X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jp1969
    Banned
    • Dec 10, 2009

Sticky famous covers figures

I have purchased a few boxed Famous covers figures, and have found the rubber used to make for example doc dooms armor,wolverines mask to be sticky.
    I have also come across this stickiness on a 4in invisible girl.
    Some type of resin being released?
    I have tried washing them to no avail.
    Can anyone tell me of a possible cure for this?
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

I believe it is a reaction of the chemicals in the rubber. i have found some of my vintage Star Wars figuresuffering the same problem. I usually just wipe them down with warm water and a mild detergent to get the stickiness off.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Yep, mine too.
      Especially Doom is a very sticky character. The stick is strong, in that one....
      Iron Man's hands and feet, too. Unless Stark has been hitting the bottle again, and got sloppy with his vodka.

Have the same problem on some vintage SW, as said, mild soapy water usually get them "unsticky" for a period of time.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Frank
        Veteran Member
        • May 2, 2009

It the actual plastic starting to break down that causes the stickiness. I'm a big GI jOE collector and I have come across this quite a bit with a lot of the early Cotswold Collectibles/Elite Brigade boots. if you wash the item in a dish detergent like "Dawn" it will take away the stickness.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Yeah; it's the same kind of problem as Mego melt, or grey face syndrome. I got a Wolverine who's mask started to get sticky about 5 years after they came out.

Don C.

Comment

• AAAAA
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 28, 2005

also store in a cooler place , Temperture plays major part here , causing leaching of chemicals out of the chemical matrix of the plastic.

Comment

• bgrimm77
              NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
              • Jan 4, 2009

I know from experience that famous covers gloves and boots and emblems are horrible for stickiness. When I gave my son all the ones I didnt sell the Daredevil and the Cap gloves were like melting m.m's
              WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎