X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Mego 50th Firestorm (Wave 18)

Firestorm was one of the new Mego figures I was really looking forward to getting. I always loved Firestorm; he is like DC's version of Jack Of Hearts as far as the wonderfully different costume designs. After opening Firestorm, I would say that he did not disappoint at all.

Mego Firestorm 1.jpg Mego Firestorm 2.jpg

Let's start with that head sculpt. Magnificent! From that large fire 'hair', the detail in the face the red containments parts (is that what that is?), this is one of my favorite head sculpts.

The costume looks great. The tailoring is great, from the shoulder flares to the fit on the body. I am starting to come around on the fabric gauntlets for gloves; they look good here. And the chest design is not a simple silk screen, and it looks better because of that. Of course, I have to point out the lack of puffy sleeves. I am not disappointed he does not have them, but that would have made a great looking figure that much better.

Here is the Mego Firestorm and the FTC Firestorm, another figure that sold out and did not return. FTC Firestorm has been put onto a Type-S body.

Mego Firestorm & FTC.jpg
    These are such different interpretations of the same character and I love it! I consider FTC Firestorm more of a 1st Appearance Firestorm, while Mego is more like a Fury of Firestorm version. Good stuff all around!
  • Krypt0nite
    Radioactive!
    • Feb 13, 2010

That’s fantastic! I’m glad to see that the symbol is not just a silk screen. I have gone back and forth on whether or not to double dip on Firestorm, and I am definitely going to get this one.

Comment

• nubee
      Career Member
      • Feb 15, 2010

Many thanks for pics. My Mego Firestorm should arrive sometime this week. I never liked the FTC Firestorm. To me, he looks like he is wearing a potato sack.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by nubee
        Many thanks for pics. My Mego Firestorm should arrive sometime this week. I never liked the FTC Firestorm. To me, he looks like he is wearing a potato sack.
        LOL! Yeah, it could be a bit more form fitting. If anything, FTC sometimes overthought their designs (see Red Tornado's boots).

Comment

• puckace
          Museum Super Collector
          • Feb 5, 2009

Nice! Appreciate the pictures for this wave.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I really appreciate you posting all of these figure reviews. Really great pics!

I gotta say... I was skeptical when Mego announced their lineup, as I felt that FTC had already done a fine job on these same characters. But when you see them next to each other, the Mego figures consistently are an improvement.

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

Thanks for doing this. For some reason I just was not inspired to buy any of these characters. After looking I like more of the FTC Firestorm costume, but the Mego head looks better.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

The heads are night and day between the two figures. FTC's always reminded me of my first attempt at Firestorm as a kid, when I chopped the flame off a GI Joe campfire and glued it on top of a Superman head (with the top of the hair cut off). I was worried about how long the fire trail could be for the Mego figure and still have him fit in the box; having it wafting a bit to the side was frankly a brilliant way to lengthen it while still getting it in the standard package. I do agree it gives me some very strong Pat Broderick vibes (a very good thing). The costume captures what's basically needed, and does very much feel like what Mego would have done with him.

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

The top of the insert in Firestorm’s box was open and flat. That helped him fit in the box too.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I admit the figure is probably the best in the wave, I just wish I liked the character.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Figure8
                      Museum Patron
                      • May 18, 2016

Thank you for all the great pics and the reviews. My order for most of this wave has just shipped and I can't wait for it to arrive. Some people seem disappointed because most figures have been done by FTC, but I'm happy to get another take from Mego. Although FTC's Firestorm absolutely worked for me, Mego's version looks even better I think. Especially the hair, which was too short on the FTC sculpt.

Comment

• Xavion2004
                        • Dec 15, 2022

I finally get to say what I was hoping to say about Red Tornado and Dr. Fate but couldn’t.

Mego hit Firestorm out of the park. I don’t have a single nit to pick. I absolutely love this figure, and I think he definitely belongs in the 50th anniversary line.

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

Got the Nuclear Man. In hand, he's just about perfect for a 70's Mego version of the character. The costume hits all the right notes, a little simplified but capturing the essence of the costume. The shoulders, the emblem, the belt all feel like something we could have seen back then. The head is as good as I was expecting, nicely sized and proportioned, very much feeling like the Pat Broderick run as I thought from earlier pics. As far as quality and feeling like a 70's Mego, he's easily the star of the wave. This is the standard for the 50th anniversary, right up there with GL and Flash.

Comment

• Figure8
                            Museum Patron
                            • May 18, 2016

I got Firestorm, Fate and RT this week. Really loving this wave. Right now Dr. Fate ist probably my favourite but Firestorm is awesome too. The sculpt is just a masterpiece. Yeah, they probably made the flame-hair go sideways so he could fit in the box, but it also looks great. No complaints about the suit either. They simplified it in a way that makes perfect (Mego-)sense and I think he fits in nicely with the classics. I'm really glad I preordered another Firestorm to open that will arrive soon, together with more figures from this wave. Looks like they're selling out fast.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Figure8
                              I got Firestorm, Fate and RT this week. Really loving this wave. Right now Dr. Fate ist probably my favourite but Firestorm is awesome too. The sculpt is just a masterpiece. Yeah, they probably made the flame-hair go sideways so he could fit in the box, but it also looks great. No complaints about the suit either. They simplified it in a way that makes perfect (Mego-)sense and I think he fits in nicely with the classics. I'm really glad I preordered another Firestorm to open that will arrive soon, together with more figures from this wave. Looks like they're selling out fast.
                              Yes, if you saw the original prototype, the flames on his head went straight up and were too tall to fit in a standard box and I was asked to make a shorter version. I REALLY didn’t want to do that because it looks silly to me when the flames are too short. As luck would have it, WB had notes on the sculpt and asked us to twist the flames a bit and that’s when I realized if I were to twist the flames off to the side that it could both be long and fit in the box as well! It also made the figure look like it was in motion which I thought was cool. Thanks for the compliments!
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎