X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

Exclusives from ReMego = No Fun

I am a bit unsure why the whole Topps thing doesn't get thrown into the Big-Lots situation.

Big Lots should just offer their exclusive right on their site. Exclusive toys should be fun to acquire.

The Big-Lots wave is a subtle retooling to get us to buy the same toy the third time.

Why can't our entire collecting thing go a little easier?

Doesn't anyone think this has hurt the entire process?
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I am a bit unsure why the whole Topps thing doesn't get thrown into the Big-Lots situation.
    Mainly because it's not as high pressure as Topps, the Big Lots thing seems to be coming out and people are finding them.

Originally posted by zeedox
    The Big-Lots wave is a subtle retooling to get us to buy the same toy the third time.
    Right and that's the other thing, these aren't characters that won't be sold elsewhere, they're basically repaints.

It would be nice if they offered a web purchase option. I get that part, but the way Topps rolled out was just super stressful and not on the same level as this. This took a while, but they seem to be rolling out. I know Frank at Absolutely Retro is trying to get his hands on some to sell at no markup.

Why can't our entire collecting thing go a little easier?
    Well, I think that all the time here in Canada, we never got the WGSH figures at retail, and then only a handful of characters popped up on Amazon. Our Toys R Us shelves have a never-ending Picard selection. Whenever I see any toy or collectible being offered, it's probably likely I'll have to track it down. It's just how it is for much of the world outside of the US.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

But this is America! We should have all the shiny stuff we want lying at our feet at the exact moment we want it! Sorry overboard melodramatic moment. I get both of the comments but as far as collecting is hard, I thought that wasn’t a bug, it was the feature of exclusives. Exclusives are meant to be hard to get and hard to find. Like Wonka and his golden tickets. Maybe I read too much into it but that’s how exclusives always seemed to be intended to me.

Comment

• zeedox
        Career Member
        • Aug 10, 2007

Honestly I have nothing in this one. If I see them I will get at least some of them.

Comment

• hizzy
          Museum Super Collector
          • Apr 1, 2023

Originally posted by palitoy
          Whenever I see any toy or collectible being offered, it's probably likely I'll have to track it down. It's just how it is for much of the world outside of the US.
          This is so true. It would be a thrill to walk into a Montreal Walmart and buy a Dr. Fate. Online is the way for many of us outside the US.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by hizzy
            This is so true. It would be a thrill to walk into a Montreal Walmart and buy a Dr. Fate. Online is the way for many of us outside the US.
            Online is the way for many of us inside the US. There are no Walmart stores in Portland. When we did have some Walmart stores, I saw very little in the way of Mego. I don't think I ever even bought one there. I never saw anything good there. I got a lot of figures from Target, but they don't sell them anymore.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

Truth be told, it's mostly the same way here in the U.S. too (at least in the dense urban areas). I've only seen Superman, Batman & Robin, once, at one single Walmart (in a rural area) about a year ago. Other than the Young Frankenstein 2 pack, the Chucky/Bride 2 pack and a boatload of Toxic Avengers, I haven't seen much of anything in any of the stores since the initial Target exclusive waves in 2017/18.

90-95% of my Megos have been purchased online (Thank you ZLC & BBTS!!).

My observation has been that Target & Walmart employees are buying them up & listing them on eBay at a markup. You can tell when you check their other listings and they're mostly store specific exclusives (Hot Wheels, Barbies, Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Jurassic World, TMNTs, Etc.), usually one of each item and their sales transaction counts are in the hundreds instead of the thousands.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

I agree with the OP that this is no fun.

I sympathize with the others here who are adding their own legitimate complaints, as well as those trying to put an optimistic spin on things. My biggest problem is, we've been given TWO release dates, and neither were correct. Now at least in my case, demand may outstrip supply.

I'm not a fan of a lot of the licenses Mego has acquired, but for a time I was able to simply not buy those, and buy the stuff I did like. But now? There isn't much I DO like (I'm honestly not thrilled about rehasing WGSH yet again, but with these variants they're at least doing something new and different with it).

It all feels to me that I and the things I like were used as stepping stones to arrive at relaunching the WGSH brand, and now that they have, we're not needed anymore.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                  Exclusives are meant to be hard to get and hard to find. Like Wonka and his golden tickets. Maybe I read too much into it but that’s how exclusives always seemed to be intended to me.
                  I always thought "store exclusives" were a deal between the stores and the manufacturers for the store to be the only one to sell the 'exclusives' as a way to draw more customers into the stores? Say Big Lots selling these Megos: People will come into the store to look for and/or buy the Megos, and Big Lots is banking on people buying other merchandise while they're in the store...

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

Topps did not understand the market and decided to extend their produce but not understanding the market. Every Horror figure I have been able to get both version at or below retail price. Mego's idea should have sold on them, but they should have stayed with the sports idea. Sports fans would have been happy to build there team in Mego form. Custom Mego fans would have loved to have new heads especial those that not white to use as future figures. The outfits would have been cost cutting because there all the same except the lettering.

Wal-Mart tried and still does, but their online sales are better than the stores and even that is hit and miss. Big Lots was a crazy idea. The closest on I have is one hour away. So, unless I am going to a doctor visit or seeing my brother, I do not stop in. from I have seen there just repaints/stickers anyways so really who cares. Wal-Mart & Target helped in getting the Mego Craze back to the fans and for that I thank them.

Mego launched their Amazon store and I think they should focus more on that outreach than any others. The amount of people who shop Amazon far out does the box stores. Amazon should be the first release of the items. If stores what an exclusive (say all black Batman) then they should be able to get it for a certain time.
                    Last edited by monitor_ep; Nov 5, '23, 12:45 AM.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

Mego could be Super 7 if they tried.

Problem is they don't try, and the people involved/in charge don't WANT to try.

They're caught in a very old fashioned mindset. Which is great for the product, but bad for the future. Brian Flynn they are not. For better or worse.

I'm not insulting them, they can run the business any way they choose, all I'm saying is, this is not how I'd run a toyline rooted in nostalgia.
                      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• hizzy
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Apr 1, 2023

I've thoroughly enjoyed re-mego. There are some weird things about it - The website comes to mind. Why is it never updated? Or just make the museum the official site and shut the other one down.

Aside from the knees and availability of some figures, it's been top notch. I'm a little worried that it will be hard to get the next wave in Canada but we will wait and see.

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

I'm happy your experience is better than mine.

That said, there's things I absolutely LOVE about it. No doubt. But there are a number of things that frustrate me about it too.

But I will say the good mostly outweighs the bad, even if the balance is a little closer than I'd personally want for the company.

I truly do wish them success, but I kind of feel like they're making things a little more difficult for themselves than they have to. Every new venture has speed bumps. I get that, but I think the creatives over there need to be more flexible with their ideas.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

... Or just make the museum the official site and shut the other one down.
                            The museum is a fan site that strives to be inclusive for the 1/9-scale figure collector. It's always championed vintage and new Mego figures but is not affiliated with the new Mego Corp. and has said as much in its weekly newsletter.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎