X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Favorite UPDATE to a classic Mego?

Ok, next topic of discussion. Which Update to a CLASSIC Mego is your favorite?

I gotta go with the Gorn. Second time around is the charm. But I really like the Fleischer Superman too. And it's amazing how low effort that one is, but still a great result.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Gorn and the Fleischer Superman are both solid options. But since those are already mentioned, I will go with the Robin with the new headsculpt, scaled trunks, and stitching on the tunic. I always thought the original Robin looked dorky, but the redo makes him look like a proper superhero.

Comment

• Action Martin
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 30, 2007

I don't collect the Star Trek line but I did buy the Gorn and think it's a great update. So it's between him and the second General Ursus.
      Scott

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

For me it’s definitely the Gorn, especially since the original looked nothing like it or its clothing, a brown Lizard face and a Klingon outfit. Next I would like to see a corrected Mugato.

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Action Martin
          I don't collect the Star Trek line but I did buy the Gorn and think it's a great update. So it's between him and the second General Ursus.
          The second General Ursus is my choice for the favorite update. (I just wish the outfit fit better.)

And, I like the way they gave the POTA figures a closer to screen accurate rifle. That said, I found it weird that Ursus *didn't* have any type of weapon included.

Comment

• hizzy
            Museum Super Collector
            • Apr 1, 2023

I like the big lots Robin. I know it's supposed to be from the TV show but he looks like he could have stepped out of a 60's 70's comic.

Comment

• Mejo
              Museum Patron
              • Jun 30, 2022

Captain Marvel. The original Mego didn't look much like the comic book character, face or costume, but the new one is great. Love the details.

Robin is excellent too, although they kinda cheaped out on the cape, which is unevenly cut and frayed right out of the package. I wish more care had been put into the cape, like a hem or something. But he looks great and very New Teen Titans-ish.

The Batman trio of villains were also a great improvement, particularly the head sculpts, but Batman was a disappointment. Let's see a '70s Batman to go along with Robin!

Comment

• puckace
                Museum Super Collector
                • Feb 5, 2009

I've got to go with the Gorn here as well. Fantastic figure!

Comment

• darkbros
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 3, 2012

Both Wave 8 Batman ( in black) and Teen Robin for me.
                  Teen Robin especially because in 1976 I was reading Batman Family, and I wanted a robin who looked like th​at.
                  Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                  https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                  "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Figure8
                    Museum Patron
                    • May 18, 2016

I love the new Batman Mego did, what a fantastic sculpt! The same goes for the new Riddler. Also, the head they made for that Red Son Superman is the best Kal-El I've seen in this format.

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by TrekStar
                      For me it’s definitely the Gorn, especially since the original looked nothing like it or its clothing, a brown Lizard face and a Klingon outfit. Next I would like to see a corrected Mugato.
                      That would be a good update. If I'm not mistaken Dr. Mego had a prototype ready for the EMCE Diamond Select STAR TREK figures but D.S. opted to go with the original Mego design.
                      Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978
                        The second General Ursus is my choice for the favorite update. (I just wish the outfit fit better.)
                        I have no issues with the outfit other than the collar studs not being painted like on the first version.

And, I like the way they gave the POTA figures a closer to screen accurate rifle. That said, I found it weird that Ursus *didn't* have any type of weapon included.
                        Yes, that surprised me as well. Especially since Astronaut Taylor and Brent were accessorized with rifles and neither of them used rifles while in their ANSA outfits.
                        Scott

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

I have no issues with the outfit other than the collar studs not being painted like on the first version.
                          It's times like these that I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the back of my "2nd Version" Ursus. On the top of the back of the outfit, the velcro comes together nicely, but below the bottom of the back of the collar the velcro barely comes together at all- It goes down, and half of the velcro attaches, going down to the bottom of the tunic with *none* of the velco attaching. The front looks totally good though. One other slight pick at the new Ursus-I don't understand the blue eyes, I don't think having them blue makes his eyeballs pop anymore than black would have. (That's something that can easily be corrected though with a little paint, which I've been thinking of doing).

Yes, that surprised me as well. Especially since Astronaut Taylor and Brent were accessorized with rifles and neither of them used rifles while in their ANSA outfits.
                          Yes, I was going to mention that too-At least they gave the loincloth Brent a rifle, but loincloth Taylor definitely could have used one, since Brent came with one, as well as both "Astronaut" versions being armed.
                          Last edited by apes3978; Dec 3, '23, 5:27 AM.

Comment

• Action Martin
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 30, 2007

but loincloth Taylor definitely could have used one
                            Another Mego oddity.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰