X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Deadman Lives!

Finally found the energy to open my latest FTC delivery, this time with SF Hawkman and Deadman. Deadman comes on a tray, put inside a plastic "envelope".

Out of the package, it is a nice figure. Great head sculpt, overall good design. Yes, there are some issues.

The suit is a little baggy, especially at the arms. The new style elf boots are a tight fit. I initially replaced them with traditional Mego-style red elf boots, but I am torn of which I like better. The new style looks more like the source material.

And, yes, the body is typical FTC. Great scaling and design, awful engineering.

FTC Deadman 1.jpg

FTC Deadman 2.jpg

FTC Deadman 3.jpg

With traditional elf boots.
    FTC Deadman 4.jpg
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

So, here are some different mods.

First, I moved him onto a Type S white body. Honestly, besides the better articulation, both by design and because of the FTC regular body's issues, I don't see much of an improvement, if any. In fact, I prefer the hips of the FTC body.

FTC Deadman 5.jpg

The head was soft enough that I could squeeze it into the body, which helped with the issue of getting the suit collar over the head.

And for an additional mod, here is a modern take on Deadman, with boots and sans belt.

FTC Deadman 7.jpg

One more mod. Replace the plug-in gloves with rubber gloves.

FTC Deadman 8.jpg

Not sure how I will display Deadman, outside of being next to The Phantom Stranger.
    Last edited by TRDouble; Jun 14, '23, 1:34 PM.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
      Radioactive!
      • Feb 13, 2010

Great pictures---love the mods! I love the head sculpt which is a very classic Neal Adams or Garcia-Lopez look. The suit on mine was baggy in the sleeves as well, and his right knee is loose. Those issues aside, this is a great looking figure.

Comment

• rodkeith
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 16, 2008

Thanks for the reviews and pics, both of you! He looks good, even if it has traditional FTC body issues. Great head sculpt!

My one nitpick is that the FTC rubber belts drive me crazy; I will likely display him without it, as, being red on red, it doesn't really add anything.

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

I love the FTC rubber belt, LOL! In fact, I am excited because as soon as Deadman gets parted out, I am going to buy a few red rubber belts. I have been requesting them for a while.

Comment

• hizzy
            Museum Super Collector
            • Apr 1, 2023

Is the Type S body from Dr Mego?

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

No, developed separately and now sold by a competitor.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• nubee
                Career Member
                • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by TRDouble
                So, here are some different mods.

First, I moved him onto a Type S white body. Honestly, besides the better articulation, both by design and because of the FTC regular body's issues, I don't see much of an improvement, if any. In fact, I prefer the hips of the FTC body.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35736[/ATTACH]

The head was soft enough that I could squeeze it into the body, which helped with the issue of getting the suit collar over the head.

And for an additional mod, here is a modern take on Deadman, with boots and sans belt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35737[/ATTACH]

One more mod. Replace the plug-in gloves with rubber gloves.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35738[/ATTACH]

Not sure how I will display Deadman, outside of being next to The Phantom Stranger.
                Many thanks for the review and pics.

How well do the head fit in the type S? The Phantom Stranger head was loose in the type S body.

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by nubee
                  Many thanks for the review and pics.

How well do the head fit in the type S? The Phantom Stranger head was loose in the type S body.
                  The head fits well. It might even fit perfectly if I unassembled the body and put the head in, but I would have had to figure out the collar over the head thing and I wasn't in the mood to fidget anymore than I already had. The head is soft enough where I may have been able to figure it out by squishing it a bit, but it was also soft enough to fit the Type S and still have a tight feel. So I left it. For now. I fidget with things a lot, trying to get them just a little closer to that unachievable perfection.

This is where I am with Deadman on my shelf right now. Note, the gloves look better in person that the extra large mitts that you see in the picture.

FTC Deadman 9 - Final.jpg

Comment

• nubee
                    Career Member
                    • Feb 15, 2010

Many...many thanks for letting me know the fit of the head on the type S. I guess I gotta spend $$$ now.

I wonder would it be better with the red guard bracelet and red hands.
                    Last edited by nubee; Jun 16, '23, 4:16 AM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by nubee
                      Many...many thanks for letting me know the fit of the head on the type S. I guess I gotta spend $$$ now.

I wonder would it be better with the red guard bracelet and red hands.
                      Heh. I though about that too. I have a red Type S body and I think I have red gauntlets too. If I get a chance this weekend, I will try the combination and post the picture.

Comment

• danadoll
                        Micronaut Nut!
                        • Apr 11, 2005

You’re right about the fit of the costume, it is baggy as heck! I have to critique that collar, though...it looks bad (at least near the base and in the front). They couldn’t figures a way to close those gaps in the back and have it sewn neater in the front (it’s too bulky)? The gloves and shoes don’t bother me much and the only thing about the belt that bothers me, is the long tail that hangs out from it.

Dana
                        "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Well, FTC is addicted to pleather and rubber on their figures, and these are things that don't hold up or sew well. Using thin vinyl or flocked fabric like vintage Mego yields better results IMO.

You're correct about the bulkiness.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

THe costume does have problems. The collar almost works if the front problems had been solved. and the costume does do some unsightly sagging. It is a decent representation of Boston Brand overall, and the head looks quite good (except they still haven't fully realized that human skulls have a back to them). If it weren't for the above mentioned shortcomings, it could have been one of their best figures in a while.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎