X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Mego 50th Nightwing (Wave 18)

I think the Mego Nightwing is defined by its' simplicity. A onesie costume and some boots. Over the years, Nightwing's costume has been done with many style changes and tweaks. I tried to find the era that this costume best represents and I came up empty. So here is Mego's take on Nightwing.

Mego Nightwing 1.jpg Mego Nightwing 2.jpg

If the suit was a bit tighter to the body, I think it would look better, but as is, it's fine. It's a case of another company re-using a head for Nightwing, so we still don't get that all-over-the-place Nightwing hair style. I love that he comes with escrima sticks too.

Something is off for me -- the re-used Robin head? The lack of tightness in the suit? The boots? -- but I cannot really place a finger on it. I think it's a nice figure that I will find a place for, but it's not a slam dunk for me.

EDIT: The knee did not feel like it was fixed on Nightwing. Not a lot of bend on mine.

Here is the Mego Nightwing with the FTC variant Nightwing, which sold out and wasn't an easy figure to get, so it's nice that others can get a Mego-style Nightwing. My FTC Nightwing is on a Type-S body with police batons from Dr. Mego.

Mego Nightwing & FTC.jpg

And just to show off the different choices in costume design...

Mego Nightwing & FTC 2.jpg
    Last edited by TRDouble; Mar 17, '24, 2:42 PM.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Mego's printed suits are suffering because of the fabric they insist on using.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thatblockoguy
      • Mar 24, 2010

Thanks for the review pics. I was on the fence about picking him up since I have a collection of Nightwings from other toy lines. The mask is a deal breaker.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Thanks for doing this. For some reason I just was not inspired to buy any of these characters. Overall, I like the Mego Nightwing but the reuse of the Robin head was a mistake.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

He seems to be a hybrid of animated and comic designs. He doesn't seem to match a particular era precisely.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not fond of either take on the character; I know Mego has to do what WB says, but this should have been Disco Wing Night. While I think that head is one of the best Robin sculpts and possibly one of Mego's best IMO, I don't like the paint apps on this one.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
              I'm not fond of either take on the character; I know Mego has to do what WB says, but this should have been Disco Wing Night. While I think that head is one of the best Robin sculpts and possibly one of Mego's best IMO, I don't like the paint apps on this one.
              Disco NW would have been appropriate to the era, but I would have settled for the Nightfall version of that look (took away the 80's big collar for a turtleneck, but still had much of the same design). The black onesy with the blue around the shoulders (in just about any form we've seen) is one of the most boring costumes in comics. DC's fault, not Mego's, as Mego did what they could with what little they had to work with here.

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

I love this Nightwing costume! I think the NTT 1st Appearance costume is my second favorite and FTC did a nice job with that, but Knightfall was only eh for me. But when this redesign came out? I loved the simplicity of it. And the action scenes, especially when drawn by Scott McDaniel, are great, with the gauntlets and boots to add a little more to the costume. I miss those and is one thing I prefer about the FTC Nightwing. But the reused Robin head on the Mego version and the reused Disco Nightwing head on FTC's variant kills the vibe for me in both cases.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 19, 2019

I wish Mego would have just gone back and made these new bodies larger and true Mego size...these little tweaks they insist on doing is wearing me thin...

I like that Nightwing is on a modern body, but that head looks huge on him now..
                  Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎