Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reevefan78
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 3, 2008

Here are a couple more views of my dismantled original Mego shark. Enjoy! More to follow.

Comment

• reevefan78
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 3, 2008

Mego Shark Repro Poll

Hey Gang,

Just wanted to throw something out at the collectors and see what response the following idea garners:

We want to cast the perfected/repaired body halves together instead of
      casting each body half separately and then assembling and gluing/screwing them together
      for the following reasons:

1. This would ensure each replica is perfect with a clean and straight seam [Higher standard].

2. This would make a stronger replica.

3. This would make our replica Impossible to pass off as an original Mego collectible shark.

4. This would make the replicas CONSIDERABLY more affordable. In fact this is a win win for everyone who is concerned with keeping this replica affordable and very much under a few hundred dollars each.

5. This would be the backbone of trimming production times and filling everyones orders in a more timely manor. Casting the body halves together would effectively eliminate 9 steps of the foreseen 54 step process thus far.

6. There are 2 more reasons I cannot list as they are ancient Chinese secrets... [yes, kidding]

*FEEDBACK IS WELCOME*

Comment

• THE FALCON
        Career Member
        • Jan 2, 2011

If it makes the shark more affordable, I'm all for it.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Yep, go for it. Can't see why this would bother anyone, no one is gonna dismantle their shark anyway
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• clemso
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by reevefan78
            Hey Gang,

Just wanted to throw something out at the collectors and see what response the following idea garners:

We want to cast the perfected/repaired body halves together instead of
            casting each body half separately and then assembling and gluing/screwing them together
            for the following reasons:

1. This would ensure each replica is perfect with a clean and straight seam [Higher standard].

2. This would make a stronger replica.

3. This would make our replica Impossible to pass off as an original Mego collectible shark.

4. This would make the replicas CONSIDERABLY more affordable. In fact this is a win win for everyone who is concerned with keeping this replica affordable and very much under a few hundred dollars each.

5. This would be the backbone of trimming production times and filling everyones orders in a more timely manor. Casting the body halves together would effectively eliminate 9 steps of the foreseen 54 step process thus far.

6. There are 2 more reasons I cannot list as they are ancient Chinese secrets... [yes, kidding]

*FEEDBACK IS WELCOME*
            Sounds like a perfect solution to everyone's concerns Now i am really tempted to get one.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

sounds good to me

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Will this replica be able to do everything the original did? Or will it just hold a static pose?

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

affordable reproduction.
                  Do what you guys find best.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Streamlining construction sounds fine to me!
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• reevefan78
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
                      Will this replica be able to do everything the original did? Or will it just hold a static pose?
                      This first economy version will look like the original in every way only it will be a solid shell body (no right and left half held together by 3 screws and glue). The upper jaw will still be a separate piece held onto the lower jaw by the pegs on the outside of the lower jaw.

There will be a motor shaft coming out the back and a prop on the end of this but no motor inside.....hence the "static model". There are plans to do a motorized version depending on the demand at a later stage but most folks are not going to put this in water so the majority have been okay with us producing a static model first and see how well these sell. Of course a running model will up the price a good bit since all the mechanics and internal working parts have to be molded and in place and working. I hope this makes sense. More to follow soon.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

^This static version sounds nice to me: I'd like a propeller, but I'm not concerned if it's actually a working toy.

Will the material be polystyrene, though? I think that's important.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• reevefan78
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          ^This static version sounds nice to me: I'd like a propeller, but I'm not concerned if it's actually a working toy.

Will the material be polystyrene, though? I think that's important.
                          The static version will have a propeller....it just won't be motorized, but looking at it from the outside you'd never be the wiser.

As for polystyrene.......don't think that is feasible on something like this, the only real option is polyurethane resin.....but it will be colored to approximate the original Mego Great White Sharks as closely as possible.

More to follow.

Comment

• wilbs518
                            Mego Collector
                            • Jul 25, 2009

Thanks for the updates. I can't wait.
                            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by reevefan78
                              The static version will have a propeller....it just won't be motorized, but looking at it from the outside you'd never be the wiser.

As for polystyrene.......don't think that is feasible on something like this, the only real option is polyurethane resin.....but it will be colored to approximate the original Mego Great White Sharks as closely as possible.

More to follow.
                              But wouldn't resin result in a solid shark? I guess I don't know enough about casting resin, I can't picture the construction.

Comment

• justzeg18
                                Career Member
                                • May 5, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                But wouldn't resin result in a solid shark? I guess I don't know enough about casting resin, I can't picture the construction.
                                You can slush cast or roto-cast resin for a strong hollow shell.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎