Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The old Diamond Select Retro figures....not as great out of the boxes...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

The old Diamond Select Retro figures....not as great out of the boxes...

So...a while back, I managed to pick up 3 sets in box...

They are gorgeous in box...very colorful packaging, pretty to display...

I got Wolverine, DD, and the exclusive Cap.

Opened Wolverine today, and man....what a mess...I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the choices they made piecing this set together...
    the awful mask, the giant boots, and gloves...the brown costume being too orange...the only normal hands being only for the brown costume...

I figured maybe the civilian outfit might be ok, nah...his jacket is too tight, completely stiff so as to not be able to move the arms much at all and the jeans are so tight they barely fit the figure.. and the SKIN COLOR! what the hell..

I'm thinking maybe these were not meant to be removed from the package? But the Spiderman set was great...

Sorry, rant over...
    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

I only dealt with the Spider-Man and Cap sets. Cap seemed to be pretty much issue free. Spider-Man had a minor issue with the comics accurate head being really small. To me anyway. Other than that is seemed fine.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
      I only dealt with the Spider-Man and Cap sets. Cap seemed to be pretty much issue free. Spider-Man had a minor issue with the comics accurate head being really small. To me anyway. Other than that is seemed fine.
      One thing I noticed about the updated Cap body suit, it that it doesn't really stretch. I had planned on trying to put it on a larger torso like a JAKKS WWE torso, but there is no way it would fit.

I ended up putting it on a type S body with upgraded arms for the added shoulder width.
      Wanted:

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
        Cap seemed to be pretty much issue free.
        I am glad you missed the blood spilled over that floppy star. OH...The Humanity, so many people's childhoods were ruined along with what I assume were multiple pairs of underpants.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

Yeah, the Famous Covers gloves and boots for Logan were noticeably big. Overall, though, the unmade figures like Wolvie and Daredevil did a decent job of approximating what Mego probably would have done (I went for the classic Mego look for mine, though I used an actual Mego body for each of the secret identity heads and outfits).

Comment

• KingKickass1983
            Career Member
            • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by palitoy
            I am glad you missed the blood spilled over that floppy star. OH...The Humanity, so many people's childhoods were ruined along with what I assume were multiple pairs of underpants.
            Ah, I'm not the only one who's kind of bugged by it than, lol.
            Wanted:

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

I took off the floppy star and added a sticker one.

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

Solid idea, but the execution didn't always work.

I loved the red suit Daredevil, but I had to do some slight modding to get it where I wanted it to be. Modern Cap looked like he was wearing a diaper, so I replaced the suit with a bleit1701 suit. I display the repro Thor and Spider-Man (please give us a non circle Spidey, Mego!) and the yellow suit Wolverine, which is eh. I might still have a Deadpool, but I sold most of that set (not a fan). Repro Cap had a weird cut and shiny suit.

The extra suits felt too small for any other body and the body that came with the set was a great body, but it seemed different than the Doc Mego body sold on his site, which did not feel as good as the DST body. But maybe that was just me.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 29, 2018

Ok true I did replace the Star. I had forgotten about that. And the suit is distinctly non stretchy. The army uniform was good tho

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
                    Ah, I'm not the only one who's kind of bugged by it than, lol.

It was not ideal and it bugged me too, but thanks to social media, it became this ridiculous special episode of "Facts of Life." I just glued the thing down and got on with my life.

Out of all of those sets, I kept the Modern Spider-Man and Cap, and made a TON of fun customs out of the other parts. I liked those sets, warts and all.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2019

It was not ideal and it bugged me too, but thanks to social media, it became this ridiculous special episode of "Facts of Life." I just glued the thing down and got on with my life.

Out of all of those sets, I kept the Modern Spider-Man and Cap, and made a TON of fun customs out of the other parts. I liked those sets, warts and all.
                      There certainly are some nice pieces in the sets. I am actually loving the Commander Rogers suit and accessories from the ThinkGeek exclusive

. I'm also glad to hear its not just me noticing the non stretchiness of the suits. As someone who primarily customize using the type S bodies, it was very obvious the fit would be tight.
                      Wanted:

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I adore the Daredevil head sculpt, it's the Mego Daredevil I'd always wanted in my childhood.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

If it was a sticker, people would have complained about the sticker falling off. This is the internet we are talking about.. people will *always* find something to complain about.

The sets weren't perfect (and they were admittedly pricey) but I am still very fond of them.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

Wolverine

Wendigo 05.jpgWendigo 08.jpgWendigo 03.jpg

I need to just order a custom head of Wolverine to redo these images (also I thought I went with the bigger Hulk?)
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• wise guy
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 29, 2014

The Daredevil set was pretty good but the others are a mess . I did'nt get Deadpool but his set looks pretty good too.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎