Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kerowack
    Career Member
    • Feb 27, 2008

I’ve had criticisms and concerns about the new mego since the licenses started being revealed. I think they are MOSTLY poor choices for the relaunch of the company and I hope I’m wrong. I’ve loved mego all of my life, but some of these licenses are tough sells and, add to that, some of the figures show are just blah. The best figures shown (aside from Jeannie and Dracula) are rereleases and then neca goes ahead and blasts out aninsanely cool megolike display that hits on all cylinders.

I realize megos will be cheaper, but the neca figures, on top of looking nicer, have a couple of strong licenses that are popular right now. If neca had done a really well done cheers line, I’d scratch my head too.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
      Career Member
      • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by greensavage2000
      I was at work last night and talking to a co-worker about these new Megos and told him "It might be wrong that a man my age is this excited about this".

I can't wrap my head around how a Mego fan isn't thrilled this is happening. I don't want everything shown but how is this a reason to just hate the all shibang, like the whole concept of it even happening? I'm so glad my mind doesn't work that way.

I think what Funko has done with their Pops line just shows how if done nicely and in the stores where people see it, not just collectors, lots of licensed properties can work. I think Mego realizes this. I bet a lot of these have better legs than a lot of people think.

This should be incredible news for everyone. It means whatever license you want has a greater chance of being made with this strategy. Funko is making ev-ery-th-ing, everything! It must be working they still are coming out with the must mind blowing things, like I can't believe they're making this kinda thing.

I for one am crazy excited about where this going. Go Mego!
      I hear that crap all the time. How can a man my age collect dolls? a man my age dress up and go to cons? a man my age love dogs so much? a man my age do FX make up.

These people can wear war paint to a football game in 0 degree weather and that's okay?!?
      lay on the couch, ignore their wife to watch all sports. and that's ok?!?
      heaven forbid we have fun with our hobbies. Tell them to bite the big one!
      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Capt Kirk
        Museum Patron
        • Jan 15, 2005

Love 'em. All of 'em. If it wasn't the end of the month, I'd have walked out of the store with a staggering number of these new releases!

I am going to buy some of these figures, every single month, for as long as they are made available to me. I'm not wealthy, but I can afford one or two $15 figures now and again. I am going to thank Mister Abrams and the Doc with my wallet for as long as possible, because I bought Mego figures at retail today, and I felt like a kid again!
        AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Comment

• comicmike
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
          I hear that crap all the time. How can a man my age collect dolls? a man my age dress up and go to cons? a man my age love dogs so much? a man my age do FX make up.

These people can wear war paint to a football game in 0 degree weather and that's okay?!?
          You are "F"iLLarious!!! Good for you!

Comment

• greensavage2000
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2013

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk

No one was coming at me like that. I just meant my excitement level is off the charts on this. The guy I was talking to actually was very supportive and encourage me to love what I love. I don't need to be told that but it was very nice to have that sentiment shown. I also found out that he loves Star Trek too.

Comment

• wise guy
              Career Member
              • Dec 29, 2014

I showed pics to a few people that don't collect these and they both wanted Star Trek
              Sulu, Chekov and The Gorn

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

I think that the Star Trek and Dracula figures are the best I’ve seen, so far.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• kerowack
                  Career Member
                  • Feb 27, 2008

Agreed. Dracula and the trek are the cream of the crop.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

For some reason when Mego first came out my brother & I never collected Star Trek or Planet of the Apes. We went strong on Superheroes and the Universal Monsters. Years later with Mego back I am going to get:

Star Trek
                    Dracula hopefully more classic monsters
                    Action Jackson (so I can have the third version of this figure and hope to see Action Jackson in different skin color)
                    Charlie Angels (so glad to see and hope we can get ALL the Angels Kate Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, Jaclyn Smith,Cheryl Ladd, Shelley Hack, and Tanya Roberts
                    Charlie's Angels classic.jpg

I Dream of Jeanie (love the two pack)

There are some I am on the fence about:

Charmed: I am wondering if we will see all four sisters and the other characters from the series.

Brady Bunch: Who are they doing from the series? Will we see different outfits from different episodes (would be a nice way to include 70 style clothing)
                    Last edited by monitor_ep; Jul 23, '18, 10:21 PM.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

I used to have more fear of companies making bad decisions and shooting themselves in the foot too early on and potentially ending a new line.

That's what made me criticize a LOT of decisions made by certain companies (altho to some it appeared I was being a buzzkill just to be a buzzkill).

THEN FTC came along, and REALLY went the distance despite starting slow and awkward in my opinion.

This Mego/Target gambit appears to be a MUCH SAFER bet than FTC appeared to be (as someone mentioned there's a LOT of money to throw around in a Target deal)... so all this makes me TOTALLY onboard with what I see.

Incredibly DIVERSE toy selection too. Might as well. Its Target, right?

Seems perfect all around.
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

I think it's worth noting this Target experience is very much an audition for the rest of the industry to observe how Mego does with this concept. Here we have a new company coming in with an old name to celebrate nostalgia product in a mass setting not seen since the early 70's. I think most of us would agree its partially EMCE with a new name, but with allot more industry muscle and a new marketing strategy. Other companies like Mattel, Hasbro, and Toybiz have attempted this, but with a ton of artistic license to try and move the look into the 21st Century. Results have been poor to mixed, but never consistent. Now we have a mostly faithful representation of that original product with a monster endorsement from it's 70's creator. There are no excuses left. All the cards are on the table. We're about to find out if the public embraces this.

Right now I'm conditioned to think about it mostly from how I've observed the smaller markets work. But that's apples and oranges compared to this setting. Most collectors will recognize names like Bif Bang Pow, EMCE, Figures Toy Company, and Castaway. But to Joe Public, most of that retro product has never reached their field of view as a consumer, because it wasn't massed produced to those markets where they reside. And the licensing in those smaller markets was typically very specific to the demands of the collectors, so they bled superheroes in various vintages. Mego is stepping well outside that thinking to cast a wide net over many tastes. Thematically its all sharing in the retro idea, but in terms of licensing it's looking for new fans that were not part of the usual suspects we see in this circle.

My initial thinking is the first wave of figures will be successful because we're in the honeymoon phase which will attract all the collectors, curiosity seekers, and of course the scalpers who want to see what they can profit from the novelty of this idea. But once that excitement calms down and seeing Megos becomes more of a regular viewing experience, THEN we'll see where the public plays into this. I have no allusions that it can be sustained by collectors alone at this volume. Mego will have to become a mainstream brand again. My fingers and toes are crossed. It's fascinating to watch.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

I think we need to wait and see how the Hollywood collectors react,guys like Seth Green. Once they get the buzz going,I'm hoping the line will do good.

Comment

• jayraytee
                            Career Member
                            • May 27, 2011

I agree with a good chunk of what MIB41 said above. I just don't see the general market/public embracing either the format or the subject choices, if collectors don't buy these I won't hold my breath as to their success as a line. My kids play with some of the FTC stuff (after I replaced the horrible bodies) because I bought some for them, in stores they typically don't even look at dolls/figures at all. If and when they do, it's modern subject matter (Frozen, Justice League Action, Incredibles, Moanna, etc.) They might like the 14" DC figures but the size might be an issue for them. They would have zero interest in the 70s era TV licenses, I hate to think what they would say if and when they see them.

I just went to our local Target and found several of the 14" DC figures, but here is another issue.. guess where I found them? In the electronics/gaming section. I found 2 more in section of collectibles/Funco stuff along the back wall behind the movies section. None in Toys. I have a feeling store to store there may not be any consistency as to where they will put them. Don't just look in the Toys section.

The $20 price point for the 14" figure will help a lot, thats not bad at all especially considering the prices of modern action figures and ..ehem... FTC's price point... $100 for an 18" cheap Mego knock off.
                            My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

It's great that we have all this to choose from. Imagine if I wanted every single one, I'd go bankrupt.
                              I want a couple of them (Mirror ST set, Sulu, Dracula), and that is more than enough for me right now.

As long as the company can sell this extensive selection, it's fine by me.

I might even buy a Golden Girl. My Jason Voorhees needs someone to chase!
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jayraytee
                                I agree with a good chunk of what MIB41 said above. I just don't see the general market/public embracing either the format or the subject choices, if collectors don't buy these I won't hold my breath as to their success as a line.
                                Collectors... or this "mainstream" audience being referenced. The guy or gal our age who happens upon them and thinks they'll make a great gift.

Or that one or two Megos might be nice to adorn their office desk... like a POP figure or something. BTW.... aren't grown-ups, and not kids, the main market for the very successful POPs?

My kids play with some of the FTC stuff (after I replaced the horrible bodies) because I bought some for them, in stores they typically don't even look at dolls/figures at all. If and when they do, it's modern subject matter (Frozen, Justice League Action, Incredibles, Moanna, etc.) They might like the 14" DC figures but the size might be an issue for them. They would have zero interest in the 70s era TV licenses, I hate to think what they would say if and when they see them.
                                I think there's a disconnect here... "mainstream collector" does not mean today's children. Frankly, I can't imagine how anyone would conclude that.

I mean, Norm Peterson or Peg Bundy meant for children? That should be a more than subtle clue.

I just went to our local Target and found several of the 14" DC figures, but here is another issue.. guess where I found them? In the electronics/gaming section.
                                That is the correct section for them.

I found 2 more in section of collectibles/Funco stuff along the back wall behind the movies section. None in Toys. I have a feeling store to store there may not be any consistency as to where they will put them. Don't just look in the Toys section.
                                You might want to see if the store made a mistake, because that's the only way these retro treats would end up that section.

Makes sense that DC characters would be the most likely to be misplaced in the toy section.
                                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎