Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to the remove the red from Mego Flash's boots?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sabin
    • Feb 7, 2022

Any way to the remove the red from Mego Flash's boots?

i received my first figures from Mego Corp the other day: Flash and Joker. i haven't opened them yet, but plan to after the other 2 figures i ordered, Robin and Riddler, arrive. Flash has some minor red marks on his face, but it's pretty hard to notice, so i can live with that. But there are significant red marks on both of his boots (although it is hard to see the severity in the photos).

https://imgur.com/a/xlJO1MO

Did anyone else have this problem? The bad paint ops on my Flash are so concerning that i almost wish i could return him. Fortunately, Joker fares much better. Only if you look close enough at his face, can you see any imperfections at all. His pants have a minor black spot on them, but again nothing major. Overall, i'm very happy with the figures except for Flash's boots. Any simple way to fix them?
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Maybe soak the one boot in boiled water to get the shape back and then paint them?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

There's simply not enough info to properly answer your question, particularly since the figures are carded. Some suggestions:

*If it's red paint flecks--is the head painted red as a base? --it can be removed wit a swab dipped in acetone or MEK

*If it's dye transfer from the suit into the boot vinyl, this can sometimes be removed by applying peroxide cream and placing the boots under a light for a few days.

*If the boots are molded in color--I think they are--and the red marks are color imperfections in the vinyl, nothing will remove that.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• darkbros
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 3, 2012

I have mine in hand and that is are Red Dye that is transferred from the Red suit onto the yellow boot vinyl.
        I simply replaced my boots with repo ones from CTVT, the good ol superhero plastic boot.
        Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
        https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Sabin
          • Feb 7, 2022

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          There's simply not enough info to properly answer your question, particularly since the figures are carded. Some suggestions:

*If it's red paint flecks--is the head painted red as a base? --it can be removed wit a swab dipped in acetone or MEK

*If it's dye transfer from the suit into the boot vinyl, this can sometimes be removed by applying peroxide cream and placing the boots under a light for a few days.

*If the boots are molded in color--I think they are--and the red marks are color imperfections in the vinyl, nothing will remove that.
          Thanks for your reply! Sorry that i wasn't able to provide better pictures. i believe it's dye from the suit, so i guess i will try peroxide

Comment

• Sabin
            • Feb 7, 2022

Originally posted by darkbros
            I have mine in hand and that is are Red Dye that is transferred from the Red suit onto the yellow boot vinyl.
            I simply replaced my boots with repo ones from CTVT, the good ol superhero plastic boot.
            Thanks for the idea. But they don't sell the actual Flash boots with bolts on them, do they? Just generic superhero boots, right?

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
              Museum Patron
              • Aug 23, 2019

So, I saw dye from the fabric. I didn’t think there was a way, like black on trek figures necks. The peroxide method might be best. I wouldn’t mind a confirmation, if it works

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

If you remove the stains with peroxide, the boots will still want to absorb dye from the legs if you don't protect the inside of the boots from further contact. That's why I suggested painting the boots. Wrapping the legs with plastic wrap might help them from dying the boots.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                  If you remove the stains with peroxide, the boots will still want to absorb dye from the legs if you don't protect the inside of the boots from further contact. That's why I suggested painting the boots. Wrapping the legs with plastic wrap might help them from dying the boots.
                  Handwashing the costume in a mild detergent will get rid of the excess dye. Factories don't bother prewashing fabric or using prewashed fabric so the dye bleeds onto everything. The only recent line I haven't seen that on is the Mattel Mego like figures.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

The red dye from the outfit has leached onto the boots of every Flash figure. If you buy a Flash at this point, it will have it. Maybe some lucky few escaped this in the early releases, but it's unavoidable now. I've seen dozens of Flash figures all with this problem. The levels vary from "mild issue" to "completely ruining the boots" and Mego has not addressed it.

The problem is exacerbated on this figure in particular because the boots are banded in the package and it pulls the boot tighter to the figure and because the boots are a softer rubber, not only does the figure get the dye on the boots, but the boots are warped and misshapen and it almost looks like "melt" on a casual glance. But it's just the restriction against the boots and the red dye.

There does not appear to be a way to completely remove the dye from the boots, once it's baked in, it's almost impossible to remove. Flash has unique boots not available anywhere else.

It's a bummer.

Comment

• Sabin
                      • Feb 7, 2022

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Handwashing the costume in a mild detergent will get rid of the excess dye. Factories don't bother prewashing fabric or using prewashed fabric so the dye bleeds onto everything. The only recent line I haven't seen that on is the Mattel Mego like figures.
                      The red on Mattel's Flash looks much more subtle, so maybe that's why his boots don't have this unfortunate problem.

Comment

• Sabin
                        • Feb 7, 2022

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        The red dye from the outfit has leached onto the boots of every Flash figure. If you buy a Flash at this point, it will have it. Maybe some lucky few escaped this in the early releases, but it's unavoidable now. I've seen dozens of Flash figures all with this problem. The levels vary from "mild issue" to "completely ruining the boots" and Mego has not addressed it.

The problem is exacerbated on this figure in particular because the boots are banded in the package and it pulls the boot tighter to the figure and because the boots are a softer rubber, not only does the figure get the dye on the boots, but the boots are warped and misshapen and it almost looks like "melt" on a casual glance. But it's just the restriction against the boots and the red dye.

There does not appear to be a way to completely remove the dye from the boots, once it's baked in, it's almost impossible to remove. Flash has unique boots not available anywhere else.

It's a bummer.
                        Yes, it's a total shame that hurts an otherwise really great-looking figure imo. i thought i read somewhere that the Mego Flash boots are identifcal to the Mattel Flash boots, but i have no idea if that's actually true. They certainly look very similar, while the FTC Flash boots look very generic.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Or Mattel with its 60 years or so of Barbie experience does better qc on soft goods.

Originally posted by Sabin
                          The red on Mattel's Flash looks much more subtle, so maybe that's why his boots don't have this unfortunate problem.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Spyweb007
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 18, 2006

Could it be the factory simply put the figures together and packaged to fast before everything has a chance to cure? I don't think the flash boot would be as bad without the tie holding it tight to the leg.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                              Permanent Member
                              • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Sabin
                              Yes, it's a total shame that hurts an otherwise really great-looking figure imo. i thought i read somewhere that the Mego Flash boots are identifcal to the Mattel Flash boots, but i have no idea if that's actually true. They certainly look very similar, while the FTC Flash boots look very generic.
                              They're essentially the same boots, but the Mattel version is considerably thicker material.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎