X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordiway
    Museum Super Collector
    • Aug 17, 2007

CTVT, Why don't they do kits?

Do they have to get a License for eveything they do? What if they started to do kits where you could build your own figure instead of figures in a package.

I mean do they really need a license for a head that looks similar to lets say Lee Majors?

Or what if they did Miami Cops instead of Miami Vice would they need a license for that?

I mean that could work for alot of stuff, Fall Man instead of Fall Guy or the B-Team or Moltron Team instead of Voltron Team.
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

I think they do need the licenses, or at least are concerned with possible litigation and want to avoid kicking the dog, so to speak. It really chapped my behind (not at CTVT) they couldn't get permission to make Koenig for Space: 1999. Doc sells a Koenig head, so I wonder if they could pull it off by calling it "The Captain" or something; however, holding that license will bring attention that might get it noticed, something Doc doesn't have to worry about as much.

At any rate, I'm with you. I wish they did, because I've never had anything but good experiences with their products.

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

That's a thin line you walk when you try to modify stuff ewnough to get around copyright. Garage kit guys do it all the time.... and usually get slapped for it. If you're a small company.... or a couple guys in the basement.... you don't have a major expenditure for your wares. CTVT would have to make steel molds; an expensive undertaking (especially since I've heard the profit on most toys is razor thin to begin with) so shutting down after a C&D would be costly and not worth the risk.

Don C.

Comment

• Spyweb007
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 18, 2006

If one planned them out very carefully, it would be possible to make kits of generic heroes which do not infringe on copyright, yet when mixed and matched with other kits can be used to make recognizable characters. After all, capes, body suits, boots and gloves are not specific to any one character untill combined in the corect color/combinations.

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

CTVT is pretty much out of the 8 inch figure game. The stuff they have is left over inventory or items they have from their wrestling figures, where accessories are often in scale.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Cast-A-Way has a rather clever promotion along these lines...
            Customizer Specials!
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• TrueDave
              Toy Maker
              • Jan 12, 2008

I think it would be best if an up an coming company bought them out.

Otherwise i like some of the characters theyve made up , a wolfman barbarian etc.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎