have been 3.75 inch scale. The 8" inch scale we all love would still have been done. Yes, they may have still put out some product in that scale but George Lucas's whole point was smaller figures so more playsets and ships could be produced. EMCE is making Mego's in all but name. As Paul said, they got permission form Marty, they got the original artist to do the package art for the new figures. Whatever your preference, these are quality figures and they are also accesible enough for new generations to play with. My 7 year old asks me every day if he can play with my Mego's, or if I have an extra ape or Spock head. I will be giving him the first 6 Star Trek for Christmas and I am keying in family and friends to Doc Megos site to get him the rest. There was another thread recently where someone asked the question about what will kids of this generation have to be nostalgic about. A very good question, but my son as least will have Mego to be nostalgic about. How many other companies do you think little kids know by name?

Comment

• AAAAA
        Permanent Member
        • Oct 28, 2005

And the best part , Paul is making orginal figures along with the repros.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
          Removed.
          • Jun 14, 2008

Has anyone ever done an inflation-adjusted price comparison of the original Megos compared to the emces?
          I'm just curious because they seem a bit pricey.
          Depending on the figure & luck I can pick up vintage, really nice, complete megos anywhere from $5-$15 each almost any day and they will always increase in value. $25 seems a lot for a new toy to me. I would have no problem paying $15 for them.
          Rich

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Uhm... I'm paying $20.00 per figure and that's including shipping, so I have no problems there. You also have to realize these are not mass produced in retail outlets, so the production volume is considerably smaller. I think the prices are very good.

Comment

• fallensaviour
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
              Has anyone ever done an inflation-adjusted price comparison of the original Megos compared to the emces?
              I'm just curious because they seem a bit pricey.
              Depending on the figure & luck I can pick up vintage, really nice, complete megos anywhere from $5-$15 each almost any day and they will always increase in value. $25 seems a lot for a new toy to me. I would have no problem paying $15 for them.
              Rich
              Never thought about doing an inflation price comparison.I may be afraid to word might get out and figures could cost more...LOL
              I see your point though.I also find $25 starting to be a little pricey.Case in point Khan we all know his price not to me seems inflated but what ever.I understand=Lower the number of figures produced the higher the cost.
              I get most of my figures EMCE treks for $16.99.Which I find a fantastic price for the quality.Same with most other figs they are around $20 so that's cool with me.
              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 27, 2004

CPI Inflation Calculator

$3 in 1979 is about $9 today. So there you go.

Of course, besides just the price inflation you also have to consider the increased cost of materials and labor, as well as all the safety, regulations, and licensing fees which are a whole world different then they were in the 70's and 80's.

So $14.99 is in the ballpark.

This is a fun tool.
                Like M.A.S.K.?
                www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                  Removed.
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
                  CPI Inflation Calculator

Of course, besides just the price inflation you also have to consider the increased cost of materials and labor, as well as all the safety, regulations, and licensing fees which are a whole world different then they were in the 70's and 80's.

This is a fun tool.

Vindication!
                  I was right feeling about $15 would be what they should be. (To be honest my first impulse was to say $10 but I thought I'd get chewed out if I said that. LOL)
                  I understand supply/demand and production run affects the cost but if they were in the department stores they should be around $15 or less.
                  thanks,
                  Rich

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 27, 2004

I should probably add, that if Doc was doing the volume that Mego was doing in the day, he could probably get the prices down to ~ $10, I bet.
                    Like M.A.S.K.?
                    www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• megocrazy
                      Museum Trouble Maker
                      • Feb 18, 2007

Average median income comparison shows we are roughly making 4 times as much now than we were in roughly the middle of the Mego hey day. (1975) $11,800 (2007) $41,34. Figure most figures at this time were between $3 and $4, so $12 to $16 should be average which is not far off from where we are now with the new EMCE figures. Especially taking the new regulations and materials costs into account. I've paid between $18-$20 max for any of the new figures. The thing that gets me is knowing that EMCE is making much lower numbers than any of the major manufacturers, and obviously the big guys are using their own factories to produce their figures so their costs are much cheaper. Why are figures from them so high in price? The Signature Series figures were not unlike Mego figures but they originally retailed for $14.99 each. The Cyclops was oiginally $19.99 at Target though that price only lasted about 10 days before hitting $14.99 and $9.99 about 2 weeks after that. That cycle lasted about 10 weeks from $19.99 start to the $3.74 bottom clearance price hit. They sold out before hitting the Target 90% clearance price in this area. And with the Mr. Fantastic figure obviously falling apart as you take it out of the box as some have posted the quality control is not as tight either. Aside from the silver arm rankings and a lower button on Khan, the figures have been the same quality as any of the stuff were used to seeing from Doc and pretty much dead on to the prototypes we were shown. The Marvel Legends are pretty much just molded plastic pieces and those were $14.99 at WalMart when they first came out. No where near the cost of a clothed figure. Taking that into account, EMCE's prices are pretty much where Mego's probably were 30-35 years ago.
                      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• spotter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 6, 2008

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
                        CPI Inflation Calculator

This is a fun tool.
                        only problem with CPI is it excludes food and Fuel costs ( i know I work in Fincance) a better look is to compare the costs cars
                        Looking for t1 LIZARD

Comment

• beartex2000
                          For display only!!
                          • Jun 2, 2007

the best of both worlds!

perhaps a new wing should be opened ay this site..the EMCE Museum!!...i':m just saying.........

Comment

• roman
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jan 25, 2003

I think they're cool. They're Mego compatible and That's a great thing.
                            It seems that all of the new stuff and Robot Chicken has generated a new interest in the toys. I am sure if the economy wasn't in the toilet we'd see a better sales result, but who am I, Allen Greenspan?

Question though....

If looking at auctions on ebay, do you think folks are dumping the old figures in favor of the new one or do you think those who had Star Trek and Apes hidden for future sale are dumping them now in fear the old ones will be worth less? (not worthless)

Comment

• roman
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jan 25, 2003

lastly...

Sorry. While CTVT may not have done an great job nor picked excellent choices for licensing... I got to give them credit for the Munsters. Dammit, I love my Herman figure !

(who by the way needs a pair of trousers .. so if you got em?)

The quality could have been better of course but I thought the Munsters was genius. Of all the new issues I thought, OK this could have been done by Mego.

Comment

• Brue
                                User without title
                                • Sep 29, 2005

EMCE -better than spending $400 on mugato -not better than the hunt for vintage items at the best deal and the satisfaction in the kill.

CTVT better to have a character you don't care much about (eg Potsie) at 5 bucks than not at all.

it certainly can't be an instead of vintage. if so, why bother to get repros. isn't the purpose to fill in holes in a collection? get parts to make customs that go with the collection? etc.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎