X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seeker
    Neptunians RULE!
    • Feb 20, 2008

Originally posted by Tothiro
    Yeah. He's the Mr. Mxyzptlk of the Trek universe.
    Boy that sucks. But which begs the question Who are the Mxyzptlks of the POTAs, Monsters, Etc universes???
    Lo there do I see my Father.
    Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
    Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
    Lo they do call me.
    They bid me take my place among them.
    In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Seeker
      Boy that sucks. But which begs the question Who are the Mxyzptlks of the POTAs, Monsters, Etc universes???
      There is no Mxyzptlk in the APES universe, unless you want to say The Astronaut because of his downright genericness...

MONSTERS: I'd vote for the Wolfman, only because of his far off removal from the actual film Wolfman... I know, it was all due to licensing, but still, they coulda tried to make him a little more like Lon and less like the Wolfman from the cereal box (I cannot think of the fourth "Monsters" cereal: Frankenberry, Count Chocula, Booberry and what's the fourth...)

Comment

• drakghoulie
        • Feb 20, 2008

fruit brute (the werewolf) was replaced by yummy mummy which was also discontinued.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

The Waltons is a whole line of Mxy's.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by drakghoulie
            fruit brute (the werewolf) .
            Yeah, that's the one...

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

The "new" Trek film will be risky for any toy company. Trek is in ad shape and even the public at large may not welcome new actors in the classic series roles.

In Playmates case they could hedge their bets by re-using existing, classic series, figure molds they have and add new heads for the new actors. It depends on how different the "new" classic uniforms are from the originals.

Comment

• Captain
                Fighting the good fight!
                • Jun 17, 2001

From those few that actually saw the prototypes, I have heard the crew figures shown re-used existing bodys --and in the case of 9"--costumes. Only the Romulans and Old Spock were all new...although I'm betting they reused the Unification Spock head.

I'm sure they will re-use whatever they can. The 3 3/4" inch line (which has the most appeal for me) will of course be all new.

The new costumes (at least the tunics) have been shown in the poster released for comic con. Very similar to the old from a distance. The black undershirt now also makes up the black collar, and the colored division portion goes over it, with a v-neck to approximate the original series collar look. If you look close, the weave of the colored tunic is made up of little bitty Trek emblems as well.....which I think means the movie eschews the classic Trek custom of each ship having its own emblem...?
                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Well that stinks. Those Playmates bodies were horrid. About the same as the Exclusive Premiere ones.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

No argument there sir! I remember being downright giddy when Playmates announced 8" Megoesque Trek figures....then being downright frustrated when I got my mitts on one and saw they were NOT 8", and...well...crap. Compared to the allmighty Mego anyways.

I keep hoping the sucess of EMCE's stuff inspires them to fix the bodies a bit....or partner with EMCE before they officially launch the line.
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

I never minded Playmates 9" figures.

You can pose them in almost any position, and if you throw them off the Empire State Building, they still wouldn't break.

I just hate their GIANT SIZE hands.
                      The hands make them look stupid.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎