Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by toys2cool
    I'm pretty sure most of us understand it was never going to be anywhere near $50
    True that, never expected it to be $50 myself either. I'm just saying not too many people will pay $200 or more. If you can make it cheaper and loose a little of the details I think most people will go that way than shell out a lot of cash for a faithful repro
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• reevefan78
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by Meule
      True that, never expected it to be $50 myself either. I'm just saying not too many people will pay $200 or more. If you can make it cheaper and loose a little of the details I think most people will go that way than shell out a lot of cash for a faithful repro
      Our goal is to provide the highest quality repros at the lowest possible price point without giving these away and/or losing money in the process. We know times are tough (the current economic state of affairs has hit me too as well as my mold maker friend on this project).

Please know that we are not out to gouge anyone or create an inflated price that we ourselves would not be willing to spend for this repro Mego Shark. My hope is that everyone who decides to purchase one of these repros will be happy they did many times over. That is why we are strongly considering several versions of this shark so that those on a budget can still own one but just a more economic version of it. We have 3 versions in the planning stage as per my last post on this thread above.

We are however committed to creating the most faithful reproduction that has ever been done and will probably ever be done. I have one of the very best mold makers in the business and if anyone has any concern as to whether he can pull it off or not then all you need do is look at my Bruce the Shark NTT (Nose To Tail) Maquette that this mold maker has sculpted. Mine has been customized further with a "battle ravaged" appearance and it measures 37" long. It is JAWSTASTIC!!!

Thanks again to everyone who is posting a comment on this thread. We hope to make a lot of collectors happy with the repro shark who otherwise would never have an example of this AWESOME Mego shark due to the high price they command and the rarity of even finding one for their collection. Stay tuned.......much, much more to follow.

Here's my Bruce NTT (Nose To Tail) 37" long maquette created by my sculptor/mold maker friend:

Last edited by reevefan78; Oct 16, '10, 6:37 PM.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Nice shark, but the most important thing around here is PRICE ... even more important than quality.

This is a toy board, not a model board --- meaning most people around here aren't very particular to have the thing perfect.
        Last edited by Mikey; Oct 16, '10, 3:41 PM.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by reevefan78
          Our goal is to provide the highest quality repros at the lowest possible price point without giving these away and/or losing money in the process. We know times are tough (the current economic state of affairs has hit me too as well as my mold maker friend on this project).

Please know that we are not out to gouge anyone or create an inflated price that we ourselves would not be willing to spend for this repro Mego Shark. My hope is that everyone who decides to purchase one of these repros will be happy they did many times over. That is why we are strongly considering several versions of this shark so that those on a budget can still own one but just a more economic version of it. We have 3 versions in the planning stage as per my last post on this thread above.

We are however committed to creating the most faithful reproduction that has ever been done and will probably ever be done. I have one of the very best mold makers in the business and if anyone has any concern as to whether he can pull it off or not then all you need do is look at my Bruce the Shark NTT (Nose To Tail) Maquette that this mold maker has sculpted. Mine has been customized further with a "battle ravaged" appearance and it measures 37" long. It is JAWSTASTIC!!!

Thanks again to everyone who is posting a comment on this thread. We hope to make a lot of collectors happy with the repro shark who otherwise would never have an example of this AWESOME Mego shark due to the high price they command and the rarity of even finding one for their collection. Stay tuned.......much, much more to follow.

Here's my Bruce NTT (Nose To Tail) 37" long maquette created by my mold maker friend, Mike Schultz:

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/...op_posting.jpg
          Oh man, Lou is gonna crap his pants when he sees that shark
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• reevefan78
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey01
            Nice shark, but the most important thing around here is PRICE ... even more important than quality.

This is a toy board, not a model board --- meaning most people around here aren't very particular to have the thing perfect.
            Well you're speaking to a perfectionist here and I won't make anything that is sub-par.......what's the point, if it's worth doing at all it's worth doing well. Even if folks here don't wanna "bite" I'm sure we'll do well on Ebay with the Mego repro sharks.

Remember that old adage......."you get what you pay for!"

Comment

• timb
              Will Draw for Toys
              • May 1, 2009

Very impressive work your friend does. Beautiful sculpt.

Comment

• clemso
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 8, 2001

Even if folks here don't wanna "bite" I'm sure we'll do well on Ebay with the Mego repro sharks.

Remember that old adage......."you get what you pay for!"
                Thanks for keeping us updated, its sounds like your going to do it no matter what. I'm very impress at the speed that you have gone about this and I am sure you will make a great product. I look forward to seeing more pics of the box and Shark.

Comment

• reevefan78
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by clemso
                  Thanks for keeping us updated, its sounds like your going to do it no matter what. I'm very impress at the speed that you have gone about this and I am sure you will make a great product. I look forward to seeing more pics of the box and Shark.
                  Yep! I know if it were me "on the other side of the fence" I would definitely want someone to take this project on and see it through to completion. As I stated before this set was my most cherished and favorite Mego set when I was a child. I just wish I had had the foresight to have bought more than one and had my parents store it till I became an adult and could appreciate it more from a collectible standpoint. But then again we didn't think about things like that in the 70s.

I know there are collectors out there that would appreciate what I am wanting to bring them. Those that can't afford an original or find one will now be able to have the next best thing.....a high quality replica that will make a beautiful display piece in their Mego collection.

I sent off my check on Friday to pay the kind soul that photographed their Mego Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set for me so that I could bring sellers a faithful and high quality repro box that will include the ultra rare insert that up until now has never been duplicated.

My mold maker friend will be receiving my Mego shark tomorrow (Monday, Oct. 18th) so stay tuned.......much, much more to follow on this thread with lots of updates in store. Take care all!

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Tell that to the lot that are very particular about the lack of perfection on the new Mattel figures...

Originally posted by Mikey01

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

what's the point, if it's worth doing at all it's worth doing well.
                      I love this attitude! We should see more of it in the 8" universe. (Yes, another slam against Mattel.)

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

Enough Lonnie. We all understand you hate the Mattel stuff. We don't need to see it in every post you make. And frankly, I'm getting sick of reading it all the time. Please stop. You've made your point.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by ScottA
                          Enough Lonnie. We all understand you hate the Mattel stuff. We don't need to see it in every post you make. And frankly, I'm getting sick of reading it all the time. Please stop. You've made your point.
                          Thank you

Comment

• reevefan78
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 3, 2008

Shark arrives safely to my friend, the mold maker

In the event that folks are following this thread I will be updating it frequently as I receive information from my friend who will be molding and casting my Mego shark. He received it in the mail today and here is what he wrote me this evening:

Hey, I know Cat wrote you that I received the shark OK, but just wanted you to know that it is well. Very good packing.

It does have quite a large amount of above surface damage from that glue
                            splatter. Dunno yet which is better, to try a repair or just waste a $100 in silicone to double cast it..

I have yet to take it apart though. Noticed the wedge of styrofoam and the belly weight. Do not know if it can be done in a standard silicone and 2 part resin style run - for the inner shell's

pin and hole/screw mount was designed for pressure/thermo injection casting.
                            Can definitely do up the outer shell and inner Shell as separate assemblies
                            though.

I have to call it quits for the night, am really worn out. I am putting
                            finishing touches on 2 replacement sharks tomorrow. If I can finish them in a timely manor then I will disassemble the Aquashark and study it closer.

Will have better to offer with a fresher brain maybe tomorrow, ganight Kris,

Comment

• supes
                              For the love of Mego's!
                              • Jan 19, 2004

This is exciting! I look forward to reading all your updates. Good luck!

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• noelani72
                                27inaleon
                                • Jun 25, 2002

this is verrry interesting. Onboard if price is right. Prolly not needing a working unit since that just adds to its cost.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎