• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BATMAN89
    Mego obsessed!!!
    • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by Robin NY
    dig it but the head size is killing me
    Me too. Seeing it next to Kid Flash, I can't get over the size.
    Last edited by BATMAN89; Aug 13, '15, 5:26 AM.
    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Same here. Almost bought my first FTC...
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I received this set yesterday and will be posting pics later today. The standouts are definitely Robin and Batgirl. Many of the updates were, in my opinion, improvements over the original Mego figures. With Robin, the scale is definitely where it always should have been (as the "boy" wonder). The scale change also helps graduate the standard Robin to his "teen wonder" status. I especially like the paint apps on the head. I think the mask and eye brow paints fit the sculpt better than the original Mego application. The head is also definitely smaller and, for me, really where it needs to be. I think if you start making the body look too large in proportion, it ceases to fit the intended look of this being a younger Robin WITHIN the Mego class.

Batgirl is gorgeous in person. The black outfit and cowl shadow paint are definite upgrades to her look. My only concern on her was the leg joints were VERY tight. I had to put some real effort into getting the knees and right hip to flex, so be careful there. Once loose, they were perfectly fine. This is an absolute perfect figure to the classic comic look. I really can't think of a better way to upgrade her. The color paint upgrades definitely made this figure more striking.

The RC Batman was descent but I was disappointed the cape was composed of a most restrictive vinyl unlike the first one, which was stellar. That first cape was a very soft and pliable material that really gave him a nice look. This is more like the course restrictive vinyl Mego used on some of their 12 inch Batman figures. The downfall is it pushes up his cowl making it harder to get his eyes lined in the cowl. I ended up having to push a little bit of tissue underneath the back portion of the cowl to tip it slightly forward so the cowl would hold tight with the eyes in the proper place. Note I did this with my original Mego RC Batmans as a kid so it was not anything I wasn't already accustom to with this style. I liked the bat emblem on this. That really gave him that golden age vibe, but the course cape definitely took away from the optics because it was not pliable enough to look seated nicely on his back.

The other Batman is okay but I'm kind of disappointed in the execution here. The cape is a soft, almost silky-smooth, material that really conforms nicely on him and is definitely an upgrade from the RC version. But the belt is kind of a distraction. What they essentially did is take the classic Batman belt, mold it in soft rubber (which is a good idea), then attempt to paint between the belt spikes and buckle. There's no way to say this other than it looks sloppy. You can see the brush strokes and they don't fill in all the space or stay within the intended space all the time. So the intended effect really comes off looking like a low-end custom. I would have molded the belt blue since that was the majority color here and just paint the buckle and belt spikes. That would have read better and not needed as much paint precision to sell the look. I DO like the emblem here. Very cool and definitely adds to the Golden age idea like the RC version. As Hedrap stated, it would have made better sense to white out his eyes and paint the forehead shadow (maybe even add the arched eyebrows) to give this more distinction. I'll probably replace the belt here because it just doesn't work. Maybe see if I can get a belt molded in blue to improve the intended idea.

But overall the set is descent. As stated, Robin and Batgirl are excellent standouts. No Mego collection should be without them in my opinion. But both Batmans had their issues, which ARE fixable with either a cape swap or a belt upgrade. The bodies on all of them were very good and had complete range of poseability. Note Batgirl may have some tight leg joints but once freed she was totally fine as well.

Comment

• SpaceAgent
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 21, 2009

I'm generally not a big fan of variants, but these are pretty nice. Mine arrived today. Batgirl definitely the best of the bunch.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
            Permanent Member
            • Mar 7, 2011

I think everything is great here... Except... Is it me and I know it's been said before about the size on 12 and 8 inch figures... The head looks like it should be on an 8 inch Figure... His head unless it's my eyes is bigger than the Mego Robins Head... And his head was always looked upon as being too big... Then standing next to Kid Flash it looks almost Double his size... But like I said other than that Love the outfit and the scale

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

I like Robin and Batgirl. Will probably get them, but it they had dropped the oven mitts for 66 Batman-like gloves, there would have been not hesitation.

With all the DC Mego figures reproduced, it's seriously time to retire the oven mitts.

Comment

• megomania
                Persistent Member
                • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by pmwasson
                I took some [large] picture tonight of the 6", yellow caped, first appearance Robin for Figure Toys Company: Everything fits very nicely. The belt is nice and tight (adjustments for looser or tighter). New 6" Robin shoes. The suit fits perfect. And the head sits firmly on the body (unlike some of the recent 8" FTC figures). With Mego 8" Robin: Looks like a kid next to the Mego Robin, which is good in my mind. All the greens of the new Robin (shorts, sleeves, gloves and shoes) match perfectly. With Mego 8" Batman: Fits in great with Batman. Even has new 6" oven mitts! With FTC Kid Flash: And he looks good as a member of the Teen Titans. Overall he is a great figure. The body feels solid and I think he looks great. The hair does have a two-tone shading effect, but its not as drastic as the prototype pictures. I think this is one of the best "original" figures FTC has made!
                Looks like Batman ran into some trouble getting the Tater Tots out of the oven....

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Robin looks like he's from Mad Magazine.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 4, 2011

I'm still waiting on my set of these figures but DANG! Robin's noggin looks massive! Yikes!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

FTC is showing no attempt to fix the head issue, and I think with the Robin they were just lazy and didn't want to shrink it for the figure.
                      Last edited by thunderbolt; Sep 8, '15, 4:41 PM.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 11, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        FTC is showing to attempt to fix the head issue, and I think with the Robin they were just lazy and didn't want to shrink it for the figure.

As usual you have no idea what your talking about.

Comment

• melkorjunior
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Apr 20, 2014

This Robin's head is gigantic, and the effect is even worse on the smaller body.

I don't understand--why can't FTC seem to make normal size heads anymore?

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ In person it looks loads better. I'm not sure what it is with cameras today but it seems like a number of things get warped in picture and video that don't translate in real life. It's a very cool figure once you see it up close. Nice update to the Mego universe.

Comment

• wise guy
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 29, 2014

I also think the final product looks better than the pics shown here. I quit trying to be a completist, and only buy what I like, because there are far too many FTC products
                              coming out to get everthing.I can't wait until we get to F.A Flash and W.W.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by mickeymoosemego
                                As usual you have no idea what your talking about.
                                Uhh, Alfred, Bizarro, Shame, some of the Kiss figures and now this Robin are a mess and I don't know what I am talking about. Guess there are numerous people on this thread that don't.
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎