X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
    My Toys R Us sells the Diamond Trek line and Battlestar Galactica. I find it strange they don't carry EMCE, even in small quantities. I'd probably end up buying it there just because I can.
    That's odd, why would Diamond distribute to TRU in Canada and not the US? It's gotta be a supply issue or a test market deal or something. Maybe since there's less stores in Canada they have enough supply to keep them stocked for a period of time, or maybe they don't have enough distribution sources up north so TRU is possible without ticking off too many of the comic shops that normally carry the Diamond products. I've never seen any Diamond stuff in a TRU near me. As for the DC Direct stuff showing up at KB, it's probably a matter of it over producing and needing to be cleared out. KB is still one of the biggest sources for that. It's also one thing Doc has always said you would never see was EMCE stuff being discounted and clearanced out. When something is mass produced, ya gotta do something with it when it doesn't sell. I'm sure the DC Direct stuff was produced in pretty big numbers. If this is the case then I guess it's good it's not showing up. It would mean all of the EMCE runs are being taken by the comic shops and being sold and reordered and there has been no need to use a larger retail seller.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

^^^ TRU Canada, while owned and operated by TRU US, has its own buying department. Which is why we dont always get the same items you folks do..and vice versa.
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by Commander
        What's a "Box Store" stands for? What's it look like? Just curious.
        Hey Pat,

The term "box store" is used to refer to large store chains (Wal Mart, Toys R US, K-Mart, etc.) that have the ability to order stock in large quantities, and thus sell it at a lower rate than small independant stores...Kind of like collectors who buy items by the case, instead of one or two figures.

Hope that makes sense?

Comment

• Mr Mego
          Love to play with Megos
          • Oct 19, 2003

Yep, you're right that make sense and thanks for let me know about that. I'll ask the Comic shop employee to give me empty EMCE boxes with that package name & item numbers on it, I would like to collect empty EMCE boxes is for display in my EMCE figures collection next to vintage Megos collection.
          Last edited by Mr Mego; Sep 24, '08, 7:07 PM.
          Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• spotter
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 6, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
            Well if the Dc Direct stuff can pop up at KBs,why not EMCE stuff?
            I would assume that the DC direct stuff that showed up at KB (as well as 5 below) were closeouts. Both stores use closeout purchases as a staple of their business model. the sets

I was an asst manager at a KB in the early 90's and we would get tons of Toy Biz marvel heroes's on "KB only" cards 3 for $10 OR 4 for $10 a year or 2 after the lines had hit standard retail.
            Looking for t1 LIZARD

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

My fellow Canucks....

If you do want EMCE figures to pop up at your local Toys R Us, you can always pester the buyers. I've done this a couple times now...If a few more chimed in, it might tip the scales....just dont tell them who gave out their phone number!!

Phone: 905-660-2000

This puts you in touch with the marketing department.

Comment

• GreenLantern9999
                GL of Mego Sector
                • Oct 8, 2007

DC Direct is sold at my local TRU here in the states but no EMCE just some stuff from Diamond Distributions
                No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• drakghoulie
                  • Feb 20, 2008

It's odd really I think kids today might want to buy this stuff, (well get mom and dad to buy it) at say a wal-mart or toy's 'r' us. What did it take for us to want this stuff?. Really a superfriends and star trek and a star trek cartoon and advertisements on TV. oh, yea, and the comic books were around then too. (at least to passively promote the WGSH)
                  I know that's not in the budget right now but, If you put out something cool with some recognition attatched to it kids are gonna want it. I always did. However, this has to be a slow thing, no in over their heads until they know this bigger market is there and eager to buy. It's growing though, I see it and can feel it. Hopefully some day marvel and dc will have a ceo that goes hey, Mego's! isn't EMCE doing that? get them on the phone, there's money to be made from young and old alike.
                  Two or three years ago we never would have thought we'd have seen it where it is now. No way!, never happen it'll never work! would have been the answer. Let alone the Enterprise bridge! EMCE has come pretty far. So who knows?, who knows?
                  Last edited by drakghoulie; Sep 27, '08, 1:51 AM.

Comment

• LadyZod
                    Superman's Gal Pal
                    • Jan 27, 2007

I would think that since EMCE produces the items for the company (Diamond) that holds the license, it would all depend on the license holder in regards to what gets made and where it sells.

If Diamond's license with Paramount would only permit them to sell on the "Direct" market (which only includes specialty stores) then that would explain little or no visibility in the mass market (big box stores). A loophole may exist in "clearance" and "close outs" where Diamond would dump it's NON-Selling stock to KB, TRU, or Big Lots.

Now, I don't know what Diamond's licensing structure is. They MAY have rights to sell their wares across the board. If that is the case, there may be another reason why.

For example, I know certain TRU in the US are part of a "testing ground" or sorts for new products. They get stuff others do not, in order to test the marketplace and see if it's something that can sell at their stores. They do that in a few Miami TRU with Dr Who products and Crazy Bones (both from UK companies.)
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                    Check out my art:
                    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎