How many POTA figures planned?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ROBE
    • Oct 21, 2008

I hope they are a success. Lets face it folks who doesn't want to see Taylor (please give him a weapon) and Nova figures.

As a kid I used the cavewoman figure as "Nova" replacement.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
      Removed.
      • Jun 14, 2008

Sounds to me like a sixth POTA movie needs to get made!
      (and yes, I know the 2001 movie is technically 6th but I mean a sequel to the original 5).

Rich

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
        Sounds to me like a sixth POTA movie needs to get made!
        (and yes, I know the 2001 movie is technically 6th but I mean a sequel to the original 5).
        That 2001 movie is NOT to be counted... Not only does it not have any connection to the other five (other than featuring talking apes), but it's not even on future Earth... They're connected in name only!

I agree with you you that a sequel to the original five is in good order, but I don't see that happening, as they shot down anything Peter Jackson had in mind (showing they have no love for classic APES)... Jackson (along with Mc Dowall) had intentions of throwing away BENEATH and starting a new franchise from the end of PLANET...

POTA 2001 hs no more in connection to the original series than 2001: A Space Odyssey does...
        Last edited by apes3978; Oct 26, '08, 6:39 PM.

Comment

• ROBE
          • Oct 21, 2008

Personally I only count Planet of the Apes. The problem was Heston didn't want to do a series, wanted to be killed off at the end of the sequel. Another reboot this time based more closely on the Heston movie with a lead who wants to do a series would be better than the Burton movie

Comment

• kryptosmaster
            Removed.
            • Jun 14, 2008

I thought the gorillas looked great in the 2001 POTA movie but the chimps were a big disappointment. They looked more like mutated humans. I agree the movie as a whole was a big disappointment to major fans of the original series (like me). I didn't like the cliffhanger end either. Too many unanswered questions.
            One problem (although not a huge one as time-travel can undo/change a lot of things easily) is that the 5 movies basically did a round-trip, 360 in regards to the storyline. Took us full circle.
            I think that as long as they improved the special effects (re: makeup) but didn't go so far as to make the apes so different as to be unrecognizable; a remake would be ok but most likely would never measure up to the original. A sequel/prequel of some sort or a concurrent storyline on another continent or area of the US (with another set of astronauts, similar to the POTA TV series) would be well-accepted by myself. Plus there are huge gaps/untold stories in between some of the movies. Like how the apes retrieved and launched the rocketship. They could make a Terminator-esque film where someone (apes perhaps?) go back in time to stop the creation of the alpha-omega bomb after finding some sort of reference to the destruction of the Earth in an archive of tapes of Cornelius & Zira. The possibilities are endless. Plus, since the ape actors wore heavy prosthetics, they could easily get new actors to do Roddy's & Kim's & maurice's parts as long as they sounded close enough vocally.
            Not getting my hopes up but it's something I've always dreamed of.
            Rich

Comment

• drakghoulie
              • Feb 20, 2008

there was a comic book series called revolution on the planet of the apes that picks up shortly after conquest and well before battle. Caesar of course was the central character. A planet of the apes film with similar or exact make up from the original films would be OK, as long as all the apes get the "good" make-up treatment. Great Effects of course would make a difference. The first two films created a mood and atmosphere that made you think of planet of the apes every time you saw a cornfield, forest or a concealed cave or dilapidated building. Yes, I spent a lot of time in grade school staring out the window. Annihilation of the planet of the apes, Invasion of the planet of the apes, you name it. A movie would definitely make the emce's sales of Ape figures go up. It would just be pretty cool too.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

I will certainly buy this new Apes line with hopes they continue with Urko/Ursus and many of the others. I agree that Star Trek has a much different marketing advantage with a new movie coming out, but I think Apes can make the same dent in the figure market as well if sales are positive. I can't honestly see why they wouldn't. For all relevant purposes it is a "Mego" and as long as the execution matches that of the Star Trek Line, I think you'll have your target market in line to buy them right next to the Trek figures. I really am crossing my fingers for another new Urko/Ursus figure though.

Comment

• The Sentry
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 3, 2007

I know one thing, I want more astronauts, with optional loin cloths! I would love a Nova too! Human Mutants, 1974 Corny and Zira (Like the ones I have seen here!) A Caesar, whoa, gettin ahead of myself here! I will totally buy them all. I just can't believe that they are coming again! POTA was another Mego love for me in the worst way!
                  sigpic
                  http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                  [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                    Removed.
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by The Sentry
                    I know one thing, I want more astronauts, with optional loin cloths! I would love a Nova too! Human Mutants, 1974 Corny and Zira (Like the ones I have seen here!) A Caesar, whoa, gettin ahead of myself here! I will totally buy them all. I just can't believe that they are coming again! POTA was another Mego love for me in the worst way!
                    You know, seeing how Mego just slapped a new name on the box and called Cornelius, Galen; I'm surprised they didn't just take some AJ jumpsuits of red & green and make Caesar & gorilla figures from Conquest. Maybe if there was a 3rd wave planned that might have been a possibility?

Rich

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Excellent assessment Rich. I agree. I think that would have been a logical direction to go. I like that idea! Now, where is my spare astro suit...hmmmmm.

Comment

• drmego
                        EMCE Toys
                        • Jun 15, 2001

DST was only interested in making Cornelius, S.Ape, Zaius, and Zira after Fox
                        shot down characters from the TV show and sequels.

Sales were not great on the four - and given the economy lately - I doubt many
                        retailers will be interested in additional figures of minor characters from the
                        first film.

I believe in Apes - and hopefully one day the franchise will be respected.

Here are some pictures of the actual production samples:

http://www.megoman.com/pics/apeproductionsamples.jpg
                        www.drmego.com
                        www.megoman.com
                        www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• censy
                          thread killer
                          • Sep 26, 2007

the harsh reality

Thanks for the info Doc and the pic. It is disappointing to hear, since its my favorite line and I was dreaming of new mego-like apes. I guess Star Trek has more of a built-in fan base.

At least we are getting four of the originals re-done. Thank you for that.

Chris

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Bummer. Well I'll be there to get these four and hopefully the tide will change direction one day for additional characters. Anything is possible. Afterall did any of us see this ape line coming a couple of years ago? I sure didn't, so there is always hope for more.

Comment

• drakghoulie
                              • Feb 20, 2008

It would have at least been nice, getting urko and ursus again.

Comment

• SoulSinger
                                Singer Of Mego Love
                                • Oct 22, 2007

Do you think Charlton Heston's estate would allow a license for Taylor?

Bob
                                Last edited by SoulSinger; Oct 28, '08, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎