• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by AAAAA
    Yeah, they hold the master toy Licence,and the "1,000" page agreements
    lay out in Fine detail what can be and can not be made in the form of action figures and toys, to inculde that Marvel and DC have the finale say what gets produced.
    and Both sides beat each other over the head with the contract.
    Things that are manufactured outside the licence holder, are items not cover in the agreements.
    as for the Tonner, there not action figures persay but high end collectible dolls.

It not going to happen.
    DCDirect and Marvel Select can and do operate even with the contracts with Hasbro and Mattel. So, it could easily happen thru Diamond, EMCE and Direct and or Select.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mego boy CA
      megos are FUN!!
      • Mar 30, 2006

welcome and yes it would be awsome to see some dc and marvel mego repos!
      sigpic
      "To The Batmobile!"
      "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Here's a quote from the Man Himself...Doc Mego!

"There will be more Treks, and I will not rest until the super-heroes are hanging on store pegs. "
        sigpic

Comment

• dumbldor
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 9, 2002

Originally posted by Count Creepyhead
          Don't worry Dubldor, the Re-issues aren't going to affect prices on WGSH. most of the good carded stuff is in the hands of collectors who spent a pretty penny on them so no matter how much the Re-issues affect Ebay sales of loose figures, vintage carded stuff will always be steep. Re-issues don't affect package variations.
          I agree completely. I thought I shared my thoughts on this subject here, but it must have been another thread. The rare carded WGSH are, for the most part, in the hands of very few collectors and are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them on the infrequent chance they ever go up for sale. Repros will not change that one bit.

Even if the rare carded WGSH would plummet in price, it does not matter. Toy collecting is not an investment. I am way ahead in this game, anyway. It's all monopoly money to me. When I can sell something for big bucks, it is a bonus.

Comment

• argent007
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 7, 2005

Old Megos will still be king

I collect WGSH and I prefer loose figures. I'll definitely finish up my collection whether or not the figures are released. A couple years ago, I purchased a boxed Batgirl because I couldn't find a better condition loose figure. About a decade ago and before I knew how much they were worth, I opened a Batman (US Card, probably cost about $50), Hulk (US card, I used to buy these any time for $20 or less), Thing (Chose card, probably $20 or $30) and Human Torch (French card, probably cost the same as the Thing). I don't really regret doing it, but I regret not saving the packaging. Though I would like to still have that nice Batman on the card...

When/if the WGSH line comes out, I will buy one of each (at a minimum) just to have them, but I still plan to finish my original loose WGSH collection. I would do this even if a rerelease is available for the same figures that I don't yet have.

In part, it is because I like that they are old. Same reason I like old comic books, Big Little books, movie posters, etc. It is a piece of history that one can't just replicate. This isn't to take away from EMCE toys and Dr. Mego. I think it is great that these are being made. I guess my point is that I don't think this will hurt the market for loose or boxed figures very much. People will still want them. Think of all the different reprints of key comic books. This hasn't been a negative for the market for orginals. I think it will increase demand for the original figures b/c more people will be exposed to Megos.

For some reason there is something special about this toy company. I'm 30 and didn't have any megos as a kid. I played with Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers and He-Man. And a bit later Secret Wars and Super Powers. I first saw Mego WGSHs when a friend in my neighborhood showed me the boxes of his older brother's toys in their basement. I remember being transfixed by the cloth costumes and the "Silver Age look" to the figures. (As a kid, I usually preferred beat up silver age or golden age comics to recent issues too.)

I bought my first mego (a beat up spiderman) at my first comic book show when I was in junior high. Through the years since, I've collected Megos and put them away, usually depending on the living space that I had available.

I bought a condo with enough room to display them and then chanced upon the Mego Museum online. Since then I've had the chance to buy Megos and trade with a number of you. I've been offline for a while as I lost my extra room that I used to house my toy and comic collection b/c a friend dating back from elementary school needed cheap rent while looking for a job in Madison. So the Megos went back in the boxes...

For the last couple months, I've been working in Afghanistan. I don't spend any money over here, so I'm tempted to splurge on a few more figures in the WGSH line, but I know I won't see them for a while...

Anyway, that's my Mego story. I'm really glad that Dr. Mego is so passionate about the re-releases. I think it is especially great for those that aren't aware of these classic toys.

As for me, I've never liked Star Trek. But I'm debating about picking up the re-releases anyway...
            My Updated Want List:
            Comic book original art
            1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
            Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• WilRadcliffe
              • May 24, 2006

Originally posted by The Bat

"There will be more Treks, and I will not rest until the super-heroes are hanging on store pegs. "
              Whoo hoo! Maybe while they're waiting for the Marvel/DC licenses, Doc & Diamond can secure the licenses for some other publishers. Valiant/Gold Key would be nice. Or, my personal preference, Atlas/Seaboard! I'd love to see Grim Ghost, the Brute, Tarantula, and Destructor get the Mego treatment! :D
              White, Gray, and Black Stones
              Scattered 'Cross the Board
              Now You Must Unite Them
              To Become the Noggle Lord!

Noggle Stones... Now On Sale!

Comment

• jds1911a1
                Alan Scott is the best GL
                • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by WilRadcliffe
                Whoo hoo! Maybe while they're waiting for the Marvel/DC licenses, Doc & Diamond can secure the licenses for some other publishers. Valiant/Gold Key would be nice. Or, my personal preference, Atlas/Seaboard! I'd love to see Grim Ghost, the Brute, Tarantula, and Destructor get the Mego treatment! :D
                didn't DC buy the atlas characters??

Comment

• WilRadcliffe
                  • May 24, 2006

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                  didn't DC buy the atlas characters??
                  I don't believe so. Last I heard, these characters were in the public domain. Beau Smith says when he worked for Eclipse they worked up an ashcan demo for a planned relaunch of the Atlas characters. For some reason it fell apart, unfortunately.

I've also heard that some individual out there is claiming ownership of the characters. And I've heard that Seaboard still maintains ownership.

Probably wouldn't take too much to sort it all out if anyone was really serious about relaunching the characters. The comics should probably be launched first, with the Megos following shortly there after.

Least that's how I'd do it if I had deeper pockets.
                  Last edited by WilRadcliffe; Oct 22, '07, 3:15 PM.
                  Now You Must Unite Them

Comment

• rikitikitavi
                    Museum Mongoose
                    • Aug 15, 2003

Where is this quote from? Did I miss it?

Comment

• jds1911a1
                      Alan Scott is the best GL
                      • Aug 8, 2007

I don't believe so. Last I heard, these characters were in the public domain. Beau Smith says when he worked for Eclipse they worked up an ashcan demo for a planned relaunch of the Atlas characters. For some reason it fell apart, unfortunately.

I've also heard that some individual out there is claiming ownership of the characters. And I've heard that Seaboard still maintains ownership.

Probably wouldn't take too much to sort it all out if anyone was really serious about relaunching the characters. The comics should probably be launched first, with the Megos following shortly there after.

Least that's how I'd do it if I had deeper pockets.
                      I stand corrected thanks

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Ha! Yeah EMce would make a fortune from the two guys that would buy those.

By two guys, I mean you and me BTW. I'm fascinated with that line of comics.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• WilRadcliffe
                          • May 24, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Ha! Yeah EMce would make a fortune from the two guys that would buy those.

By two guys, I mean you and me BTW. I'm fascinated with that line of comics.
                          Hey! You might be surprised! There's even a web site dedicated to Atlas/Seaboard. I bet they'd get more than a few orders. Especially if someone relaunched the line with some new comics!
                          Now You Must Unite Them

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Hey! You might be surprised! There's even a web site dedicated to Atlas/Seaboard. I bet they'd get more than a few orders. Especially if someone relaunched the line with some new comics!
                            That's an incredible site, I visit there often. If Atlas got relaunched (and much of their content makes more sense now than then), I could see it being pretty popular.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MegoGeek
                              From The Black Lagoon
                              • Jun 27, 2001

I have a big stack of the old 70's Atlas books.

They were an amazing contrast to the Marvel and DC books that were dominating at the time.

Fun stuff.
                              ______
                              ChArLiE

Comment

• Count Creepyhead
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Jul 28, 2007

Atlas comics make me think of 70's Doctor offices and chewable orange aspirin.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎