The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A poll: Who has done the better job with Mego-like heroes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

A poll: Who has done the better job with Mego-like heroes?

In this past decade Toybiz and Hasbro have taken their stab at recreating Mego's World's Greatest Superheroes. Who do you think has done a better job and why?

For myself I really liked the concept for the 'Famous Covers' line, but I thought the quality was really spotty at best, so ultimately I was disappointed. The figures were often proportioned incorrectly or had gloves or boots way too big for them. The head sculpts were also touch and go and the outfits were cheaply made. From a quality perspective I think Hasbro has done a better job. Both with the DC characters several years back and most recently with the Origin's lineup. I also agreed with their slogan: "Perfect for display, but built for play." In other words they were made well and that has held true.

A complaint I have with both companies is their seeming inability to get all of the Fantastic Four team assembled. Toybiz only put out Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman while Hasbro is currently planning a release of just Mr. Fantastic and the Human Torch. Why even bother putting any out if your not going to cover all four members? Very strange marketing from my perspective.
    Hasbro does a better job
    0%
    No way, I love my Famous Covers Aunt May!
    0%
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

For me, Hasbro hands down although their figures have issues, they have less issues than the Famous Covers. Plus they did DC and Marvel, that alone rocks.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Hasbro for me as well,not that Famous covers were bad at all,but I just like what hasbro has done
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hulk
        Mayor of Megoville
        • May 10, 2003

Hasbro sucks a bit less

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

I haven't been pleased with either. but of the 2 I think hasbro did/is doing a better job. The reasin toybiz lost out was their quality. in every toy line they marketed thier construction techniques were low end (rivets). it's a shame thier sculpting wasn't bad just not great,

hasbro's biggest drawback was commitment. in general they only gave thier batman lines any real focus and that was only when the movies were coming out. to them the dc characters were a secondary license for action figures once GIJOE was back in production and the transformers never went away

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by MIB41
            Who do you think has done a better job and why?
            Many customizers here on the Mego Museum have done a better job doing not only "Mego-like" heroes, but "Mego-like" figures of all styles. They know what it takes to make a decent looking figure...

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

You know my thoughts.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Sentry
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 3, 2007

If I had to choose, I would go for Toy Biz simply becuase they did a F.C. version of the Hulk that was rather cool! I would say Hasbro but they have failed to make a Hulk in that new series, and we all know my creed, "If they make a Hulk I'll get it, if they don't I don't even bother!" But nothing holds a candle to Mego for me. Geez, I've almost stopped collecting everything else thanks to Megomeet and this forum, Megos were the defining toy for me as a child so I stay where my heart is. Plain and simple!
                sigpic
                http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

That's a no-brainer: Hasbro is Mego while FC is CTVT
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Hasbro hands down. As Brian, said they made both DC and Marvel, but the FCs screaming pinheads are just ridiculous looking, esp. now. It's like almost-Mego-sized Total Justice. Prime example of 90s over-exaggerated toy roid-rage. Some of the later releases are nices, but the faces on the early ones (just what kind of emotion is the FC Peter Parker head supposed to represent?) are pretty awful.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

I never cared for, nor got into, the Famous Covers. They all look p.o.'ed to me. The Hasbro DC figures were truer to the comic characters IMO.
                      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• DocDrako
                        Formerly Doc Drako
                        • Nov 11, 2004

You know, I do love my Famous Covers Aunt May, but Hasbro wins hands down.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• jemboy2004
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 14, 2005

hasbro all the way. I actually like all the mego like figures from hasbro. Have not gotten them all but I might. The famous covers I got one and never cared for it and never got another one.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                            The DarkSide Customizer
                            • Apr 16, 2005

This is a very interesting topic for me. Although I do like the Build & look of Hasbro's characters Better, & the fact they did DC & Marvel , I'd have to say FC. FC made Female figures & Made the Hulk. They did screw us on the Thing as well as Head sculpts, however their respective line had Alot More characters.
                            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• garagesale
                              Dept. of Mego Studies
                              • Aug 8, 2006

I have to tell you, I have the majority of all of these figures, and I've done a bit of repairing and customizing on all of them.

With a few exceptions (Mego Conan, FC Iron Man, and Hasbro Martain Manhunter), I'm not 100% pleased with any of Mego, FC, or Hasbro figure lines. I don't like Captain America, Aunt May, or the R/C Batman.

In fact, I love all these companies for what they have tried to do. They're all legitimate interpretations of the WGSHs. I do agree with some here that we got customizers who're outdoin' the pro-designers at the toy companies!

I lean toward the FC bodies's articulation, tho I prefer the Habro hands. But my favorite Mego-like line (and I know we're talkin' WGSH, not ST) is the PLAYMATES 9-INCH STAR TREK LINE. Though their bodies, esp. their hands and boots-molded-on feet, are not quite up to speed, the head sculpts are good and the costumes and accessories are excellent!

If I could get the quality of clothing/accessories/heads of Playmates combined with the bodies (and feet) of FC, topped off with Hasbro hands, done in 8-inch instead of 9-10 inch scale, then I'd have a line of WGSH that would totally rock!

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎