Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closer look: Heroes in Action's Obama figure (with pics!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spamn
    Minty and All-Original!
    • Mar 28, 2002

Closer look: Heroes in Action's Obama figure (with pics!)

Hey, look who it is!

It's the President of the United States!

Sir, could I ask you to step out of the limo and remove your jacket? Thank you.

Okay, cool. Could you now please strip naked and lie down next to that Romulan there? Aw, yeah. Let me get my camera.

Okay Mark, cheers. Ollie, would you mind? Thanks.

Is it true Sir, that you have a tattoo? Could we see that please?

Now rumor has it that you're a flexible man, Mr. President. Care to show us just how flexible you are? Thought you might.

Okay, that's it Sir. Thank you. I'm sure you have places to be with your.... friend there.

What? No, don't worry. I promise I won't put these pictures on the internet.

-------

Okay, so what have we got?

The Heroes in Action figure is just great. The clothes are all removable and fit the figure spectacularly without looking like a kid with too many layers on. The tie even has velcro at the end of it to secure it in place so the figure won't end up looking rumpled as Columbo like many other 8" suit/jacket/tie combos do after some handling.

The body design uses no rubber bands, rather some kind of peg/hole construction, not unlike the current articulated 6" or collect-and-build-a-figure lines. It's almost 8 1/2 inches tall, with a trapezoid upper body that's muscular, but not overly steroidly. The neck has two degrees of freedom, almost Flatt style; it rotates and can look up and down and be cocked to the side. The biceps swivel, the feet also have a 2nd degree of freedom over a traditional Mego - letting them spin as well as bend - and the knees as you can see are double-pinned. The body is solid, joints are tight, and it holds poses well.

The head is solid rather than squishy, but the sculpt and paint look pretty great.

I really only have two beefs with this figure.

First, I could do without the tramp stamp. I'd rather have raised, uncolored text. But that's really just a quibble.

Second, if I want more of these bodies, which I do, I have to buy another figure. I really want to have these bodies available for customs - though I don't yet know how we'd swap heads off Obama. If the heads could be swapped off the neck stem, this body would be customizer's nirvana.

I like this body a lot. A LOT. It's taken all the advances in toys since the 70s and put them in a form that looks a bunch like my favorite toys of youth, but with more articulation. I think I may prefer this to the Cast-A-Way body. Between the body design, sculpt detail, and outfit, this much quality in a Mego-esque figure for $25 feels like a steal.

I hope HIA goes on to raise the bar for a Mego-like female body in the same way. That would be stupendous.

And I have to say that while I'm not completely displeased with Mattel's body, the retro hero leg situation looks worse when in direct comparison with the Heroes in Action body as pictured. Happy as I am with the Green Arrow and the announced DC superhero characters forthcoming, I wish Mattel had gone with their body choices more in the direction that Heroes In Action has.

It's good to have variation in height as well. I hope we get the chance to make customs from these bodies. I have several folks in mind who I'd like to be a mite taller.

I will attempt to put Barack into some Mego boots and photograph the result for later. I'm curious if he fits into Mego clothes and boots and what not. But that's all for now.
    Last edited by spamn; Feb 24, '10, 11:48 PM.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

looks like the top end is right on par with mego scale. The legs seem to be lengthened just a bit to give the extra height. If you could work a set of Mego legs onto the body (and give up the double pin on the knee), it would probably be right at Mego scale.

Comment

• spamn
      Minty and All-Original!
      • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by rche
      looks like the top end is right on par with mego scale. The legs seem to be lengthened just a bit to give the extra height. If you could work a set of Mego legs onto the body (and give up the double pin on the knee), it would probably be right at Mego scale.
      Yeah - the height seems to come from the thighs. The Mattel torso actually seems a little taller/longer than the HIA body.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
        To Fear is Not Logical...
        • Feb 17, 2008

What kind of plastic are the hands made out of? They look like they might have trouble holding stuff. I'm really liking the way the knees are constructed.
        It's all good!

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Cool, hope these guys get more product out there or even make the bodies available for customs.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

NEAT!

It's similar to the 1/6 bodies they were selling in Japan back in the early 00's. I don't mind the double knee joint, but the ankle joint worries me. I've seen a lot of figures with swivel joints like that go limp and not be able to stand after time. The Mego joint isn't the best; but it is pretty durable vs play.

Don C.

Comment

• spamn
              Minty and All-Original!
              • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
              What kind of plastic are the hands made out of? They look like they might have trouble holding stuff.
              The hands are stiff plastic, with a little give. I don't think they'd have any more trouble holding stuff than Mego figs do, so long as it wedges into the hand. The fingers are open a mite wider than a Mego T2. I'll add a hand comparison and Obama holding stuff to the list of photos to update the thread with.

Comment

• spamn
                Minty and All-Original!
                • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by ctc
                NEAT!

It's similar to the 1/6 bodies they were selling in Japan back in the early 00's. I don't mind the double knee joint, but the ankle joint worries me. I've seen a lot of figures with swivel joints like that go limp and not be able to stand after time. The Mego joint isn't the best; but it is pretty durable vs play.

Don C.
                The figure's joints are all really tight out of the package. I think it'd take some serious play to loosen it up that much. Though I could easily be wrong. I plan on getting a black suit this week - we'll see if that one has the same 'feel' out of the package.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

The Heroes in Action body is really heavy and high quality, the little details in the suit and shoes are amazing.

I wasn't so thrilled with the way the legs moved but neither was Mark who was planning on fixing that. He also told me he has a muscular torso for upcoming releases.

As figures go, Obama is nice but I have trouble getting excited over Political figures personally, Lincoln on the other hand was on Star Trek, so I'm excited.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megojim
                    Permanent Member
                    • Oct 13, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
                    As figures go, Obama is nice but I have trouble getting excited over Political figures personally, Lincoln on the other hand was on Star Trek, so I'm excited.
                    I don't get the facination with such a figure . . . . I confess I'm not a fan of the Man himself, nevertheless I wouldn't go buy a Ronald Reagan figure either . . . unless it came with a monkey . .
                    -jim
                    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks for the review. Amusing *and* informative.

When I first saw that it was not quite Mego scale, I had mistakenly assumed it was a "cheap knockoff". But it actually looks like a pretty cool little figure (well, as cool as an action figure of a politician can be, at least).

Comment

• spamn
                        Minty and All-Original!
                        • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Well, if character appearances with landmark geek icons are your criteria Your mileage may vary with Savage Dragon as a landmark geek icon.

Originally posted by megojim
                        I don't get the facination with such a figure . . . . I confess I'm not a fan of the Man himself, nevertheless I wouldn't go buy a Ronald Reagan figure either . . . unless it came with a monkey . .
                        -jim
                        Yeah, my thrill with this figure was more that it was an 8", not who it was of, though in my case it wasn't a deterrent. Though I can't think of any other President in living memory that I'd be interested in. If they started working their way back in time one President at a time, I doubt I'd be buying. Though now knowing how much I like the body design and the quality level of the figure, I'd be tempted on that alone.

However, once you get beyond fifty years ago, a President figure becomes a historical icon. I'd probably buy Eisenhower, Truman, FDR, Teddy Roosevelt, and several of the founding fathers and the guys on our money. And going by historical significance, it's tough to argue that the first black President hasn't joined that club. Fifty years from now, I'm pretty sure this President will be one of the ones that kids come out of school remembering.

As opposed to say, Chester A. Arthur. Who I would not buy an action figure of.

I will say that I find the customizing possibilities of a Richard Nixon action figure enticing, though I don't have any real living memories of his Presidency.

Also, for a lot of people outside of the collector community, Obama is very popular so this figure has some good cross-market memorabilia appeal. Though I suppose you could say that about any President.
                        Last edited by spamn; Feb 25, '10, 7:43 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

A line of Presidents would be cool, hitting the biggies. A good Lincold might actually get me to finish my Amazing Screw-On Head figure.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• johnmiic
                            Adrift
                            • Sep 6, 2002

Well if they do more presidents figures you could play The X-Presidents like on the Saturday Night Live Cartoon.

Comment

• spamn
                              Minty and All-Original!
                              • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by johnmiic
                              Well if they do more presidents figures you could play The X-Presidents like on the Saturday Night Live Cartoon.
                              "I have lusted in my heart... TO KICK YOUR A##!!"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎