Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I think Farrow should be dropped a line on Facebook to see if he granted permission for CTVT to use his customs. CTVT has really walked a fine line in misleading the consumer with the KISS product. They used the original Mego KISS figures to advertise series one and still show them displayed in those concert shirts. That is not CTVT product. And I DOUBT the Dressed to Kill product will remotely look anywhere as good as Farrow's customs. That guy is the king of KISS figures. No one touches him.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I have a hard time considering giving CTVT any money after the Cast-A-Way deal, and if they did lift this customizers sculpts without permission...well...that's it for me. I hope someone finds this out soon.

Those cases are a nice idea, but CTVT's design work has been pretty bad from the get-go.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

Pretty interesting on those cases. I'll be interested to see if the artwork is loose under the vinyl...in which case a light touch with an exacto and a straight edge and it's an easy customization. If it's a sticker it's a slightly more expensive proposition, but not bad.

Graphic Design has always been their achilles heel. Ugh.
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• megoscott
          Founding Partner
          • Nov 17, 2006

I will also say I think it's really easy to over-estimate the appetite for a carrying case. For 99.9% of us it's a novelty and nothing more. We don't carry our Megos around, we display them on shelves or in packages. In which case, bad graphic design is a real problem on these.

I make carrying case playsets because I love them conceptually, but my son's is probably the only Dida that's actively utilized as a carrying case.
          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
            I think Farrow should be dropped a line on Facebook to see if he granted permission for CTVT to use his customs. CTVT has really walked a fine line in misleading the consumer with the KISS product. They used the original Mego KISS figures to advertise series one and still show them displayed in those concert shirts. That is not CTVT product. And I DOUBT the Dressed to Kill product will remotely look anywhere as good as Farrow's customs. That guy is the king of KISS figures. No one touches him.
            I don't think Farrow would have a leg to stand on if they used them without permission. Furthermore, if he came out from under the radar, he could find himself with a C&D. However I would be surprised if CTVT used his images without his permission considering all it would take is for CTVT to use their own existing sculpts.

Farrow gets a pretty good likeness on Kiss. It's not out of the question that he approached CTVT to sculpt for them.

But as far as carrying cases go, I would love to get some for storage, but I can't help but feel $40. is kind of pricey. Of course, if they were practically indestructible, I could change my mind....
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

Just want to make sure I was not misunderstood...I do not think the dressed to kill pic was taken from farrow...I cannot find any dressed to kill figures via google or his site that look exactly like these...well, they're very close, but the gene expression is definetely unique and in farrows style.
              Having that said, and farrows own comment on his Facebook page...well, I have this gut feeling that farrow was hired to do them for CTVT.
              As long as those dressed to kill head sculpts weren't acquired inappropriately, I'd buy the peter criss and ace Frehley heads to put on love gun outfits.
              We've all encountered how drmego must remain contractually quiet on new product....farrow probably cannot say either -unless it is his work being used inappropriately..then it will get nasty and disappointing.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by noelani72
                We've all encountered how drmego must remain contractually quiet on new product....farrow probably cannot say either -unless it is his work being used inappropriately..then it will get nasty and disappointing.
                True, I've signed a lot of non-disclosure forms as well. However now that the image is out there, it would probably be ok for him to say he worked on them if he chooses.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I've sent Farrow a note to clear this up. Now if he is, in fact, officially doing these with Dressed to Kill figures AND they get made well, I'll be looking at those seriously. But if they lifted these, it's an entirely different story.

Comment

• jackson5677
                    Banned
                    • Oct 19, 2008

Will we see short haired KISS figures.....THE ELDER ? ........or KISS without make up......LICK IT UP ?

Comment

• Wasimhosen
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 23, 2011

Originally posted by jackson5677
                      Will we see short haired KISS figures.....THE ELDER ? ........or KISS without make up......LICK IT UP ?

I doubt we'll see Lick it Up. I don't think Vinnie is on speaking terms with Gene and Paul. I think that's why we won't see Eric figures either. Vinnie owns the Ankh and Fox makeup.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎