Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Y'know, I liked the original Gorn: the problem was not that the figure was "crappy'", but that it was so obviously a Klingon uniform.

Ignore the gold pips, and see the brown knit as skin and the vinyl tunic as the singlet. Not that far from the show, certainly not as much as the Talos, Cheron, or esp. Mugatu.

And try dressing a Gorn in a Ursus suit--pretty nice!

Regarding WGSH sculpts: No, molded Batman and Cap A aren't perfect, but they aren't truly terrible---not any more so than other somewhat bland early sculpts. Could Batman be more like Neal Adam's art? Maybe, but, Superman could also look more like Curt Swan's, and few collector's critique it. I'm a big Aquaman fan, and look how he fared! lol. They all have their charm, as is.
    Cap's biggest problem is the deco, not the sculpt--many upgraded custom Caps here on the forum illustrate that.

I'll take classic Mego sculpts any day over yelling/constipated FC faces.

Some of the later 12" Mego sculpts were really nice: magnetic Batman, Cap, Hulk. Maybe "shrinks" of these could be included with repros as alternate heads, or varients. Still retro, still Mego.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Action Martin
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 30, 2007

I always liked the Batman and Captain America head sculpts. Although Cap's eyes were a little odd to me.
      Scott

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

The RC Batman was always My favorite WGSH...1st Mego I ever bought(with Robin at the same time).
        sigpic

Comment

• drakghoulie
          • Feb 20, 2008

the robin head sculpt is pretty good, but not 60's or 70's bat man was more of a different colored tame 60's cowl. one done in the style of keeping with the robin would be ok, I think the removeable cowl would be a cool way to go, it was always my favorite between the two, more versatile. Superman was supposed to, I guess,
          be a re-use of the don head. but superman in the mid- 70's was sporting the longer hair look. so I guess If you want to re-do them you should at least (like the gorn) keep it re-lated to the original material and times. "The 70's" even though the real gorn was a 60's character. Remember the slurpee cups from back then, now they were cool. the way the ff looked in FF 186. or the avengers in 161. All 70's and all cool. Now if they looked like that I'd say ok, that's mego era, cause that's what was out then in the comics. But I still like the originals.

Comment

• dumbldor
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 9, 2002

I would like well-marked but otherwise exact replicas so my son has some WGSH 'Megos' to play with.

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by dumbldor
              I would like well-marked but otherwise exact replicas so my son has some WGSH 'Megos' to play with.
              Are you saying you'd actually buy repros? Wow, didn't expect that from you
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Yeah....aren't You the "Anti-Repro" Guy Dan!??
                sigpic

Comment

• megocrazy
                  Museum Trouble Maker
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Dan Baby!! I knew you would eventually come over to the dark side. I fell outta my chair though when I read this. I was in a La-Z-Boy recliner and went poof right on the floor. not an easy task. I agree the WGSH even the common ones would be nice for kids today. Maybe a new head sculpt, like a more modern hair style for Supes or maybe a George Reeves head. Long eared Bats. maybe a darker blue, or a black front like the Superfriends Batman with the blue shorts vs. the black ones. Aquaman with a beard or long hair, etc.
                  It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 27, 2004

The challenge for someone like Paul to do a new WGSH line is that in everyone's mind, they would want something different.

If he did exact repros, people's reactions would be binary: they like it, or don't like it.

If he changes things - you get into SO much subjectivity about what people want and would like. How do you still keep it "mego-esque" and modernize at the same time? What do you keep original or update? Which version of the character?

It's such a delicate balance and I think he really nailed it with Sulu and Chekov, and Gorn. But really, there wasn't much to screw up - he had a great scuplter and you couldn't really make the Gorn any worse, could you? - yet still there is fair amount of controversy over the body type!

I would love to see a Superman like the one pictured, done China made. But that fits into my likes - I wouldn't want the Spiderman or the Batman done that way. Others may want something different. I think it would be much safer to just do exact repros for poor Paul!
                    Like M.A.S.K.?
                    www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• NewForce
                      Persistent Member
                      • Apr 5, 2008

just do what I do and buy him originals, then he can play with them now

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

I used a mixture of repro parts and original parts where needed to make my son a bunch of WGSH. Also made him a bunch of customs, ie Flash, GL, Bizzaro

Comment

• SoulSinger
                          Singer Of Mego Love
                          • Oct 22, 2007

Well, there are no "exact" replicas anyway. I've never seen a replica T1 body, for example. Doc's bodies are doc's bodies. The stamp on the neck also gives a clue. They look similar, but not exact.

Bob

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by SoulSinger
                            Well, there are no "exact" replicas anyway. I've never seen a replica T1 body, for example. Doc's bodies are doc's bodies. The stamp on the neck also gives a clue. They look similar, but not exact.

Bob

I think You're taking My "exact" statement a little to literally. Of course they wouldn't be exact...but My main interest is, would there be NEW Head Sculpts...or Reproduction of the Originals?
                            sigpic

Comment

• SoulSinger
                              Singer Of Mego Love
                              • Oct 22, 2007

Originally posted by The Bat
                              I think You're taking My "exact" statement a little to literally. Of course they wouldn't be exact...but My main interest is, would there be NEW Head Sculpts...or Reproduction of the Originals?
                              Yeah, I figured Bats. It's just that I run into so many people worried that their originals will be devalued somehow. A guy at a flea market wanted $300 for a RM robin head with paint rubs, for example. He flipped when I told him there was a repro head I could get. Have EMCE Romulans really devalued the originals nowadays? Just curious. Anyway, I hope most are repros of the originals.

Bob

Comment

• nordox
                                • Dec 22, 2007

More than just the Action Figures

To me the shifting in design is much more than just the Megos. The same way the modern Batman movies try and avoid things like Robin. Also, many of modern comics books only bare a glancing connection to the comic industry as it was when Mego first got the rights to produce these characters.

I for one enjoy balance Mego had between being the solution for super hero toys, but not insultingly for kids like the modern "Superfriends" toy line, but yes if you look into those toys there is a bit of mego in them.

That being said, I really believe that the Mini-mates have carved the way for the kind of direction modern mego could go...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎