X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

50th Anniversary Planet of the Apes

I'd like for Mego to make 50th anniversary Planet of the Apes figures. I'd like to see Verdon and Burke figures in the new ANSA astronaut outfits. Since they are making 50th anniversary Star Trek figures, they should make the Apes, too.
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Agreed, it would be cool.

However, didn't they say that APES is off the table right now? (But that they may do more in the future?)

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I hadn't heard that.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Apparently, 20th Century asked Mego to hold off on making any new figures until the Kingdom movie came out, and I guess it came and went already, I didn’t hear anything about it but it seems like it did ok. Who knows what 20th Century’s plans, or Megos plans for that matter, are with the license.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

I think the Apes movie did well, but those movies have largely came and went even when they were very big. Almost no merch NECA did some figures, but you rarely see shirts or mugs or whatever. I don't think they know how to merch the stuff or just don't think there's a market for it.

I'm surprised they never went for a more "classic" look to any of the Apes stuff. It's not even the nostalgia factor, it's literally that just regular looking apes are kinda dull. I liked the new movies (haven't see the latest one) but there's nothing particularly remarkable or iconic about any of the looks from the films, which might be why we haven't seen much merch.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

It’s really hard to merch what look like Animal Planet apes. Sure you could the people but the apes look a lot like apes.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

That is sort of ironic, the sci-fi franchise whose original merchandise spree inspired Lucas somehow doesn't cater to toys in their designs now. I like the movies, feel for the characters but yeah, I don't need any of them on my shelf.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Action Martin
                Apeonaut
                • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                I'd like for Mego to make 50th anniversary Planet of the Apes figures. I'd like to see Verdon and Burke figures in the new ANSA astronaut outfits. Since they are making 50th anniversary Star Trek figures, they should make the Apes, too.
                I agree on both points. I'm a bit jealous that Trekkers have been getting so many Star Trek Megos.
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎