http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by SeattleEd
      I got a Shaft figure...
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]35082[/ATTACH]
      BLACK DYNAMITE!! Best suggestion on the whole thread!
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ToyBob
        Museum Patron
        • Feb 21, 2022

Decided to look over the whole thread, see I repeated some other's ideas heh, so many great ideas. After seeing some more recent licenses suggested I'd say new-ish ones are a safe bet Ie. Breaking Bad rather than Better Call Saul. That is interesting about Aang selling well, since it seemed like it came out of left field.

About Popeye and cartoon stuff like that is tricky, like even bitd those Oz munchkins were an extra for Mego tooling. I think it's possible but you need generic cartoon bodies that fall in line with the Mego system.
        Using Popeye as an example he could be distilled down to a generic slim cartoon stock body and then add his forearm and calf bulge on top like the Tinman's armor. The slim neck look can be adapted from a normal diameter through the connecting plug. Wimpy could adapt the Mego Fat body and Bluto probably with Hulk parts at least partially.
        So extra tooling is always a factor but these could be used for many other things too. Same if they made a generic short cartoon body with a wide bottom you could do Bart Simpson, Felix the Cat with a jump suit and a tail attached, Cuphead, Smurfs, Muppet Baby, Casper & Friends, it's just about cost and retooling potential. I really admire the system and always thought Mego could have done much, much more with it.

Lol what PNGwynne said about losing a mold, not that it doesn't happen but where does something that big and heavy go? To all toy makers, don't lose any of your molds. I do agree with the comment on the degree of esoteric, I'd love an Automan figure but that is very niche.
        However Mejo's Galaxy Quest suggestion sounds ideal for selling but the likeness licensing and sculpting fidelity alone is challenging, I really didn't like Mego's Married with Children and later day Star Trek is kind of hit & miss for likeness Eg. Geordi great, Riker so so imo. But the very first Die Hard would be perfect for Mego in this new era, even John & Hans would be enough. Also more musicians sounds good too, I could see many people wanting those.

@nubee, not an argument but what exactly makes Spaceballs a "no go", just curious? It kind of reminded me of Robot Chicken in how they joked about heavy merchandising but then hardly had any even though I wanted to buy some.

@puckace, I think Logan's Run is a strong choice for a vintage sci-fi license, it has some of that timeless remembrance that POTA shares despite not having reboots.

@JoeMego, I too would love some Dr Who but from what I learned about Bif Bang Pow's lost license the whole franchise is locked down with welded steel bolts now.

@monitor_ep, I'm not sure what the license for McDonaldland would be like, you could call it defunct now but a big company owns so...probably not. Have some of Remco's, nice detailing but a Mego body would have superior flexibility to those dull bodies.

@Werewolf, I like the Rainbow Brite idea but I'd modify it to be more era generic, like an Old School Cartoon figure series where you have Teddy Ruxpin, one Care Bear, Jem, Inspector Gadget, maybe a M.A.S.K. character, distill to most popular character as one-offs. Could probably squeeze Mr. T into that theme too being an 80s icon but also having a cartoon. I wonder if Blackstar or Bravestarr licenses might be more attainable than He-Man or Thundercats?

@Count_Popula, I like that Night of the Living Dead idea, frankly all the Romero could work but the OG does seems most doable, saw the EMCE ones far too late and can't afford them now.

@TrekStar, I think Speed Racer is a strong choice and not too far from standard Mego body construction.

@TheVintageToyKid, looking over your list I think The Shining is a strong choice, not just because of fans but also because the mindshare for it has been refreshed not long ago with Ready Player One but also Doctor Sleep. The older films listed seem possible given The Reptile and The Mole People already happened, I always find monster humanoids make for an easy purchase.
        Old TV shows are harder than movies in some ways where probably only the more iconic ones could garner purchases, but I think The A-team and Seinfeld are strong contenders.
        I watched some Kolchak for the first time recently and liked it but I kind of wonder how big the fanbase is at this point, like I'm a late generation MASH fan(probably the last out the gate) but have doubts about figure sales based on Cheers being more about the mug accessory heh, maybe if they all included must-have accessories with them.

@Mego Newbie14, I think Archer would sell and I don't think the license will be that hard to get given how little merchandise has been made for the franchise thus far.

@Atomikhammer, The Addams Family sounds like a strong choice given recent animated features and a new series out. Perhaps the original TV cast or even the 90s film cast in Mego form would be a lot of fun.

@nitewing31@ebay, the Sunday Comic Strip series sounds like a strong concept, getting Dick Tracy, The Phantom, Li'l Abner, Blondie, and Little Orphan Annie would be nice. Maybe even The Spirit. Yeah Smoky and the Bandit seemed like a lost potential for a toyline.

@KingKickass1983, Crocodile Dundee is a great idea since just him would be enough. Perhaps other one-offs could work too like Val Kilmer in Real Genius, Kelly LeBrock in Weird Science, Chris Sarandon in Fright Night, Peter Weller as Buckaroo Banzai, and David Naughton in An American Werewolf in London.

I've been collecting some 8" The Real Ghosbusters but was thinking Filmation's Ghostbusters would be pretty good and compatible to Mego format. I'm not the biggest fan of it but the characters are appealing and seem easy enough with current Mego parts. I'll put another vote in for the X-Files, I think it's a good time to sell merchandise for that license, there's been a ressurgence in nostalgia for it.
        I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by ToyBob
          @nubee, not an argument but what exactly makes Spaceballs a "no go", just curious? It kind of reminded me of Robot Chicken in how they joked about heavy merchandising but then hardly had any even though I wanted to buy some.
          This article covers it.

Comment

• ToyBob
            Museum Patron
            • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by sprytel
            Oh okay, thank you, I understand now. There's kind of an irony there, George wasn't interested in merchandise, and then Mel don't make merchandise that looks similar to my merchandise. For a guy not concerned he quickly got really concerned. Well maybe now that he doesn't own it the policy could change, actually seen new owners of IPs having different attitudes.

Comment

• ToyBob
              Museum Patron
              • Feb 21, 2022

Idea is not so much the characters from the movie Gentlemen Broncos itself but rather characters from the story inside the story Yeast Lords. Kind of sendoff of mid to late 70s Sci-Fi, it has a small group of characters not unlike a Flash Gordon serial.
              gentlemen_broncos_contact-0-1080-0-0.jpg
              Neat little world of cyborg battle deer, cyclops, lasers, moon buggies, cloning, and yeast based super powers. Thought might appeal to Mego fans in a general way even if you don't like the movie itself.
              MV5BZDc5MWUzZDktYTAzZi00ZmQ4LWI4NjQtOWY2MmE4NTdiNzVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg bf5cf971-483e-407f-a74a-2413585291bf_text.jpg cyclops02.jpg
              Was thinking costumes are easily within normal clothing construction, not much in the way of complex accessories, very Logan's Run in style. Additionally the Cyclops are very much an homage to Rell from Krull so a head mold would have at least two license uses.

Gentlemen-Broncos-Suzanne-May-6.jpg

Comment

• Skille
                • Jun 27, 2017

Dick Tracy based off the comic strip would be amazing. Toys have done pretty well for the character over the years but have always been kinda gruesome looking. Especially everything for the movie back in the day. A nice Mego style figure for him and some of his foes would be incredible. Definitely need more Dr Who too!

Comment

• wise guy
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 29, 2014

I am down for a Dick Tracy figure( great idea). I don't care for old 70 's movie figures like Shaft but make him for those that wan't it . I lean towards Tarzan ,The Shadow, Doc Savage, Lone Ranger etc.
                  Keaton 89 Batman and Beetle juice also
                  Last edited by wise guy; Feb 16, '23, 8:07 AM.

Comment

• toyman
                    Just Another Collector
                    • Sep 1, 2008

I think Beastmaster would be a great one to have.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by toyman
                      I think Beastmaster would be a great one to have.
                      Specially now that we have a somewhat beefier looking body with broad shoulders.
                      Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• ToyBob
                        Museum Patron
                        • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by wise guy
                        I am down for a Dick Tracy figure( great idea). I don't care for old 70 's movie figures like Shaft but make him for those that wan't it . I lean towards Tarzan ,The Shadow, Doc Savage, Lone Ranger etc.
                        Keaton 89 Batman and Beetle juice also
                        Those are strong choices, was thinking title characters are a great route for Mego Egs. Candyman/The Fly since they don't technically have to do the whole cast of characters. I would totally buy Keaton Batman and Beetlejuice immediately. I like the idea of Beastmaster too but I'd miss the animals, monsters, and other characters if they didn't make them too.

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

I would get Beastmaster if we could get an animal with him. Kolchak the night stalker too. Green Hornet and Kato (Bruce lee) and 50 th anniv. Planet of Apes boxed original versions . More boxed figures definitely. You guys have some really cool ideas.

Comment

• Count_Popula
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Aug 28, 2018

I never considered Batman '89 an "other" property. I just wonder why Mego hasn't already made Keaton Batman and Reeve Superman as part of their larger DC Universe lines. Those would be must buys for many of us.

Comment

• ToyBob
                              Museum Patron
                              • Feb 21, 2022

Crash Test.jpg
                              Was thinking the Crash Test Dummies would be jumpsuit compatible with Mego construction, Spare Tire could certainly used the chubby body. I've heard rumors that some cancelled Megos are the result of not having the tooling for the fat body, guess they have their hands full getting the new bandless one out more and the pending new female body.

the_prisoner-442107278-large.jpg
                              Just watching The Prisoner over on Tubi and thought #6 might make a good Mego, saw somebody was trying a crowdsource thing for some action figures of the license.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by ToyBob
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]35165[/ATTACH]
                                Was thinking the Crash Test Dummies would be jumpsuit compatible with Mego construction, Spare Tire could certainly used the chubby body. I've heard rumors that some cancelled Megos are the result of not having the tooling for the fat body, guess they have their hands full getting the new bandless one out more and the pending new female body.
                                The new 50th Ann. Penguin is on a bandless chubby body so there’s no problem of not having tooling for it.
                                If the only issue was the chubby body tooling, Mego would have released the figures on the old banded fat body rather than cancel the figure altogether.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎