• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tylerh
    Museum Patron
    • Sep 14, 2011

What is the thought on copyright "workarounds?"

Hi All

I notice a lot of the custom megos sort of have a "workaround" - especially the parts and pieces - Like a Fonzie will be "Cool 50s guy" or whatever -

For example - I am a huge fan of THE THING film (Carpenter version) - Would be cool to do a line where Macready was just "Mac" or "Pilot" haha

I just ask because I am a member of a few forums where even the slightest mention of doing that stuff gets you totally boo'ed -

Tyler
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

If it looks like Kurt Russell, his lawyers could go after you for likeness issues.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ddgaff1132
      Persistent Member
      • Oct 3, 2007

What about basing on the actual short story. "WHo Goes There." Wasnt that the name?
      Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
      MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• TrueDave
        Toy Maker
        • Jan 12, 2008

Megos were knock offs ( Action Jackson) to begin with so I think most museum members actually LOVE that kind of figure.
        Tomlands Star Raiders for example. Big $$$.

You can get one of a kind customs pretty easily I think. Boxes too. Customizers'll put whatever you want on them.

Maybe it's just "Publicly" you have to use made up names.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

It sounds like you are working legitimately in the industry... which impresses the heck out of me. I have absolutely no connections to the toy biz. But my guess is this sort of copyright workaround would be a good way to get yourself blacklisted.

Comment

• Megotu
            jerk
            • Dec 16, 2001

Didn't one of the big name 12" doll makers make unlicensed likenesses of Hanks as an Army Officer as well as Bruce Willis?
            sigpic

Comment

• tylerh
              Museum Patron
              • Sep 14, 2011

Hey Guys - HA - Ya .... How times change fast -
              when I posted this, I wasnt working "in the industry" yet, and now I am, so my potential bootleggin' figure days are over -

I really wanted to start a small toy production company and make limited runs of figures that "I" wanted, and was sure others would too - But now Im too busy with Job #1, and freelance sculpting to continue the quest - I got my headless horeseman head done with was fun - But thats it for now - Maybe Ill sculpt a few more heads for customs, or maybe one day one of the companies here will hire me to do a custom head for them, after I pay my dues a bit

Comment

• torgospizza
                Theocrat of Pan Tang
                • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by Megotu
                Didn't one of the big name 12" doll makers make unlicensed likenesses of Hanks as an Army Officer as well as Bruce Willis?
                DiD made Captain Miller, which blew me away. I wish I'd have gotten one when they first came out, because I think the price skyrocketed when they went out of production. There was also a pretty nice 1/6 figure of Damien Lewis' Major Winters from Band of Brothers called Major Richard, too (lots of pics and links on Google). Not sure about who made a Bruce Willis, but I've seen some really good ones from Asian eBay sellers.

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>Didn't one of the big name 12" doll makers make unlicensed likenesses of Hanks as an Army Officer as well as Bruce Willis?

Hmmmm.... one made a bunch of celebrity lookalikes.... was it Dragon?

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎